ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of October 20, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of October 20, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:54:45 -0400

Monday, October 20
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Pierced Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/piercedarrowspdx)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The greatest garage band in the world, Dead Moon, broke up a couple of years ago, but it only took Fred & Toody Cole a few months to get bored of retirement. Pierced Arrows is their new band, with a new drummer, and a setlist that sounds, on record anyway, like a slightly mellower Dead Moon.

The Dirty Little Heaters no doubt had a collective heartattack when asked to open this show. Or, if they didn't, they damn well should've. Not that they don't deserve it, but still, we're talking about Fred & Toody here.

Tuesday, October 21
All the Saints (http://www.myspace.com/allthesaints)
A Place to Bury Strangers (http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers)
Sian Alice Group (http://www.myspace.com/sianalicegroup)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 22
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Kentucky Nightmare
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Embarrassing Fruits are a str/bass/drums trio who've done their homework in the field of advanced mid-90s indie-rock studies. Soft Company are too busy watching Can videos on YouTube with the sound off to do any homework, but they're so fugging smart they can skate through with a B-minus anyway. Concentration: throw eighteen ideas in a gunny-sack and hang it from a low branch 'til the wriggling stops.

Wednesday, October 22
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Tenderhooks (http://www.myspace.com/tenderhooks)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 22
Shame Club
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, October 23
Alejandro Escovedo (http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/)
The Satin Peaches (http://www.thesatinpeaches.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, October 23
Nervous But Excited (http://www.myspace.com/nervousbutexcited)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Thursday, October 23
Tim Lee 3 (http://ww.myspace.com/timleemusic)
Gravel Truck (http://www.myspace.com/mitcheasterband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Gravel Truck is named for a Let's Active song, and since it's Mitch Easter's band, I suppose he can do whatever he damn well pleases in that department. Worth remarking, I suppose, that there was a time when Mitch Easter playing a show at the Cave under a semi-pseudonymous band name would've attracted a fair bit of attention 'round these parts.

Thursday, October 23
Plants and Animals (http://www.plantsandanimals.ca)
Born Ruffians (http://www.bornruffians.com)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 23
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Danny Burns
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Hearts and Daggers are what we used to call a cowpunk band, meaning a lot like Johnny Cash in his pill-popping fuck-you-up period.

Thursday, October 23
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Crimson Orchid Burlesque
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Future Islands used to be from the Greenville NC area, but they moved to Baltimore to join that Dan Deacon dance-pop freakscene. Here's yr chance to see what they've learned so far. With Asheville dancefreaks Ear Pwr.

Friday, October 24
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Ponchos From Peru (http://www.myspace.com/ponchosfromperu)
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Holy Ghost Tent Revival (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

Ponchos from Peru are from Wilmington, and they're working that same semi-naive K-records/antifolk vibe that locals Beloved Binge & the Wigg Report are masters of. When the guy & the woman sing together, their new CD is dynamite.

Friday, October 24
High on Fire (http://www.highonfire.net/)
Baroness (http://www.yourbaroness.com/)
Opeth (http://www.myspace.com/opeth)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Friday, October 24
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The long-awaited release of Caltrop's debut full-length, World Class, only proved definitively what most of us already knew: there are none heavier, at least not 'round these southeastern United States. Stoner/sludge with a definite restless/searching vibe.

Friday, October 24
Razpa (http://www.myspace.com/razpamusic)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Young local latin-rock outfit. My first impression was that they oughta try playing fewer notes, but they're young yet. Note to band: if people aren't dancing, telling them to between every song rarely helps.

Friday, October 24
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

I'll confess I haven't seen Proof in years, and certainly not since they added Jeramy Lowe on vocals. Starmount is the latest outer-space venture of longtime Raleigh guitarist/recordist Greg Elkins.

Saturday, October 25
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The Grappling Hook just get bigger & more dangerous every time I see them, and I'm not just talking about Dave's recent habit of swinging an actual grappling hook on a chain wildly around his head.

Saturday, October 25
Jonathan Meiburg
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The Duke Coffeehouse has returned from an extended remodeling-induced hiatus. They're starting out low-key, with smaller shows than before they left. Tonight it's Shearwater's Jonathan Meiburg.

Saturday, October 25
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 25
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
His Mischief
Mako Sica
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Horseback is guitarist Jenks Miller's pastoral-drone project; their 2007 album "Impale Golden Horn" is one of my favorite local releases of the past few years.

Saturday, October 25
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The many faces of local pop, from the Spectorish wall-of-sound of Violet Vector to the wacked-out narratives and intense crooning of Schooner.

Saturday, October 25
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Ponchos From Peru (http://www.myspace.com/ponchosfromperu)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Wilmington's Ponchos from Peru continue their trek through the Triangle, appearing tonight with rueful bar-rockers the Pneurotics.

Saturday, October 25
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Pizza Palace, Durham

Sunday, October 26
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Maple Stave just released their third EP of dynamic, largely-instrumental um, math-rock. OK, I said it. All it really means is that drummer Evan Rowe leads the charge, and that songs can morph and flow through endlessly rotating chord changes without any external signal to the layperson as to when/how they'll shift. Count along at home: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 26
Used Kids (http://www.myspace.com/usedkidsny)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Chaz says "Used Kids is a super group consisting of Nato and Danny from the Modern Machines, Mikey from the Ergs and Kate from Cheeky!!! PRE-FEST SHOW!!!"

Sunday, October 26
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Black River
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, October 26
The Scaries (http://www.novia.net/~matt/rock.html)
Amish Jihad (http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Yes, *the* Scaries, the long-running Chapel Hill pop-punk band who broke up 5 or so years ago. They're getting together to play The Fest in Gainesville, and this is a warmup show before they head down there.

Monday, October 27
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Polar Bear Polar Bear
Pour House, Raleigh

Monday, October 27
Pretty Boy Thorson (http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Movers and Shakers (http://www.myspace.com/moversandshakers)
Cortez the Killer (http://www.myspace.com/fightwasted)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 28
Deerhoof (http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/)
Experimental Dental School (http://www.experimentaldental.com/)
Flying (http://www.flyingflyingflying.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 28
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Low Red Land (http://www.myspace.com/lowredland)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 28
Crystal Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/crystalantlers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of October 20, 2008, grady, 10/19/2008