ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 7, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 7, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:33:51 -0500

Saturday, March 7
Rhymes With Opera (http://www.rhymeswithopera.org)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

RHYMES WITH OPERA and the AM/PM SAXOPHONE QUARTET present an evening of new chamber music and opera, featuring music by Kathleen Bader, Mattias Sköld, and the premiere of two new works written for RWO.

THOMAS LIMBERT (RWO commission)
Numbers/Dates
(Anxiety Leading to Panic)

Skeleton
Libretto by THIMBLE WIT
Music by RUBY FULTON and GEORGE LAM

With Elisabeth Halliday, soprano, Bonnie Lander, soprano, Robert Maril, baritone, and the AM/PM Saxophone Quartet

Rhymes With Opera will be collaborating with the AM/PM saxophone quartet to present a concert of new works, including a premiere by pulsoptional composer Thom Limbert. The piece, Numbers/Dates (Anxiety Leading to Panic), a Rhymes With Opera commission, uses voice samples from University of Pennsylvania's research on "emotional prosody," creating and interweaving natural speech in different emotional states with singers and saxophones. In addition to the Limbert premiere, Rhymes With Opera will present Skeleton, a new opera by Thimble Wit, Ruby Fulton and George Lam, where three strangers meet by chance on a train and one of them begins to tell the story of a betrayed lover and his disturbing revenge.

Saturday, March 7
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Anathallo (http://www.anathallo.com/)
Sam Amidon (http://www.samamidon.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, March 7
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
The Pinhook, Durham

12:00 - Virgo 9
11:00 - The Wigg Report
10:00 - Blood Red River

Heavy screamy woman-fronted rock from the Virgo 9; punk-inflected surf from Blood Red River; classic New Soundz of Durham from the Wigg Report, whose "Like Blammo Fast" was one of my fave releases of 2008.

Saturday, March 7
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Nathan Oliver CD, their first in a couple of years. Their debut was a mix of catchy indie-pop and Pixies-inflenced screech; I haven't seen them in ages, so I couldn't say whether they've veered more one direction or the other.

Saturday, March 7
Keegan DeWitt (http://www.keegandewitt.com/)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Gabriel Kelley (http://www.myspace.com/gabrielkelleymusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 7
Thank You (http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/?id=11346)
Mi Ami (http://www.myspace.com/miamiamiami)
bETAVEG
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It must be SXSW time, because random hot outtatown bands of the moment are blitzing through. This night is still nominally FrequeNC Records night, but a chunk of the evening is given over to Thrill Jockey's Thank You, and Quarterstick's Mi Ami. The former are a fuzz-synth/drone/tribal-drumming trio from Baltimore. The latter, which contain some ex-members of Black Eyes, are from San Francisco, and they sound like alternate-universe dub where the drug of choice is PCP. Lots of echo bass, deep grooves, and high-pitched tweaker screeching/ranting over the top of it. It's kinda fun, and definitely fucked-up.

Saturday, March 7
Hank Sinatra (http://www.hank-sinatra.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 7
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Trophy Wife (http://trophywifetheband.blogspot.com/)
Reservoir, Carrboro

It's a gtr/drums duofest of sorts, with locals Ruscha and Curtains of Night (both heavy as all-get-out) and DC's Trophy Wife.

Sunday, March 8
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Ed Schrader (http://www.myspace.com/edwardhenryschraderiii)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Greenville-to-Baltimore transplants Future Islands join their former Greenville homies Lonnie Walker, who were recently showcased in the News & Observer's Great 8 (bands to watch in 2009).

Sunday, March 8
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Middlemen (http://themiddlemenmusic.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 8
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
The Bridges (http://www.thebridgesmusic.net)
Death on Two Wheels
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, March 9
William Elliott Whitmore (http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW)
Samantha Crain & the Morning Shivers (http://www.myspace.com/samanthacrain)
Ben Weaver (http://www.myspace.com/benweavermusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 9
Chiaroscuro
Mouthbreather
Bridge and Tunnel
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 9
The Taylor Texas Corrugators (http://www.myspace.com/txcorrugators)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

As in "Greg Ginn and the Taylor Texas Corrugators," which is Greg's Texas-boogie/western swing band. Or something like that. The heckling opportunities are endless, obviously, but there are few men in the history of American rock who've been heckled more than Greg Ginn, so it's A-game or no game.

Tuesday, March 10
Lydia (http://www.myspace.com/lydia)
Black Gold (http://profile.myspace.com/blackgold)
All Get Out (http://www.myspace.com/allgetout)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 10
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Lost Hands Found Fingers (http://www.myspace.com/losthandsfoundfingers)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, March 11
Morrissey (http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/)
Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham

I got more enjoyment in high school from tweaking the Smiths fans than from actually listening to the Smiths . . . anytime I DJed, I routinely honored Smiths requests by playing "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others." Sorry!

