ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of January 10, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Evan Rowe <evanrowe AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of January 10, 2009
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:19:42 -0500

To clarify, this is a loud rock band show--

=Evan

grady wrote:

Thursday, January 15
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Polar Opposite Bear
Ava Luna (http://www.myspace.com/avalunaband)
The Pinhook, Durham

des_ark are currently a modified power-trio, with Aimee Argote and Noah Howard (ex-Strunken White) on guitars, and Evan Rowe (Maple Stave) on drums. Unless this is an Aimee-solo show, in which case you can probably figure that out.

Ava Luna are from Brooklyn, and the demo they sent is a weird (WEIRD) mix of stripped-down electro beats, kinda-overbearing frontman dude-vox, and a multi-woman choir of girl-group-style backup singers. I couldn't really handle it on CD for more than a few minutes, but I did think to myself "this'd probably be pretty fucked-up live." So we'll see.