ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 5, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 5, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 13:15:19 -0500

Friday, December 5
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Friday, December 5
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
The Pinhook, Durham

This is the official opening-night party for The Pinhook, who've been open for a month already, more or less, but wanted to give themselves a chance to work out any glitches before throwing the party. Now is the time!

The Pinhook is easily my favorite bar/rockclub in the Triangle, and I'm not just saying that because it's down the street from my house, and staffed by peeps I know. The space is swank without being fussy; the folks are friendly; memberships are cheap; and the beers on tap are nearly all local. They've got liquor for those poor benighted souls who can't stomach beer; and they're nonsmoking.

Friday, December 5
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Stella By Starlight are a Duke-originated band, who make synthy, angular dance-rock. Luego also began life as a Duke-related band, but grew to something else entirely with the addition of Peter Holsapple (dBs) on guitar (though his blog suggests that thus far he's content to play the hired-gun guitarist role).

Friday, December 5
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Black Congo (http://www.myspace.com/blackcongonc)
Twin Tigers
The Fertile Crescent (http://www.myspace.com/thefertilecrescent)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I read an article in Shuffle Magazine about Charlotte's Black Congo; it made 'em sound like an experiment still-in-progress, but given that they come from the same freak-scene as the utterly brilliant Yard Work, I'm going to take that as a good sign.

Friday, December 5
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Sexy Prime (http://sexyprime.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Black Skies are a metal band, featuring longtime Cradle doorman Kevin Clark. Sexy Prime started out as a band of coworkers at a local tech firm, but they've veered off from there. They play out very infrequently, but near as I can tell, they still contain Brian Risk (of genius "It's Carrboro" rap fame) and Chuck Garrison (Pipe, Small, Zen Frisbee, etc).

Friday, December 5
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Jeff Hart
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Future Kings of Nowhere make catchy, poppy acousti-punk about breakups, and breakups. And breakups. Jeff Hart has been in a ton of bands, from new-wave to Kinksy rock, alt-country to Neil Young. There have been more than a few broken hearts enumerated in Jeff's songs through the years, as well.

Friday, December 5
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Static Minds
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, December 6
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Roxcetera (http://www.myspace.com/roxcetera)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Basalt (http://www.myspace.com/nickyisbasalt)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Actual Persons (Living or Dead) is Dave & Kerry Cantwell, plus Joyce Ventimiglia. At the show I saw, Joyce sang most/all the songs, and so if you saw her bands Holy Roman Empire or America's Next Top Models, they're sort of not at all like those bands, but maybe also similar.

Basalt is the resurrection of Nicky Trimiar's old solo side-project thing. Nicky's from Greensboro, and was in the original (more swirly/psych) lineup of the Mercury Birds, and later in a great short-lived band called Taija Rae. I don't know whether Basalt is currently just Nicky, or is more of a band.

Speaking of resurrections, Roxcetera is a newly-constituted (somewhat different lineup) version of that classic old Triangle chick-metal band Roxxotica.

Also on the bill: the awesome quiet-pop of Wembley.

Saturday, December 6
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Sawteeth McTweedy and the Particles (http://www.myspace.com/sawteethmctweedy)
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Lake and Hennepin
The Pinhook, Durham

Bravo again to Pinhook for posting their start times:

01:00 Sequoya
12:00 Scientific Superstar
11:00 Sawteeth McTweedy
10:00 Lake & Hennepin (Reese from the Dirty Little Heaters Solo)

Saturday, December 6
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Radar Brothers (http://www.mergerecords.com/bands/radar/bio.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I listened to the new Lud album, V, a good bit while driving around rainy Upstate SC over Thanksgiving. It seemed to go well with wet leaves, single-wide trailers and cow pastures. But then I suspect I'd say the same of just about anyplace I listened to it, because I think highly of it.

Saturday, December 6
DJ Nasty Boots
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Datahata
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's FrequeNC Records night, always a mixed platter of electronics, rockbands, and DJs.

Saturday, December 6
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is a 4th-anniversary party for Reservoir, the little "not a rockclub" bar that evolved pretty quickly to hold down a crucial corner of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro rockclub market. The bands on this bill most/all feature folks who've been an integral part of bidnesses in that space, from Reservoir to Track & Field (RIP), all the way back to Go! Studios & Rm.4. They're also, perhaps not coincidentally, some of the best rockbands in the Triangle.

Saturday, December 6
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Pacific Before Tiger
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 6
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Here Lies
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, December 6
Bain Mattox (http://www.bainmattox.com/)
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
American Gun
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, December 7
The Antagonizers (http://www.antagonizers.com/)
Murphy's Law
Echelon
The Shotdowns (http://www.myspace.com/theshotdowns)
No Revolution (http://www.myspace.com/norevolutionband)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Monday, December 8
Off With Their Heads (http://www.myspace.com/offwiththeirheads)
The Begin-Agains (http://www.myspace.com/thebeginagains)
The Aints (http://www.myspace.com/latterdayaints)
Dear Landlord (http://www.myspace.com/letslynchthedearlandlord)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

For a venue that only seems to have about 2-3 shows a month, a surprising percentage of them wind up on Mondays. Damn punk kids.

