ch-scene - Whirligig Music Project Sunday - improvisational music installation

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ShannonM <learnaboutlistening AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Whirligig Music Project Sunday - improvisational music installation
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
Here is the invitation to the opening of an installation and musical
project I've been working on this year. I hope to see you at the
opening performance. The featured musicians are all wonderful
improvisers - I'm very excited to hear how they will respond to the
installation and the wind!
The Whirligig Music Project
and The Listening Garden
http://thewhirligig musicproject. blogspot. com
upcoming performance and opening of the Listening Garden
Sunday Sept 28
4:00-5:00pm
The Listening Garden is a temporary installation in the park open
Sunday Sept 28 through Sunday October 5
Durham Central Park by the bridge
534 Foster St.
Downtown Durham
The opening performance is a musical experiment and invitation to come
experience Durham Central Park from a LISTENING perspective.
Featured musicians will engage with the whirligig installation by
LISTENING in the environment, and responding with sound when the wind
blows their assigned spinners. Lack of wind will not be considered a
failed effort!

Due to the nature of the experiment, visitors are asked to attend
quietly for the duration of the hour.

The project is partially funded by The Durham Arts Council with
funding from the state of North Carolina and the National Endowment
for the Arts, which believes that a great nation deserves great art.
Thanks also to Durham Central Park, Durham Parks and Recreation, The
Scrap Exchange, and Music Explorium for helping make this happen!
bring a blanket, hang out, LISTEN, and enjoy!
at 4:45, attending public will be invited to participate!
Musicians:
Christopher Thurston - double bass
Steve Burnett - electric upright bass
Katherine Gill - violin
John Barrile - cello
Juditta Musette - voice
Jude Casseday - percussion
Nicolette DeGroot - percussion
Erin Bailey - saw
Amy Wilkinson - bass clarinet
Suzanne Romey - flute
Wendy Spitzer -oboe
Jay Cartwright - accordian

Thanks!
Shannon Morrow - Rhythm circle facilitator and Deep Listener.
Creative drumming and more to help you meet your teambuilding,
wellness, leadership, and empowerment goals.
www.shannonmorrow. com - new and better site coming soon!
Scene of the Crime Rovers
Mietek Glinkowski Trio
Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra
The Whirligig Music Project
Gates of Beauty
Felix Obelix

  • Whirligig Music Project Sunday - improvisational music installation, ShannonM, 09/25/2008