ch-scene - [off-topic] Save the D8! ReCYCLEry 8th Anniversary Celebration

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kirk Schmidt <kirklimon AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: WXYC <wxyc AT lists.ibiblio.org>, WXYC <wxyc-alumni AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: kirk schmidt <kirklimon AT nc.rr.com>
  • Subject: [off-topic] Save the D8! ReCYCLEry 8th Anniversary Celebration
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:20:20 -0400

I know many of you are activists in the community, and bike riders
also, so I'd like to share information regarding the upcoming
8th Anniversary Celebration for the ReCYCLEry. WXYC's own Ethan
Clauset has agreed to be one of the djs for the event.

thanks, Kirk Schmidt

http://www.recyclery.info/8years
http://www.new.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.new.facebook.com% 2Fevent.php%3Feid%3D32253217062&h=4774244a5cc86b9085e1efb5e710b57f

The ReCYCLEry is celebrating its first 8th anniversary by hosting a fun-filled family-oriented gathering on October 26th that will include food, music, cruiser-style bike rides and more. Located at the Southern Rail Restaurant near Weaver Street Market, the event will run from 2-6 pm and will welcome hundreds of community members who have volunteered their time and skills, their support, or have benefited from the work of The ReCYCLEry over the past eight years. All are welcome to join! Suggested donation per person: $8.

Who: Community members, bike mechanics, bike-enthusiasts, children and their parents, elected officials, transportation gurus, public health leaders, teachers, and people who will pay the suggested donation just to join us for some free Southern Rail tater tots!

When: SAVE THE D8! Sunday, October 26th 2-6 pm (The ReCYCLEry will not be open to the public on this day)

Where: Southern Rail 201-C East Main Street, Carrboro, North Carolina, 27510

What: Guided bike tours around Chapel Hill and Carrboro for all experience levels, light food, beer, music, information about an upcoming bike collection drive though Performance, Volunteer Appreciation awards, and much more.

Why: The ReCYCLEry is a non-profit organization that provides a creative workspace to connect salvaged bikes with active community members, creates opportunities for skill building and volunteerism, and seeks to increase the use of the bicycle for both transportation and recreation. The group settled it’s current location a couple of years ago, has an advisory board of 6 members, and a volunteer corps of over 400 individuals. This year, we celbrate 8 years of existence and honor the past while generating support for the future.

A suggested donation of $8 (only $1 per year of existence!) will help fund continuing programs such as our fall Mobile Repair Days where we pack a mini-shop onto bike trailers and ride to underserved communities distributing bikes and teaching basic maintenance. All donations are tax-deductible and donations of any amount will be greatly appreciated.

  • [off-topic] Save the D8! ReCYCLEry 8th Anniversary Celebration, Kirk Schmidt, 09/23/2008