ch-scene - Jule Brown at Cat's Cradle w/ Fastball on Nov 30.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mark Holland <mholland101 AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Jule Brown at Cat's Cradle w/ Fastball on Nov 30.
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:02:49 -0500

Happy Holidaze to All,

We are at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC for our next show w/ Fastball
on Nov 30.
For more info, please visit http://www.catscradle.com for more info.

Biography

"Jilted lovers everywhere might consider the example of Jule
Brown, who parlays heartbreak into 12 spectral songs."
New York Times - Jon Pareles
Billboard's Editors and Writers pick Their Top Ten records:
#5 Jule Brown: Mutant country necromancy recorded solo by North Carolina
savant.
-Chris Morris
"Country blues so sinister it could scare the guy who scared Robert Johnson."
Indy Week - Rick Cornell
"Jule Brown is the real roots deal."
Harp Magazine - Brian Baker

>From NC, Dualtone artist Mark Holland leads the rock group Jule Brown.
His deep, heavy sound and style is reminiscent of early jazz and blues
masters, but also has elements of country, R&B, Gospel, funk, soul
and world music and is updated for today's contemporary, independent
rock and jam scene. From the first note, whether appearing solo or with
his band, the music gets the crowd moving and the hours-long rhythm
takes the audience back and forth through time. He is best known as a
keyboardist and harmonica player; but, is a multi-instrumentalist
skilled on many instruments, especially drums and percussion. After
breaking into the music business in the early '90's as a drummer and
member of Jennyanykind (a rock act on major-label Elektra. You can see
them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHrtSRQbCAA), Mark has
refined his act over 16 years of performing and recording. He generally
appears with a 5-piece band and has supported such acts as Robert
Randolph and the Family Band, Southern Culture on the Skids, Paul
Thorn, Flaming Lips, Afghan Whigs, Howard Jones, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Toby Keith, Shooter Jennings, Trace Adkins, Jimbo Mathus, Luna,
Fastball and many others.
Scandal
immediately followed the now infamous press release for Jule Brown's
first album, The Legendary Magic, released in 1995. Presented as a
backwoods NC savant, and due to the authenticity of his sound, the
press bit hard. Chris Morris from Billboard listed the album in his top
5 upon release. But a price was to be paid: freaking-out, as it were,
about the repercussions (and there have been many), someone at Elektra
(which Jennyanykind was still signed too) tipped Morris off to the
ruse and thus Legendary gained legendary status. What follows is a
story told by Terry Tolkin, the label owner and also Elektra A&R
man::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"...
actually, Wayne and Scott were always on the No.6 "promo" list. They
know who you are. They both brought up the (now infamous) press
release. Wayne had totally fallen for it at the time and when he found
out about the spin, oh , I don't know if I ever told you this story
before, stop me if I did. I was in Minneapolis for a Whigs opening for
the Lips show when I told him about it. Someone at Elektra had already
broken down and voluntarily told Morris that it was "fabricated". They
did that BEFORE anyone knew the truth. As soon as they saw the review
they called him and spilled the beans. Anyway, I had told the Lips and
Whigs backstage before the show. Unbeknownst (is that a word? well it
is one now...) to me, when each band took the stage they introduced
themselves as "Jule Brown". "

THE LATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! logged 11/14/08:
Happy
Thanksgiving to all! Shoutin' out a "gobble, gobble" to Everyone.
Surreal Folk Blues, my newest release through Dulatone, is now
available on iTunes and eMusic. The response has been great! I hope you
will check it out. It has some great tunes and is very economical as a
digital download. You will like it. I promise.
I am currently
working on new record due out in 2009 or maybe 2010. I am working the
songs out now with an electric piano. Rhodes and Wurlitzer. I am
playing these a lot live as well. It sounds like a jazz influenced
version of JENNYANYKIND'S last album, PEAS AND COLLARDS, and is
eclectic and unique. I am fleshing them out and it is a lot of fun.
The
now 6-piece band is playing well, coming over on Sundays to grill,
chill and play music still at times. We have had some great guest
players like Greg Humphreys.
Come see us if you can at our upcoming
local gigs! Our next one is with Fastball at the Cat's Cradle just 10
miles from my home in Pittsboro, Deeeeep Chatham.

Later,

Mark

www.myspace.com/julebrown

www.sonicbids.com/julebrown

Get more done, have more fun, and stay more connected with Windows MobileĀ®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119642556/direct/01/

  • Jule Brown at Cat's Cradle w/ Fastball on Nov 30., Mark Holland, 11/18/2008