ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 7, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 7, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:40:37 -0500

In addition to all the fun stuff listed below, there's also this show/fundraiser happening Saturday evening:

Prison MATCH of NC invites you to “Make a Visit Happen,” a Gala fundraising event.

Saturday November 8th, 5:00-8:00 p.m. at Hope Elementary Charter School, 1116 N. Blount St., Raleigh. Cost is $25 (cash or check only).

MATCH (Mothers And Their CHildren) is a privately funded non-profit organization that facilitates visits between children and their mothers who are incarcerated at the NC Correctional Institution for Women in Raleigh. MATCH organizes and funds travel from all over the state and the country, as well as providing material and emotional support to aid in reuniting families.

The MATCH Gala will feature musical performances by Caitlin Cary, Melissa White Shaheen, William Burton, and Eunice Toussaint at the piano, along with a silent auction and a speech by Renee Morton, a former MATCH mom.

OK, onward & upward. Rather than pasting in the Troika URL 100 times, here it is: http://www.troikamusicfestival.org

Friday, November 7
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These shows at Duke's Armadillo Grill kick off around 5:00 p.m., so you can swing by for some beer, some free chips & salsa, and some local rock (Indie from Nathan Oliver, quirk-folk from Midtown Dickens, and Christian noise from Clang Quartet) and still make it out to whatever else you've got going on.

Friday, November 7
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Trio Slicnaton (http://www.slicnaton.com)
Marsh Woodwinds, Raleigh

Marsh Woodwinds moved a while back, from their old slot on Hillsborough St, to a new location on Person St, with enough extra room that they were able to build a stage & host performances. Like this one: you've got the semi-improv soundscapes of Trio Slicnaton, followed by two sets from Raleigh jazz/rock skronkers Savage Knights. 8:00 p.m., pass the hat.

Friday, November 7
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Girls Rock NC (http://www.girlsrocknc.org/)
Carolina Theatre, Durham

Troika departs from its normal program of 15 simultaneous shows at different local venues, for a big-marquee show at the Carolina Theatre. Hopefully you recognize all those names fairly readily; I believe the Girls Rock NC program will feature one or more of the preteen girl bands formed during this past summer's local rock-n-roll camp for girls.

10:45PM - The Rosebuds
9:30PM - Kimya Dawson
8:30PM - The Old Ceremony
7:30PM - Bellafea
5:45PM - Girls Rock NC Program

Friday, November 7
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Explorers Club (http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, November 7
The Bridges (http://www.thebridgesmusic.net)
Matthew Sweet (http://www.matthewsweet.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 7
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
Razpa (http://www.myspace.com/razpamusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Bright Young Things
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the new Rooster for the Masses.

Friday, November 7
Bio Ritmo (http://www.bioritmo.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Bull McCabe's, Durham

This is meant to be an after-party after the big Troika show at the Carolina Theatre.

12:45AM - Ex-Monkeys
11:55PM - Wigg Report

Saturday, November 8
Spencer Scholes (http://www.spencerscholes.com)
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Clayton Sabine (http://www.myspace.com/claytonsabine)
Alivia's Durham Bistro, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

9:30PM - Spencer Scholes
8:45PM - Tea & Tempests
8:00PM - Clayton Sabin

Saturday, November 8
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:35PM - Tooth
10:45PM - Midtown Dickens
10:00PM - The Curtains of Night
9:15PM - Cantwell, Gomez, and Jordan
8:35PM - The Gates of Beauty
8:00PM - Clawform

Saturday, November 8
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
The Heist and the Accomplice (http://www.myspace.com/theheistandtheaccomplice)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Sea Cow
James Joyce, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:15PM - Velvet
9:30PM - *SONS
8:45PM - The Heist and the Accomplice
8:00PM - Sea Cow

Saturday, November 8
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Marvell Building, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:30PM - A Rooster for the Masses
9:45PM - Dr. Powerful
9:00PM - Veronique Diabolique
8:15PM - The Virgo 9

Saturday, November 8
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Sirens Lounge, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:00PM - Schooner
10:15PM - Nathan Oliver
9:15PM - The Proclivities
8:30PM - Rat Jackson

Saturday, November 8
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
The Travesties
The Pinhook, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:00 - I Was Totally Destroying It
10:15 - The Travesties
9:30 - The Pneurotics
8:45 - Resist Not!

Saturday, November 8
Mark Kozelek (http://www.sunkilmoon.com/)
Kath Bloom (http://www.myspace.com/kathbloomchapter)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, November 8
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Scott Waite Debacle (http://myspace.com/scottwaiteisbenevolent)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

12:15AM - Hammer No More The Fingers
11:30PM - The Dry Heathens
10:45PM - The Scott Waite Debacle
10:00PM - Death to the Details

Saturday, November 8
The Bottle Rockets (http://www.bottlerocketsmusic.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Saturday, November 8
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, November 8
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Ghost Writer (http://www.ghostwriterband.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 9
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

When I asked Jenks Miller to play the show, I told him I'd be thrilled to have any of his projects, from the solo electric guitar of his recent "Approaching the Invisible Mountain," to the loping country-rock of Mount Moriah, to the massive wall-of-noise of The Hem of His Garment.

He chose to bring Horseback, his stretched-out ambient noise/drone project, whose "Impale Golden Horn" was one of my absolute favorite CDs of 2007. So I couldn't be more excited. Tune in at 4:00 at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org. You can read an interview with Jenks here: http://www.wral.com/entertainment/blogpost/3849808/

Sunday, November 9
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Not sure if this is a one-off show or if Flicker, after many many years, is moving to Nightlight from the Cradle. Either way, Flicker is a frequent (8-10x a year) festival of mostly locally-produced shorts shot on film.