Monday, December 8
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Angela Desveaux (http://www.myspace.com/angeladesveaux)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Montreal-born, Cape Breton-raised Thrill Jockey recording artist Angela Desveaux likely has no idea how lucky she is to be booked with one of the Triangle's greatest (and periodically reclusive) bands, Erie Choir. Angela's all right on her own: a voice that's somewhere between Lucinda Williams and Chrissie Hynde, and sorta-country, sorta-rock music to match. But Erie Choir, aka the most criminally still-undiscovered band in North Carolina . . . that's a whole nother thing. Go.

Tuesday, December 9
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Terrible Twos (http://www.myspace.com/terribletwos)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spider Bags are just about the biggest, most glorious onstage trainwreck I've seen since the glory days of Whiskeytown in the mid-90s. And I mean that as a [high] compliment. I've rarely seen such highly-charged music come out of a band so obviously on the verge of pitching headlong off the stage.

Wednesday, December 10
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 10
Matt Stillwell (http://www.myspace.com/mattstillwell)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 11
The Invisible Hand
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Orphan
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 11
Inspector 22
Impossible Arms
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Inspector 22 is Todd Emmert, who is/has been half of the core duo at the heart of Mowing Lawns. The other half, Mike Meyerson, is in Impossible Arms with Clarque and Caroline (Waumiss, Shallow Be Thy Name).

Thursday, December 11
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Friday, December 12
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Pizza Palace, Durham

Pink Flag are a great young all-woman trio who make punkrock that's somewhere between the rip-it-up of Riot Grrrrl and the fuck-with-yr-head of Raincoats/Au Pairs.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan have never been mistakable for any other band, even when they're covering "Born To Run." Their songs start, stop, slip sideways, and then when you're off-balance, leap offstage and sit on your chest until you start crying.

Ex-Monkeys are two-thirds of the late-90s live trip-hop band Friend Side Monkey; nowadays it's Eddy Winstead on the turntables (Serato Scratch having expanded those possibilities near-infinitely), and Ian Shannon on sequencer, samples, and some live bass.

Friday, December 12
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Flute Flies (http://www.myspace.com/thefluteflies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a launch party for the CyTunes website (http://www.cytunes.org), where you'll be able to purchase & download exclusive music, with all proceeds going to fight cancer, in honor of our man Cy Rawls.

In addition to the dulcet 2nd Brit Invasion-styled pop-tones of Magic Babies, you'll witness the debut of the Flute Flies (Ivan (Rosebuds) Howard, Reid (Schooner) Johnson, Zeno (Sames) Gill). Plus a round of music trivia, DJing by Viva Cohen, and Rockin' Ammonia Karaoke.

Friday, December 12
John Howie
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 12
Our Velvet Revolution
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 13
Cool John Ferguson (http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This show starts at 8:00 and costs $15. Cool John is an electric blues guitarist who spent a lot of time playing in dives around Durham, before moving back to Beaufort SC a couple of years ago.

Saturday, December 13
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
The Hall Monitors (http://www.hallmonitors.net)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This show is a little bit reversed from yr normal S.C.O.T.S. show: instead of them tossing food at you from the stage, it's a concert for the NC Food Bank, so you'll get $1 off if you bring a canned good.

Saturday, December 13
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

In case you've forgotten why "Raleigh Rock" is a brand recognizable statewide, this show should serve as reminder. From the full-on hardrock/psych/glam genius, to the garage-rock of the Loners, this is quick primer on the current state of the Raleigh Rock art.

Saturday, December 13
The Strugglers (http://www.thestrugglers.org/)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Pneurotics are an indie-rock band of the "bitter songs about exes" variety. The Strugglers are a panoramic country-soul band formed around the nucleus of singer/songwriter Randy Bickford and his lovely, fragile-sounding voice.

Per the website:
11:00 - The Strugglers
10:00 - The Pneurotics

Saturday, December 13
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 13
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Saint Peter Pocket Veto (http://www.myspace.com/thesaintpeterpocketveto)
Space Mammal
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

CGJ you already know about. Curtains of Night are a gtr/drums two-piece. On record, all the songs follow the same basic formula: slow chords on massive overdriven feedbacky guitar, somewhat hyperactive drums, and Nora screaming the lyrics in a deliberate measured cadence. Onstage, it's technically much the same, but the volume is so loud & the sensation so visceral that it feels completely different.

Saturday, December 13
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Two of the best garage-rock bands in the state of North Carolina. The Loners have perfected their brand of gtr/drums three-chord stomp; the Heaters used to be a duo, but now they're a massive three-piece, and frontwoman Reese McHenry's giant voice is somehow paradoxically even mightier than before.

Saturday, December 13
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
The Nondenoms
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This show is at 11:00 and costs $3.

Sunday, December 14
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is an early show; it's billed as "an acoustic evening with . . ."

Monday, December 15
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
The Scene of the Crime Rovers (http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/xmasfront.html)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is an annual party thrown by the folks at Trekky Records. Their Trekky Yuletide Orchestra is an amalgam of members of all the bands on the label, plus whomever else they can draft into it; they play Christmas music, un-ironically, and with great gusto.

The rest of the bands on the bill will typically play short sets of holiday-related songs, either their own, or well-chosen covers. It's a blast.

Monday, December 15
Wax Fang (http://www.myspace.com/waxfang)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, December 16
American Bang (http://www.americanbang.net)
Dub Trio (http://www.myspace.com/dubtrio)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of December 5, 2008, grady, 12/05/2008