Never really paid a whit of attention to Morrissey's solo career, but when this show was announced, I figured it would be enough of a spectacle -- and right here in downtown Durham, in a swank new theatre -- that I went ahead & bought tickets.

They came with a download coupon for the new album, which I finally got around to redeeming, and lo and behold, it's pretty damn great. Now I'm actually looking forward to the show.

Wednesday, March 11
Slingshot Cash (http://www.myspace.com/slingshotcash)
Evenfield (http://www.myspace.com/evenfieldmusic)
Chris'n'Jay (http://myspace.com/jayshirleykeyboards)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, March 11
Early Man (http://www.earlymanarmy.com)
Red Fang (http://www.redfang.net/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Red Fang is the Portland band with John Sherman (Resol, Mercury Birds) and David Sullivan (Shiny Beast, Mercury Birds). All you really need to know about them (apart from the fact that they're fucking AWESOME) can be learnt from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

Thursday, March 12
Lucy Wainwright Roche (http://www.myspace.com/lwrlwr)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This show is at 7:30. Lucy Wainwright Roche, as indicated by her name, is another offspring of Loudon Wainwright and Suzzy Roche, which makes her Rufus's sister. Apparently, in some futile attempt to escape destiny, she took an M.Ed and has been teaching school for a while now, but clearly she's found performing unavoidable. Genes are powerful things.

Thursday, March 12
Vetiver (http://www.vetiverse.com)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Sian Alice Group (http://www.myspace.com/sianalicegroup)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Vetiver are the San Francisco band led by ex-Greensboroian Andy Cabic (ex-Raymond Brake, though that was a long time ago), and featuring fellow former Greensboroians Sanders Trippe & Brent Dunn, both ex-Rebar.

Megafaun are believed to be putting the finishing touches on an album of such majestic beauty that it will instantly render other, lesser forms of beauty, such as YouTube videos of kittens, obsolete.

Thursday, March 12
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
The Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/theantlers)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is, I think, the first Le Weekend show since the departure of Ben & Erin Ridings. My money is on them *still* being dizzying, confusing, fucked-up, great.

Thursday, March 12
Clem Snide (http://www.clemsnide.com)
The Heligoats (http://www.myspace.com/theheligoats)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 12
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
The Pinhook, Durham

Shows at the Pinhook generally actually start on time, so this schedule can actually more or less be relied upon:

12:00 - The Alcazar Hotel
11:00 - Instant Jones
10:00 - Jokes & Jokes & Jokes

Thursday, March 12
Winterpills (http://www.winterpills.com)
Mighty Zorgon (http://www.myspace.com/mightyzorgon)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 12
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers show. Lonnie Walker are a band from Greenville who make a countryish indie-rock that falls somewhere in the (comparatively large & well-populated) neighborhood of Dylan and Pavement. I actually quite enjoyed them the one time I saw them last year.

Lake Inferior are one of a handful of UNC/Chapel Hill bands on the new UNC-based Vinyl Records label.

Thursday, March 12
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
River City Ransom
The Brewery, Raleigh

Three weird and/or boozy Durham indie-rock bands invade the storied Brewery, which lately seems to book mostly screamo and metal-ish bands.

Thursday, March 12
Stalkers
Love City
DJ Midnite Cowboy
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, March 13
Junior Brown (http://www.juniorbrown.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 13
The Airborne Toxic Event (http://www.myspace.com/theairbornetoxicevent)
Alberta Cross (http://www.myspace.com/albertacross)
The Henry Clay People (http://www.myspace.com/thehenryclaypeople)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's definitely SXSW time. The Airborne Toxic Event have a *lot* of glowing quotes from the English Music Press on their MySpace, and we of course know what that means. Catch 'em before their 45 seconds are up.

Friday, March 13
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
Oyster Destroyster
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a bon-voyage show for Felix Obelix, who're on their way down to SXSW. They're the brainchild of Wendy Spitzer (ex-Eyes to Space, Lemming Malloy, Gates of Beauty, etc), and they're both incredibly compelling and completely fucking nutso. Gorgeous complex arrangements, topped by Wendy's impossibly high vocals about time-travel and other metaphysical issues of memory and past/futurism.

Here's the lineup:

12:00 - Lemming Malloy
11:00 - Physics of Meaning
10:00 - Felix Obelix
With intermitent sets by local fave Oyster Destroyster!

Note: Oyster Destroyster operate by handing out lyric sheets & then leading the audience in sea-chanty singalongs. YES!