Monday, November 10
Shaky Hands (http://www.myspace.com/shakyhands)
Oscar Begat (http://www.reverbnation.com/oscarbegat)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, November 10
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 11
Diplo (http://www.formdiplo.com)
Abe Vigoda (http://www.myspace.com/abevigoda)
Boy 8 Bit (http://www.myspace.com/boy8bit)
Telepathe (http://www.myspace.com/telepathe)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, November 11
Everything Now! (http://www.everythingnowmusic.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Tuesday, November 11
Caithlin deMarrais
El May
Cory Hart
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 11
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Rosewood Thieves
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 12
Calexico (http://www.casadecalexico.com/)
Acorn
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, November 12
The Sword
Year Long Disaster (http://www.yearlongdisaster.com/)
Broadslab (http://www.myspace.com/broadslab)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Wednesday, November 12
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Lafcadio (http://www.myspace.com/lafcadiorocks)
Mary Johnson Rockers (http://www.myspace.com/maryjohnsonrockers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 12
Blood Sugars
Electrical Funeral
The Lisps
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 12
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Finn Riggins (http://www.myspace.com/finnriggins)
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, November 13
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
G Loft, Durham

This is a showcase for Fractured Discs, which is building a super-solid track record of quietly releasing great records by NC bands. All four bands on this bill have released albums on Fractured at some point in the past year (or, in the case of Lud, are fixing to in the next few weeks). The new Lud album, in fact, is easily going to be on my top 10 for the year.

The show was put together by Louis and Jamie from Tin Star, and it's happening at the G Loft, which is attached to George's Garage on 9th Street. Between these guys & the opening of The Pinhook, we're getting damn close to something resembling critical mass in Durham. Bring yr dosimeter.

Thursday, November 13
Brightblack Morning Light (http://www.myspace.com/brightblackmorninglight)
Zomes (http://www.holymountain.com/artists/zomes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 13
100 Yorktown (http://www.geocities.com/onehundredyorktown/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Rongorongo
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 13
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
The Trampskirts (http://www.myspace.com/trampskirts)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, November 13
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Pride Parade
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, November 14
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Bull City Syndicate (www.myspace.com/bullcitysyndicate)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, November 14
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Sammies are from Charlotte & they've just released their second album, a big-sounding commercial-radio-ready amalgam of southern rock & 80s Britpop. Huguenots are a newish band from Chapel Hill who're still worming their way out from under the Beatles. The Magic Babies are a hooky-as-shit rockband who start at Badfinger/Small Faces & work their way home from there.

Friday, November 14
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, November 15
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, November 15
Senryu (http://www.senryutheband.com/)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Pinhook is Durham's newest bar / live-music venue, up in the 100 block of West Main, right next door to the Marvell Event Center. Full bar, nonsmoking inside (swank back patio for the smokers), loungey seating up front, stage out back, and some vintage arcade games to boot.

Lemming Malloy are what happens when the majority of the members of Eyes To Space re-form as a Steampunk band. Which is to say that they still write kinda-catchy, kinda-nerdy pop music, but now they have big muttonchop sideburns and goggles.

Saturday, November 15
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

It's the Coffeehouse, so BYO whatever-you-need. Cheap red wine for the Dirty Little Heaters, beer & bennies for the Loners, and some kinda godawful mixture of crack & drain cleaner for the Spider Bags. This is a record-release show for the DLH's new 7-inch, "Fatty Don't Feel Good."

Saturday, November 15
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Future Islands are a crazy bearded synth-pop band who used to be from Greenville but subsequently relocated to Baltimore. I think Lonnie Walker is still from Greenville; he makes countryish rockish music that sorta zigzags between Dylan and Pavement. He has a good bass player, too.

Saturday, November 15
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Arizona
The Cave, Chapel Hill

A Rooster for the Masses just released a new CD, but I haven't heard it (despite actually making a trip to Chaz's to look for it). I assume it's a big political dance-pop-rocky explosion.

Saturday, November 15
Hell Razor (http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc)
Edward Teach
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 15
Pacific Before Tiger
Darsombra (http://darsombra.com/)
Ala Muerta
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 16
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Dry Heathens are from Durham; they make a kinda boozy/Replacementsy (uh, same thing) rockmusic that actually runs the gamut from loping country-rock to full-bore punkrock bursts. Their state-of-the-nation song "Splendid Little War" is one of my favorite songs of the past couple of years, and goes a long way towards making up for the comparative paucity of good political punkrock 'round here (at least compared to the '80s, anyway).

We'll get underway at 4:00 p.m., and you can tune in at 88.7 FM or online at wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 16
Black Sheep (http://www.myspace.com/blacksheep)
Nice & Smooth (http://www.myspace.com/niceandsmooth)
Orgone (http://www.myspace.com/orgonemusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, November 16
Legendary Shack*Shakers (http://www.cockadoodledont.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Monday, November 17
Shesha (http://www.subscapeannex.com/shesha)
MG3 (http://www.myspace.com/mietekglinkowskijazzensemble)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I lifted this from Shannon Morrow's website:

"Shesha (a hundred-headed naga of coiling electroacoustic double bass. Initially inspired by Ouroboros, Shesha is named for the world serpent in the Vedic tradition. ) w/ MG3 (avant jazz featuring Mietek G on vitar, Christopher Thurston on double bass, Shannon Morrow on percussion, and adding Juditta Musette and her soaring vocalizations for this show)"

Tuesday, November 18
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (http://www.myspace.com/lildinos)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)