ch-scene - Thu, March 26 DUKE COFFEEHOUSE presents: Phosphorescent, Deertick

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "dukecoffeehouse AT gmail.com" <dukecoffeehouse AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Thu, March 26 DUKE COFFEEHOUSE presents: Phosphorescent, Deertick
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:09:16 -0700 (PDT)

Show starts at 9:30
BYOB event
Hookah, Locopops, Chai Tea Milkshakes are some of our specialties...

"Matthew Houck=92s (of Phosphorescent) adoring fans occasionally find
themselves conscripted into straw-sheriff roles, bound to struggle
against the mob justice of Inspector Bloggit followers who'd charge
him with petty theft just because he seems aesthetically connectable
to other dignitaries within his cosmic art-folk / mystic alt-country /
slowcore-gospel idiom. The Neutral Milk Hotel comparisons that his
work used to attract were inexplicable to this typist's ears-- wtf,
because he also lived in Athens? And yes, now that he claims Brooklyn,
one can detect-- in three songs-- a flirtation with those post-Animal
Collective poles of, y'know, elliptical ethereality and raucous
tribalism in his approach to song structure and performance."-The
Pitchfork

Interview with Deertick:
Obvious: Your songs are wise well beyond your 21 years. Your music
sounds well-traveled and world-weary. What experiences do you think
have shaped your music the most?

Deer Tick: Traveling, romance and the lack thereof, some very personal
medical issues, troubling bouts with faith, newly found love of non-
faith, being molested when I was in high school, drug usage,
psychiatrists, and while I love my dad and he's probably my proudest
fan and a huge supporter, not getting to spend a lot of time with him
when I feel I needed him the most. That really hurt me. But he did
what he had to do. We had some disastrous family stuff that began
about the time I turned 10 between my family's house fire and multiple
deaths. The family stuff is ongoing, now its mostly financial stuff.
My relationship with my dad during those turbulent times is just the
reality of being a human being. I can't be bitter or angry now, but
that feeling of hurt is something that haunts me along with every
other time I've been hurt. I'm not trash talking my dad, he's a
fucking great guy. Maybe it's the mismanagement of my feelings that I
draw the most inspiration from. Oh yeah, and I'm a hopeless romantic.

  • Thu, March 26 DUKE COFFEEHOUSE presents: Phosphorescent, Deertick, dukecoffeehouse AT gmail.com, 03/24/2009