ch-scene - stuff to do, week of October 5, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of October 5, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 10:35:27 -0400

Sunday, October 5
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Magic Babies are from Raleigh; many of you might remember Charles & Galen from their earlier band The Weather. With the Magic Babies, the harmony-heavy Badfingery power-pop tendencies that had bubbled under the surface of The Weather come fully to the fore. Guitar, bass, drums, organ, everybody singing together. It's great gorgeous pop-heavy fun.

4:00 PM at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 5
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
America's Sweetheart (http://www.myspace.com/americassweetheartnyc)
Loki the Grump (http://www.myspace.com/lokithegrump)
G-Spot (http://www.myspace.com/gspotband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a local stop for the Girls Rock & Girls Rule tour, with 2 locals (Pink Flag and Princess & the Criminals) and a buncha (mostly NYC) outta-towners.
http://www.myspace.com/girlsrockgirlsrule

Full lineup, with start times:

11:30 - America's Sweetheart
10:50 - Pink Flag
10:10 - Loki the Grump
9:30 - Princess & the Criminals
8:50 - G-spot
8:10 - RewBee
7:30 - Marisa Mini

Sunday, October 5
Caitlin Cary
Whistlestop (http://www.myspace.com/whistlestop)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is listed as an early show. Caitlin's crackerjack band currently consists of her man Skillet Gilmore (Patty Hurst Shifter), Raleigh veterans Ron and Dave Bartholomew (too many to mention, including Accelerators, Hanks, Bleeding Hearts), and Cartridge Family keyboardist Greg Rice.

Sunday, October 5
Black Keys (http://www.theblackkeys.com/entersite.htm)
Disco Rodeo, Raleigh

Sunday, October 5
Man Will Destroy Himself
Logic Problem
Attitude Problem
The Brewery, Raleigh

Attitude Problem may or may not be from Philadelphia and may or may not feature one or more members of onetime Triangle sludge masters Facedowninshit.

Monday, October 6
Birdmonster (http://www.birdmonster.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Rumble Strips (http://www.therumblestrips.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, October 6
Say Hi To Your Mom (http://www.sayhitoyourmom.com/)
Jukebox the Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/jukeboxtheghost)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 7
Of Montreal (http://www.angelfire.com/ga/ofmontreal/)
Carolina Theatre, Durham

Tuesday, October 7
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
A Collective of Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/acollectiveofdirt)
The Hail Seizures (http://www.hailseizures.net)
Chin Up Meriwether (http://www.myspace.com/chinuppeter)
Southern Skies (http://www.myspace.com/thesouthernskies)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If there weren't five bands on a Tuesday night, it wouldn't be Bull City Headquarters, now would it?

Tuesday, October 7
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Sunburned Hand of the Man (http://www.sunburnedhandoftheman.com/)
Climax Denial (http://www.myspace.com/climaxdenial)
Secret Woods
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

There's actually also a sixth band, Still Born. Because 5 bands on a Tuesday may be how they rock it in Durham, but in Chapel Hill everything's PLUS ONE!

Tuesday, October 7
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
Wovenhand (http://www.myspace.com/wovenhand)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tin Star are a new-ish Durham band made up of Louis & Bart from that great mid-90s Chapel Hill band William Christ Supercarr, and Jamie Miyares, formerly of the Winston-Salem band Tommygun.

Wednesday, October 8
Alternate Routes (http://www.myspace.com/alternateroutes)
Katie Herzig (http://www.myspace.com/katieherzig)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 8
Promute (http://www.promute.com/)
Franz Fjodor (http://www.myspace.com/wouterjaspers)
Staplerfahrer
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 8
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, October 9
The Elephant 6 Holiday Surprise Tour
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The web says: "Featuring Julian Koster, William Cullen Hart, Scott Spillane, Laura Carter, Eric Harris and more performing the music of The Music Tapes, Circulatory System, Scott Spillane, The Gerbils, Elf Power, Olivia Tremor Control, Nesey Gallons and more.

Includes the world premiere of the movie "Major Organ and the Adding Machine."

Thursday, October 9
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Husband and Wife
Rodeo Ruby Love
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 9
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Rongorongo
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, October 9
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Antarctic (http://www.myspace.com/antarcticsounds)
Saint Peter Pocket Veto (http://www.myspace.com/thesaintpeterpocketveto)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, October 10
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Panda Force (http://www.myspace.com/pandaforceband)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These Friday-afternoon shows at the Armadillo Grill are sponsored by a new-ish campus group; they're sorta happy-hour timed (5:30-ish), and in addition to local bands, there's free chips & salsa. All you gotta do is get yourself to Duke West Campus at 5:30 on a Friday.

Friday, October 10
Jonathan Richman (http://www.base.com/jonathan/jonathan.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 10
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Doly Toro (http://dolytoro.net)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 10
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, October 11
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Slow Gun Shogun (http://www.myspace.com/slowgunshogun)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Saturday, October 11
Kaia (http://www.mrlady.com)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
The Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/theantlers)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

First pass through town in a while for Kaia Wilson, who used to live here & fronted the Butchies, before moving back west a few years ago.

Saturday, October 11
Walter Meego (http://www.myspace.com/waltermeego)
Ra Ra Riot (http://www.myspace.com/rarariot)
The Morning Benders (http://www.myspace.com/themorningbenders)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 12
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Goner are from Raleigh, and they've been together in one form or another for nearly as long as I've lived here. They've just released a new album, "Rock and Roll Always Forgets," and it's their best yet: bitter, passionate, detailed songs about getting old in a college town while all the kids stay the same age.

4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 12
The Wedding Present (http://www.scopitones.co.uk/index.html)
The Jealous Girlfriends (http://www.myspace.com/thejealousgirlfriends)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 12
Can Kickers (http://www.myspace.com/cankickers)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Teh Vodak are a new band with Ben Donnelly (ex-Blackstrap) and Betsy-Shane (Lam! Lam!, Pink Flag). Can Kickers are a raggedy doubletime bluegrass/oldtime band (kin to the Avetts, I guess) from up north; one of their members moved to the Triangle earlier this year to work for the Music Maker Relief Foundation, so welcome.

Monday, October 13
Grand Buffet (http://www.grandbuffet.com/)
Girl Talk (http://girl-talk.net/)
Hearts of Darknesses (http://www.myspace.com/heartsofdarknesses)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Superhyped celebrity copyright-violator Gregg Gillis brings his hi-energy Girl Talk show (Gregg, his laptop, and half the audience, onstage dancing) to Cat's Cradle. You've read about him in every mainstream publication around, so it's a miracle he hasn't been sued out of existence yet.

Monday, October 13
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Ironing (http://www.myspace.com/ironing)
Hal McGee (http://www.halmcgee.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 13
Talkdemonic (http://www.myspace.com/talkdemonicmusicmaking)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 14
The Heartless Bastards (http://www.theheartlessbastards.com/)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 14
Pattern is Movement (http://www.patternismovement.com/)
Delta Spirit (http://www.deltaspirit.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The first time I saw South Philly's Pattern Is Movement, I found them incredibly annoying. The second time I saw them, I found them both annoying and really compelling. Then I met their irritating singer/bass player, and learned that he's a genuine weirdo (and elementary-school gym teacher), not just onstage. Now I'm quite fond of them. RIYL strange stories, weird falsetto singing, and prog.

Tuesday, October 14
Jordan (http://www.myspace.com/jordanmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of October 5, 2008, grady, 10/05/2008