Friday, March 13
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Altamira (http://www.myspace.com/altamiraphilly)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 13
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 13
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Chip Robinson & the Heavy Beat Outfit
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a CD release party for Terry Anderson's Olympic Ass-Kicking Team; they're joined by former Backslider Chip Robinson's newish band, the Heavy Beat Outfit.

Friday, March 13
The Invisible Hand
Wild Wild Geese
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, March 13
In The Red
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Colin Moore (http://www.myspace.com/colinsacoustic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, March 14
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
Greg Humphreys
Bull McCabe's, Durham

This is a fundraiser to fight Cystic Fibrosis. The show begins at 4:00 p.m. and will go until whenever things wind down. The full lineup as of now (with potentially more to be announced) is as follows:

Schooner
Erie Choir
Lynn Blakey
Regina Hexaphone
Greg Humphreys
Zeno Gill
The KinKsmen
Shipwrecker

Saturday, March 14
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Bones Royal
Triangle Brewing Company, Durham

This is a CD-release party / bon voyage bash for Red Collar, the members of whom have all just quit their day-jobs in order to become full-time rockers. Their nominal home-base is still gonna be Durham, of course, but for the next six months or so, their primary home will be the road.

Triangle Brewing Company, brewers of exceptionally tasty Belgian and American-style ales, will be hosting this show "kinda like a house-party, warehouse-style." If the weather's as warm & perfect as it is *this* weekend, it'll be outdoors.

Yer $10 gets you in the door, *and* gets you a copy of that new Red Collar CD, "Pilgrim," which is chock-full of all the singalong anthems you doubtless know by heart by now, considering how long this thing has been percolating.

Saturday, March 14
Bishop Allen (http://www.bishopallen.com/)
Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band (http://www.myspace.com/mtsthelensvietnamband)
Singsing & Marmar (http://www.myspace.com/singsingmarmar )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

What bugs me is not the existence of bands called things like "The Airborne Toxic Event" or "Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band," but rather that they're actually getting a fair amount of attention, in the blogs and elsewhere, and thus might encourage similar poor naming judgement among other bands. It's a sure sign of civilization's impending collapse.

Saturday, March 14
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
FrequeNC Sound System (http://www.frequenc.net/happenings.htm)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's Nightlight's 6th Anniversary (I know! Amazing! Who'da thunk it??). Congratulations!

Saturday, March 14
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
The Moderate
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, March 14
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Noseriders (http://www.myspace.com/thenoseriders)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Bryon Settle (Killer Filler, Lud, ex-Pressure Boys) wrote:

Ever since Sleazefest went kaput, and bands like the Family Dollar Pharaohs and X-Rayons hung up their axes, your best chance of getting ones' surf music groove on in the Triangle was with your CD player (Ipods don't have much choice here--yet!). We, the obstinate members of Killer Filler, the Triangle's FINEST surf-soul-rock-lounge- instrumental-fuzz-guitar- organ-from-outer-space band, have sought to rectify this situation, bringing fellow instrumental bands to US, in what we hope will be the first of many shows, what we're calling INSTRO SUMMITS.

Our first Instro Summit (a mini-summit of sorts) will be Saturday, March 14th at the Cave in Chapel Hill, and will feature Killer Filler with Wilmington NC's The Noseriders. They play a ragged-but-right combo of instrumental surf and instrumental new wave music. The Noseriders have evolved from the remains of the Stunt Doubles, Wilmington's other great surf band of recent years. This will be their first trip to our area, and we're hoping they'll have a large, welcoming crowd. This don't-miss meeting of the minds starts at 10pm.

Saturday, March 14
Tiger Bear Wolf (http://www.tigerbearwolf.com)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
The Pinhook, Durham

One of many good things about Maple Stave's Evan Rowe playing in des_ark is that he's in constant contact with guitarist Noah Howard, of the awesome but often hibernatory Greensboro band TigerBearWolf. They've been lured out of hibernation (is it this fucked-up weather?) for this one; don't miss it.

Sunday, March 15
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Savage Knights merge post-Zorn skronk with shots of heavy rock *and* a deep appreciation for Eric Dolphy; they can be subtly gorgeous and pummeling, often within the space of a single song.

4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, March 15
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The latest installment in the long-running monthly-ish local short-films series/minifestival. Everything's shot on film & under 20 minutes; it's the perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday evening.

Sunday, March 15
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Let's Wrestle (http://www.myspace.com/letsfuckingwrestle)
Suckers (http://www.myspace.com/suckerstheband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

You'd have to work pretty damn hard to have a bad time at a Dirty Little Heaters show; their garage-rock stomp and Reese McHenry's mighty eight-lunged bellow will pretty much erase anything you've got stuck in yr brain, good & bad alike.

Monday, March 16
Orphan
Obits (http://www.myspace.com/obitsband)
Bear Hands (http://www.myspace.com/bearhandsband)