ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 2, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 2, 2008
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 18:33:43 -0500

I'm assuming you already know about David Byrne in Raleigh on Monday the 8th, and have made your decisions about that already.

Wednesday, December 3
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs (http://www.myspace.com/minnieskirtandthebootlegs)
Aquila (http://www.myspace.com/beyondvega)
Burning Rays (http://www.myspace.com/burningrays)
Marvell Building, Durham

Savage Knights are one of my favorite local bands. They're a "jazz" band, and include local faves Crowmeat Bob and Chris Eubank, but they're omnivorous enough in their tastes to have managed to cover both Ethiopian groovemaster Mulatu Astatqe and the Melvins on their first album. Touchstones would also include Eric Dolphy & John Zorn. And the Boredoms.

Wednesday, December 3
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

The Rosebuds have just completed the classic indie-rock lap-of-the-lower-48, doing the Durham -> Nashville -> Chicago -> Madison -> Iowa City -> Vancouver -> Seattle -> Portland -> SF -> LA -> Tucson -> Austin -> Atlanta loop in just over three weeks. They aren't done yet, either: the Northeast awaits. So catch 'em while they're bleary-eyed, stinky, and happy to be home, if only for a couple of days.

Also on the bill, Raleigh's sublime Loners.

Wednesday, December 3
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers (http://www.prayersandtears.com/)
O'Death (http://odeath.net/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Megafaun just did a string of dates up the middle of the country with the Rosebuds. Tonight finds them hooking up with damaged oldtime/freakout fellow-travelers O'Death. Opening the show is PATOADs frontman Perry Wright, in his solo configuration.

Thursday, December 4
DJ Nasty Boots
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Le Weekend EP, "Suite." It's only slightly less mysterious than their live shows, if only because you can start songs over as needed, once you get lost in the middle. Which you will. It's art-rock, and part of the art involves busting out giant pop hooks and then abruptly inverting or dropping them entirely.

Actual Persons (Living or Dead) is a new project from Dave Cantwell (CGJ, The Whole World Laughing, etc), his wife Kerry, and Joyce Ventimiglia (America's Next Top Models).

Thursday, December 4
The Travesties (http://www.myspace.com/travestiesnc)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Fad (http://www.myspace.com/thefad)
Reservoir, Carrboro

The Travesties reunite three original members of Jett Rink (Tim, Vespah, and Viva) along with Doug White on keys and Chuck Garrison on drums. The average tempo is a little less frantic than Jett Rink, and there's more focus on melody, but they'll likely still seem familiar to old fans.

Friday, December 5
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These shows at the Dillo start around 5:00 p.m., so you can easily squeeze in two, or even three shows in one evening.

Friday, December 5
Panda Force (http://www.myspace.com/pandaforceband)
At the Stars (http://www.myspace.com/atthestarsrock)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, December 5
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Sea Cow
Pizza Palace, Durham

Friday, December 5
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Friday, December 5
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
The Pinhook, Durham

This is the official opening-night party for The Pinhook, who've been open for a month already, more or less, but wanted to give themselves a chance to work out any glitches before throwing the party. Now is the time!

The Pinhook is easily my favorite bar/rockclub in the Triangle, and I'm not just saying that because it's down the street from my house, and staffed by peeps I know. The space is swank without being fussy; the folks are friendly; memberships are cheap; and the beers on tap are nearly all local. They've got liquor for those poor benighted souls who can't stomach beer; and they're nonsmoking.

Friday, December 5
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Stella By Starlight are a Duke-originated band, who make synthy, angular dance-rock. Luego also began life as a Duke-related band, but grew to something else entirely with the addition of Peter Holsapple (dBs) on guitar (though his blog suggests that thus far he's content to play the hired-gun guitarist role).

Friday, December 5
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Black Congo (http://www.myspace.com/blackcongonc)
Twin Tigers
The Fertile Crescent (http://www.myspace.com/thefertilecrescent)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I read an article in Shuffle Magazine about Charlotte's Black Congo; it made 'em sound like an experiment still-in-progress, but given that they come from the same freak-scene as the utterly brilliant Yard Work, I'm going to take that as a good sign.

Friday, December 5
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Sexy Prime (http://sexyprime.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Black Skies are a metal band, featuring longtime Cradle doorman Kevin Clark. Sexy Prime started out as a band of coworkers at a local tech firm, but they've veered off from there. They play out very infrequently, but near as I can tell, they still contain Brian Risk (of genius "It's Carrboro" rap fame) and Chuck Garrison (Pipe, Small, Zen Frisbee, etc).

