ch-scene - Mystery Road Needs A Drummer ASAP!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: mysteryroadband AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Mystery Road Needs A Drummer ASAP!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:52:46 -0700 (PDT)

So what are you looking for?

Mystery Road needs a drummer who understands the dynamics of Americana/
Folky/Roots Rock type of music. Someone who can play soft with brushes
when needed and someone who can let it all out when needed as well!

What do you guys sound like?

Mystery Road songs can be seen/heard at http://www.youtube.com/mysteryroadb=
and.
We're also on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/mysteryroadband

What instruments make up Mystery Road?

The instrumentation in the band is guitar/vocals (Don), electric bass
(Ira) and cello (Elana). We may add more but so far, this is it.

Who writes the music?

Our singer/guitarist (Don) has written all of our original material so
far since he is a very productive song writer, but we are very open to
considering and/or collaborating on any creative piece of work brought
to the group by any group member. We are also open to playing the
occasional cover.

Are you all down with open jam sessions with group collaboration?

While we are open to this sort of creativity, we feel that our weekly
practices are best spent rehearsing set list material and arranging/
practicing completed songs. And then if any band members want to get
together to jam/write/collaborate outside of weekly practice, then
they are free to do so.

Are ya'll nice?

Mystery Road is a band that really loves working with each other. We
are a fun group of people who just love being around each other and
making the music that we love. There are no egos in the band and we
are a very welcoming and accepting group of people.

When do you get together for rehearsal?

We rehearse on Wednesday nights from about 7:30 =96 10pm. The night of
the week may be flexible so don't let this be a deal breaker. We
rehearse at the singer/guitarist's house in Durham so space is not an
issue.

Who are your influences?

We are a band that is inspired by musical acts such as Neil Young,
Drivin' N Cryin', Wilco, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Neil Young,
Whiskeytown, The Avett Brothers, Gillian Welch=85 get our drift?

Can you give me a ride to rehearsal?

Drummer must have his/her own form of reliable transportation. Sorry
but we will not pick you up and taxi you around. We have busy lives
and we're not looking for anything to complicate it.

Do you have a drum kit I can use?

Drummer must have his/her own drum kit. Please don't have a kit that
takes 2 days to set up. This music is pretty simple so you really
don't need to have much but then again, if you're gonna use it, who
are we to say what you need?

Have you guys played any gigs?

So far, we've played The Cave, Mansion 462 and The Open Eye Caf=E9 with
bands such as Birds & Arrows, Weatherkings, HWYL, and The Pneurotics.
We actually have two gigs booked in late September at Mansion 462 and
Carrboro Music Festival.

So how much money is in this for me?

Drummer must have a great nature to them and understand that we are
not doing this for a living. Please have a day job (or independently
wealthy is nice as well). If you're willing to do this for the
occasional pay, tips or in some cases NOTHING, then this is the gig
for you!

So I don't really dig this kind of music but I can still play drums.
Interested?

Please have an understanding of Americana, roots rock type of music.
If you listen to nothing but metal and alternative and don't really
like or listen to this music, you probably won't understand the
dynamics or even enjoy playing this kind of music much. If you listen
to any of the listed bands plus others on a regular basis, then you'll
get it! This music isn't brain surgery or hard to play but just
because you can play drums doesn't mean you can play this music the
way it should be play. Please be able to play with brushes and really
know the beauty and importance of playing with a soft touch when a
song calls for it. We do have some up beat rockin' songs but some do
call for that gentle touch.

I don't really like getting to gigs early, staying late and all that
other junk. It's too much work don't you agree?

Drummer must also be willing to put a little bit of work into the
gigging process. Its work but it can be FUN work! What we mean by this
is just to understand that while gigs are fun, there is a little work
that goes into it such as e-mailing friends, maybe hanging a flyer or
two and getting to shows early and sometimes staying late. We gig on
average once a month so it's not like we're playing 2-3 nights a week.
Again, we do this for fun but there is a little bit of work involved
so please be willing to work as a team. We also have friends in other
local bands that we like to go out and support whenever we can. It's
not a required thing but it can be really fun. Get out and support the
bands that are your friends and they do the same for you. It's how you
build a scene and strong friendships with others as well. We have just
as much fun playing to 5 people as we do playing to 50 or more people
so a comparable attitude is wanted!

If you've made it this far, you obviously are interested, or just
really bored. Drop us a line won't ya!