ch-scene - RE: Stuff to do, week of February 7, 2009 (grady)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "David Menconi" <dmenconi AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Stuff to do, week of February 7, 2009 (grady)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:41:29 -0500

This is a showcase for four of the eight artists featured in this year's
News & Observer Great 8, which is an annual feature spotlighting eight
local bands to watch in the coming year. It's always a mix of poppier
bands whom the average N&O music-section reader might dig, and a few
wild-cards (here, blistering hardcore band Double Negative) who've
achieved a level of prominence big enough to qualify as news. (In the
case of Double Negative, being invited to play the UK All Tomorrow's
Parties curated by the Melvins certainly counts.)

If one still believed that daily papers had any real power or authority,
one could spend a bit too much time analyzing the selection, and/or
griping about all the bands who got left out. But it's 2009, and given
the modern landscape of daily print journalism, it's pretty amazing that
the paper's editors were willing to devote the column-inches at all, let
alone provide the resources to put together such a snazzy multimedia
package.

It has clearly crossed over from "journalistic obligation" to "crazy
labor of love," and that just proves what I've already known for the 17
years that I've lived in the Triangle: the N&O's David Menconi is a
kindred spirit.

Awwwww...

You are to kind. But I would be remiss if I didn't add that I had partners
in this labor of love -- Jason Arthurs, Travis Long & Lamonte Garrett from
the N&O's multi-media department, who made the online package so fantastic
(and put in an immense amount of their own time to do so).

Now I just gots to hope we get to do it again next year.

Cheers,

David Menconi

  • RE: Stuff to do, week of February 7, 2009 (grady), David Menconi, 02/07/2009