ch-scene - Re: Squirrel Nut Zippers Surprise Performance

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Squirrel Nut Zippers Surprise Performance
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:07:07 -0400

I think it's terrific that folks saw some great music last night. And I have no doubt it was terrific.

But can we declare a moratorium on the obligatory "just like the old days" crack that accompanies every mention of this raised-from-the- dead simulacrum of the old SNZ? Why does it have to always be like the old days. (It would help if they performed mostly new songs, I understand that, but it's a separate issue.) It's not "just like the old days," it will never be like the old days, and that's just fine.

But pretending it IS just like the old days is just tiring. And believe it or not, some of us liked the old version of the band far, far better -- not because of what's been added, but because of what was taken away. What was taken away was not replaceable.

SNZZZZZ,

www.rattlejar.com