ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 20, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 20, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:18:03 -0400

Win Win Winter (http://www.myspace.com/winwinwinter)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, September 24
Peelander-Z (http://www.peelander-z.com/p-z_e/home_e.html)
TsuShiMaMiRe (http://www.myspace.com/tsushimamirejapan)
Bakubeni (http://www.myspace.com/bakubeni)
Quaff (http://www.myspace.com/quaffjapan)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an entire package tour of wildly-dressed dyed-hair Japanese rock-n-rollers.

Thursday, September 25
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Pontiak (http://www.myspace.com/pontiak)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Mount Moriah and Horseback are two different facets of local guitarist Jenks Miller.

Thursday, September 25
Black Kids (http://blackkidsmusic.com)
The Virgins (http://www.thevirgins.net)
The Magic Wands (http://www.myspace.com/themagicwands)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The Black Kids are from Florida, and if you haven't heard their hit, "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You," then you must be *really* sheltered, because *I've* heard it, and I never listen to anything but local music.

Thursday, September 25
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Pistolero (http://www.myspace.com/pistoleroband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Resist Not are a folk/punk band from Durham, who sport a near-perfect balance of sincere protest-song anger and self-deprecation.

Thursday, September 25
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is another installment in Tir Na nOg & WKNC's weekly Local Bands, Local Beers show series.

Thursday, September 25
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Broken West (http://www.thebrokenwest.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 25
Whale Watchers
Bright Young Things
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, September 26 & Saturday, September 27
Come the Freak ON Festival (http://www.screwmusicforever.com/?page_id=17)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Per Nightlight:

A convergence of artists and bands involved in the early ' 90s Tampa Bay/Gainesville, Florida based artists/musicians collective known as SCREWMUSICFOREVER. Since the '90s the participants have mostly transplanted themselves to points north and west of Florida, but still meet once a year for this festival. In years past it has been held in Tampa or NYC - but this year for the first time it will be convened in Chapel Hill at NIGHTLIGHT on Sept.26 and 27.

The festival will be hosted by The Kingsbury Manx/WAUMISS's Clarque and Caroline Blomquist, who grew up in the Tampa Bay Area before moving to Chapel Hill in 1998. Bands slated to perform include HOME (NYC), Errant Strike (Baltimore MA), WYE OAK (Baltimore MA), Flexxehawke (St.Petersburg FL), Masik (Gainesville FL), Impossible Arms (Carrboro, but 2/3 born and raised in St.Pete FL), WAUMISS, The Kingsbury Manx, LEELS (St.Pete/NY), Disbelief Street (Brooklyn), Warmingtons (Pittsburg PA), and more! The music will begin promptly at 9:30 pm each night, so get there early!

Flexxehawke
Wye Oak
Kingsbury Manx
Errant Strike
Masik
Waumiss
Warmingtons
Impossible Arms
Thruster
Leels
Disbelief St.

Friday, September 26
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Paleface
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

This is another in a series of mostly-local shows sponsored by a committee of the Duke Union. Future Kings of Nowhere are the hugely popular acoustic pop-punk band from Durham. Lam! Lam! supposedly went on indefinite hiatus a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe this show is the start of that hiatus? Or maybe now we know the definition of "indefinite hiatus".

Friday, September 26
Ratatat (http://www.ratatatmusic.com/)
Panther (http://www.jyrk.com/panther/)
E*Rock (http://www.e--rock.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, September 26
The Holy Ghost (http://www.deathtrapbaby.com/theholyghost/default.html)
The Juan MacLean (http://www.thejuanmaclean.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 26
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
Austin Collins
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, September 27
Bombadil (http://www.bombadilmusic.com/)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Holy Ghost Tent Revival (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, September 27
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
The Cy Rawlsters
Here Lies
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a benefit for Cy Rawls, who is currently en route to kicking the ass out of his brain tumor. The Cy Rawlsters are a supergroup made up of just a tiny percentage of Cy's friends in various local bands (Rosebuds, Birds of Avalon, Polvo, Magic Babies and more, it says).

Saturday, September 27
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Oscar Begat (http://www.reverbnation.com/oscarbegat)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 27
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Inspector 22
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Transportation CD -- their FIRST, after, what, a dozen or more years? They are crazy motherfuckers -- it's full of their trademark vocal harmonies and their blend of 70s soft-rock melodies and the occasional hardrock bombast, but there are also a couple of songs about robots. Is it a concept album, or just a distillation of a dozen years of ideas? Either way, long time coming.

Saturday, September 27
The Invisible Hand
Order of the Dying Orchid (http://www.geocities.com/orderofthedyingorchid/)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, September 28
Carrboro Music Festival (http://carrboromusicfestival.com/)
nearly everywhere, Carrboro

The Carrboro Music Festival has been happening yearly for the past 11 years (including the first few years under the Fete de la Musique moniker). As usual, there are way too many bands and venues for me to go into detail, but you can get all the info you need at the website. http://carrboromusicfestival.com/2008Schedule.html

If I were making the trek, though, I'd be scanning the schedule for some or all of the following: John Howie Jr, Brett Harris, Killer Filler, Roxcetera, Jeff Hart, Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies, Midtown Dickens, Evil Weiner, des_ark, Aminal Music, Dexter Romweber, The Breaks, Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers.

Monday, September 29
Stereolab (http://www.stereolab.co.uk/)
Atlas Sound (http://deerhuntertheband.blogspot.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro