ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 2, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 2, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:50:37 -0400

Saturday, August 2
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is an all-day show/fest/benefit put together by Kym Register (Midtown Dickens) and Rebekah Meek (Eberhardt), to raise transgender awareness, here & in India. The full lineup:

11:30am-1:00: Chef Shirle's Traveling Vegan Brunch ($8)
12:30-1:30: Arty Lovelight and his Pickled Piano
1:30-2:00: Silent Auction/Door Prizes Begin!
3:00-3:40: Timothy Thomas Cleary
4:00-4:40: Shawn Luby
5:00-5:40: Allelai (Will Hackney)
5:40-6:00: DJ Mel York
6:00-6:40: Des Ark
7:00-7:40: Shayne O'Neil (of Future Kings of Nowhere)
8:00-8:40: Beloved Binge
9:00-9:40: Embarrassing Fruits
9:40-10:00: DJ Mel York
10:00-10:40: Mount Moriah
11:00-12:00: Megafaun
12:30: John Darnielle (Mtn. Goats)
Late Night: DJ Mel York

Saturday, August 2
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 3
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Shakermaker make British-invasiony pop but with ample doses of pedal steel, courtesy of member Jesse Moorefield's dad Thomas. "Frenchie," the first song on their self-titled 2nd CD, is about as perfect as a song can get; don't tune in late & miss it. 4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, August 3
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Ariel Pink (http://www.arielpink.com/)
Unicornicopia (http://www.myspace.com/unicornicopia)
Ami Dang (http://www.myspace.com/amritakd)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 3
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
David Lee and His Mercenaries
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, August 4
DJ Nasty Boots
Extreme Animals (http://www.paperrad.org/extreme/)
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Fortress of Amplitude (http://www.paperrad.org/fortress)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 5
The Begin-Agains (http://www.myspace.com/thebeginagains)
Jonesin' (http://www.myspace.com/jonesinpunx)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Tuesday, August 5
Leslie (http://www.myspace.com/leslierock)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Wednesday, August 6
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Circadian Rising (http://myspace.com/circadianrising)
Pelvic Fury (http://myspace.com/pelvicfury)
Marvell Building, Durham

Pelvic Fury & Circadian Rising are both Philly metal bands -- somehow Tooth have gotten hooked in to the Philly metal scene, so now it's like there's a pipeline direct from there to here. Oh yeah, I guess that's called I-95.

Wednesday, August 6
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
International Grapevine (http://www.myspace.com/theinternationalgrapevine)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 6
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Nationale (http://www.myspace.com/nationale706)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, August 7
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Festival (http://www.myspace.com/linzyandlexi)
Sharon Van Etten (http://www.myspace.com/sharonvanetten)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Judging from the Bowerbirds show I attended earlier this summer, they're definitely not on the Ticonderoga-style "new CD every couple of months" schedule. There were a couple of new songs, but plenty of old (first EP & before) faves as well. Still every bit as fresh as they were the first time I heard them, though.

Thursday, August 7
Jeff Crawford
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Jeff plays bass in Roman Candle, and released a solo album of country-folk-rock last year.

Thursday, August 7
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Trouble Walkers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

In case I haven't said it lately: Cartridge Family are the best little piano-driven Stones/Dolls/Dylan early-70s-style rock-n-roll band in Raleigh.

Friday, August 8
Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion (http://www.sarahleeandjohnny.com)
Jeff Crawford
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, August 8
Pylon (http://www.myspace.com/wearepylon)
Gravel Truck (http://www.myspace.com/mitcheasterband)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Gravel Truck is billed as "Mitch Easter playing songs of his beloved '80s band Let's Active with a special line-up of musicians." Which, by the end of it, was basically the description of Let's Active itself, so there you go.

Adding to your South '80s deja vu: Pylon, who drew raves when they played the Local 506 on their last reunion tour thingy.

This is all peripherally connected to a Winston-Salem film festival called Revolve. http://www.revolvefestival.com/

Friday, August 8
The Travesties
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
Weatherkings (http://www.myspace.com/weatherkingsband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Where to begin? The Travesties feature Viva, Dave & Tim from [the original] Jett Rink, plus Chuck Garrison on drums and Doug White on keys. They're a little more laid-back than Jett Rink were, and Veev does a bit more singing & a bit less frantic yelling & leaping around.

Weatherkings is the latest outfit to feature ex-Fake Swedish guitarist Eric Haugen.

And Lemming Malloy? Well, several of them are veterans of the now-defunct sci-fi nerd-rock band Eyes To Space, and the songs on their MySpace sounded kinda similar to their old band. Main difference, near as I can tell, is that they've traded in their matching jumpsuits for, ahem, "stea****k" kit. RIYL superfluous goggles.

Friday, August 8
Whale Watchers
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, August 9
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Gemini Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/geminiwolf)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Saturday, August 9
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band (http://www.conoroberst.com/)
Evangelicals (http://www.myspace.com/evangelicals)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, August 10
Like Hell I Will
Tubers (http://www.myspace.com/tubers)
Alligator (http://www.myspace.com/alligatorsucks)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, August 10
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Sixgun Lullaby (http://www.myspace.com/roboticconcubine)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 10
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Flat Tires
Trouble Walkers
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 10
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Suburban Sweethearts
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Raleigh has no shortage of kickass rockbands, but I'd hate to bet on any of 'em up against the Dirty Little Heaters in a fight, fair or otherwise.

Monday, August 11
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Invisible (http://www.myspace.com/invisiblesounds)
Dark Tide
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All. Midtown Dickens you know about, but if you haven't seen 'em in a while, they've probably picked up & [halfway-]learned a half-dozen new instruments. Invisible are from Winston-Salem and, speaking of new instruments, they sport a piano interfaced with a typewriter, and vice-versa (type a poem, get random music; play some music, get random typing, I guess).

Monday, August 11
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Richard Lloyd (http://www.richardlloyd.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Monday, August 11
Idea of Beauty (http://ideaofbeauty.com)
Constrictor (http://www.myspace.com/constrictorva)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, August 12
The Hold Steady (http://www.theholdsteady.com/)
The Loved Ones (http://www.thelovedonesband.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, August 12
Cass McCombs (http://www.monitorrecords.com/CASS/cass.html)
Viking Moses (http://www.myspace.com/vikingmoses)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 13
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
Zebu (http://ubez.net)
Marvell Building, Durham

Teh Vodak would appear to be yet another Durham band featuring Betsy Shane (Lam! Lam!, Pink Flag). Is this the one with Ben Donnelly (ex-Blackstrap)? I think 'tis.

Wednesday, August 13
+/- (http://myspace.com/plusslashminus)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Last Year's Model
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 14
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Titus Andronicus (http://www.myspace.com/titusandronicus)
Vivian Girls (http://www.myspace.com/viviangirlsnyc)
Crystal Stilts (http://www.myspace.com/crystalstilts)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

As is the habit over at BCHQ, this is way too much show for a Thursday night. Any night, really: Either Megafaun (breathtaking experimental folk with noise overtones, or vice versa) or Spider Bags (Exile on Cheap Liquor Street) could pack the place alone, and when you add in New Jersey's Titus Andronicus, who've blown through once or twice before & left a wide swath of destruction (& vocal new fans) in their wake, it all becomes too much. And I don't even know anything about the *other* two bands on the bill.

Thursday, August 14
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is this week's installment in the Local Bands, Local Beers series at Tir Na nOg.

Thursday, August 14
Lucero (http://www.lucerofamily.net/)
The Glossary (http://www.myspace.com/glossary)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 14
John Howie
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Nathan Golub
Pour House, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of August 2, 2008, grady, 08/02/2008