Friday, December 5
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Jeff Hart
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Future Kings of Nowhere make catchy, poppy acousti-punk about breakups, and breakups. And breakups. Jeff Hart has been in a ton of bands, from new-wave to Kinksy rock, alt-country to Neil Young. There have been more than a few broken hearts enumerated in Jeff's songs through the years, as well.

Friday, December 5
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Static Minds
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, December 6
Roxcetera (http://www.myspace.com/roxcetera)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Basalt (http://www.myspace.com/nickyisbasalt)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Actual Persons (Living or Dead) is Dave & Kerry Cantwell, plus Joyce Ventimiglia. At the show I saw, Joyce sang most/all the songs, and so if you saw her bands Holy Roman Empire or America's Next Top Models, they're sort of not at all like those bands, but maybe also similar.

Basalt is the resurrection of Nicky Trimiar's old solo side-project thing. Nicky's from Greensboro, and was in the original (more swirly/psych) lineup of the Mercury Birds, and later in a great short-lived band called Taija Rae. I don't know whether Basalt is currently just Nicky, or is more of a band.

Speaking of resurrections, Roxcetera is a newly-constituted (somewhat different lineup) version of that classic old Triangle chick-metal band Roxxotica.

Saturday, December 6
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Sawteeth McTweedy and the Particles (http://www.myspace.com/sawteethmctweedy)
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Lake and Hennepin
The Pinhook, Durham

Bravo again to Pinhook for posting their start times:

01:00 Sequoya
12:00 Scientific Superstar
11:00 Sawteeth McTweedy
10:00 Lake & Hennepin (Reese from the Dirty Little Heaters Solo)

Saturday, December 6
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Radar Brothers (http://www.mergerecords.com/bands/radar/bio.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I listened to the new Lud album, V, a good bit while driving around rainy Upstate SC over Thanksgiving. It seemed to go well with wet leaves, single-wide trailers and cow pastures. But then I suspect I'd say the same of just about anyplace I listened to it, because I think highly of it.

Saturday, December 6
DJ Nasty Boots
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Datahata
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's FrequeNC Records night, always a mixed platter of electronics, rockbands, and DJs.

Saturday, December 6
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is a 4th-anniversary party for Reservoir, the little "not a rockclub" bar that evolved pretty quickly to hold down a crucial corner of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro rockclub market. The bands on this bill most/all feature folks who've been an integral part of bidnesses in that space, from Reservoir to Track & Field (RIP), all the way back to Go! Studios & Rm.4. They're also, perhaps not coincidentally, some of the best rockbands in the Triangle.

Saturday, December 6
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Pacific Before Tiger
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 6
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Here Lies
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, December 6
Bain Mattox (http://www.bainmattox.com/)
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
American Gun
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, December 7
The Antagonizers (http://www.antagonizers.com/)
Murphy's Law
Echelon
The Shotdowns (http://www.myspace.com/theshotdowns)
No Revolution (http://www.myspace.com/norevolutionband)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Monday, December 8
Off With Their Heads (http://www.myspace.com/offwiththeirheads)
The Begin-Agains (http://www.myspace.com/thebeginagains)
The Aints (http://www.myspace.com/latterdayaints)
Dear Landlord (http://www.myspace.com/letslynchthedearlandlord)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

For a venue that only seems to have about 2-3 shows a month, a surprising percentage of them wind up on Mondays. Damn punk kids.

Monday, December 8
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Angela Desveaux (http://www.myspace.com/angeladesveaux)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Montreal-born, Cape Breton-raised Thrill Jockey recording artist Angela Desveaux likely has no idea how lucky she is to be booked with one of the Triangle's greatest (and periodically reclusive) bands, Erie Choir. Angela's all right on her own: a voice that's somewhere between Lucinda Williams and Chrissie Hynde, and sorta-country, sorta-rock music to match. But Erie Choir, aka the most criminally still-undiscovered band in North Carolina . . . that's a whole nother thing. Go.

Tuesday, December 9
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Terrible Twos (http://www.myspace.com/terribletwos)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spider Bags are just about the biggest, most glorious onstage trainwreck I've seen since the glory days of Whiskeytown in the mid-90s. And I mean that as a [high] compliment. I've rarely seen such highly-charged music come out of a band so obviously on the verge of pitching headlong off the stage.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------