ch-scene - Future Islands and Dan Deacon 7' inch split, Girls Rock NC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mel <melissa.thomas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Future Islands and Dan Deacon 7' inch split, Girls Rock NC
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

A few items of note:

The split is here and will be at local stores within the next few days
you can find it on our website as well (www.307knoxrecords.com). The
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands) "Follow
You" (Pangea Version) fills up one whole side while Dan took a
different approach and placed 5 songs on his side. The Future Islands
are out on the road until November with Ear Pwr and then Adventure
supporting their full length just released by Upset the Rhythm. We
will be hosting a party for them in September when they return to the
triangle.

Some notes from Dan regarding his side of the split:

the collection of songs on this range from 2002 to 2008. i just want
to put together a collection of songs that were light hearted and fun,
to contrast the more intense pieces i've been working on for my full
length. here are some notes on each track:

Mark Brown: this piece was written on the road while on tour with
ultimate reality. its a simple dance piece for synth drums and midi
clarinet being modulated through a harsh LFO at various speeds. i
hadn't written a pizza party type dance song in a while and it felt
nice to squeeze this little guy out. it was originally released on the
complication inside the wham city box # 1 (limited to 50 copies)

Crank It: this manipulated beatles song was part of a larger sound
collage as a score to a dance piece. it was written some time 2003. in
the original context you can barely hear it since its a very dense
piece but i've always liked it on its own. these notes suck, i'm
sorry. on we go!

Shoe Faces: this too is a part of a larger piece. although, different
from crank it, this piece is the score, rather then part of the actual
sound content of the piece it is from. 'Shoe Faces' is a movement for
the piece 'George Washinghands.' in that piece for 5 vocalist, the
performers are listening to recording and trying to replicate the
sounds they hear exactly as the hear them. anyway, this little part
has always made me smile and i thought this would be the perfect way
showcase it.

Elf Wire: this piece is from 2002, i think. i had just got into
working with electronic and computer music. i named it for this
release after the baltimore email list.

Silver Bells: a classic song of timeless beauty. this arrangement was
done in december of 2007 in ireland while on tour. it was originally
released as a track on baltimas 3 which is a wham city christmas comp
that comes out in small numbers each christmas.

ok, well i hope those notes weren't too boring. i wonder if anyone
will read them all the way through. if so, thanks for your patience! i
hope you enjoy my side of the 7". i had a lot of fun putting it
together.

sincerely, dan deacon. baltimore maryland 7/1/2008

Girls Rock NC Compilation 2008

We were honored to do this compilation last year and even more so this
year. It is a pretty easy project to put together with all the great
music happening around us. I usually have to stop asking around the
15th track or we get into two-disc trouble (307 Knox Diskette).

Here is the line up:
Track List

01. Saw Edged Grass - Alina Simone
02. Quaker Bridge Mall - Sawteeth McTweedy
03. Roman Candle - Pink Flag
04. Nickels Peace Light - Sequoya
05. VCR - Betty and The Boys
06. Crush - All Your Science
07. Abend - LAM!LAM!
08. Red Dime - The Pneurotics
09. Freight Train - Elizabeth Cotton*
10. Sun is Out - Wigg Report
11. Don't Know - Lactose Quevero
12. This Is For You - Velvet

Thanks so much to everyone who works to put Rock Camp together and to
all the artists.

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan

WXYC's Top 100 Records for the week of Sunday 7/13/08 - Saturday
7/19/08:
14 (11) Cantwell, Gomez, and Jordan - Hot Licks and Rhetoric (307
KNOX)

We heart CGJ and so does college radio.

Thanks. 307 Knox Records
http://www.307knoxrecords.com
http://www.myspace.com/307knoxrex

  • Future Islands and Dan Deacon 7' inch split, Girls Rock NC, Mel, 07/24/2008