ch-scene - Okay, musicians: what does the phrase "black to comm" mean?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: dj golf <mcass AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Okay, musicians: what does the phrase "black to comm" mean?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought it had some
significance vis-a-vis hooking up a soundboard or PA, as in the black
cable goes to the comm input ("ground to common" or something to that
effect.) There are two bands, a magazine and an MC5 song named after
this term, so it must be something pretty cool.

As a reward for your knowledge you may watch this awesome clip of the
(very early) MC5 performing "Black To Comm" on an unknown (to me,
anyway) TV show in 1965. This is the full-on ten-and-a-half-minute
free-rock freak-out version too. Check the expressions on the host's
face that pop in here & there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwV5Sqlhlgc