ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of July 6, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of July 6, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:38:30 -0400

Sunday, July 6
The Allen Boys (http://www.myspace.com/theallenboys)
Sarah P. Duke Gardens, Durham

The Duke Performances Music in the Garden series moves into its gospel phase with this performance by Mount Airy's Allen Boys, an African-American Sacred Steel band. Instrumental gospel where the pedal-steel is the lead instrument. Amazing.

7:00 p.m. behind the welcome center at Sarah P. Duke Gardens. BYOB/food. Due to some Duke Performances weirdness, it's pretty much guaranteed to rain during the show, so be prepared. There's a big tent with enough room for everybody, so just don't be tempted to sit out on the grass & you'll be fine.

Sunday, July 6
Torche (http://www.myspace.com/Torche)
Boris (http://homepage1.nifty.com/boris)
Clouds (http://www.myspace.com/cloudsrock)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, July 6
Barghest (http://www.myspace.com/jesseainslie)
Fleet Foxes (http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes)
The Dutchess and the Duke (http://www.myspace.com/thedutchessandtheduke)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, July 6
Luxury Pushers
Filthy Rotten Sex Machine
The Cheats
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, July 7
Seeing Through the Fence (http://www.porchlifeproductions.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Rob Beloved and Eleni Binge are getting ready to embark upon a yearlong tour around the country, playing shows and screening Eleni's documentary about veganism, "Seeing Through the Fence." This is your last chance to see the movie before they take off. 7:00 p.m., free, plus there'll be food by Chef Shirle' (ex-Ex-Members).

Tuesday, July 8
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is the first night of the Club is Open Festival (http://www.myspace.com/theclubisopenfestival08), which takes place at various venues around Chapel Hill (no overlapping!) for most of this week.

Tuesday, July 8
Pykrete (http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete)
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
High Castle
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Chuck Johnson (Pykrete) is back, for now, from Mills College in Oakland. No telling what mysterious new noisemaking equipment he may have fabricated while he was away.

Wednesday, July 9
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

This is the second night of the Club Is Open festival. The Fuse show is early-ish, and should end early enough for you to make it over to the Reservoir show.

Wednesday, July 9
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Imaad Wasif with Two Part Beast (http://www.myspace.com/imaadw)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, July 9
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is night two of the Club Is Open festival. Western Civ. moved here last year from somewhere, Alabama, I think.

Wednesday, July 9
Impossible Shapes (http://lunamusic.net/impossible/)
Felt Battery
A is Jump (http://www.myspace.com/aisjump2)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 10
Malt Swagger
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
CCB Plaza (aka The Bull's Balls), Durham

I tried to go to last week's Thursday-night rockshow at CCB Plaza, but I got stuck at work and so at 7:30 I was booking it up Main Street when I realized, as I approached Bull McCabe's, that all the members of the bands were sitting outside having a post-show beer.

So try to be there by 5:00 or 5:30 or you're liable to miss the whole thing.

I ran into Malt Swagger's Dave Jernigan yesterday, and he told me that their new-ish members (including drummer Billy Alphin (Schooner, ex-Ashley Stove)) had provided the inspiration/energy for this spate of shows they've been playing out lately. No word yet on whether that might bleed over into the release of that long-awaited double album they've been promising for, um, 10 years or so now.

Thursday, July 10
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Club Is Open festival shifts to the Cave for a night, bringing two Durham bands -- the K Records-style duo Beloved Binge, and the hyperdynamic trio Maple Stave -- along with Chapel Hill band Rat Jackson, which I believe includes the guy who organized the whole festival, so be sure to say thanks if you see him.

Thursday, July 10
Paper Route (http://www.myspace.com/paperroute)
Brooke Waggoner (http://www.myspace.com/brookewaggoner)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 10
The Men Who Control the Weather (http://www.myspace.com/theweathermachine)
Captain of Industry
Chiaroscuro
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 11
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, July 11
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Club Is Open festival rotates around to Local 506 tonight. Kerbloki are what you get when you graft a long-running Beasties-esque partyrap duo onto the rhythm section from local metal powerhouse Caltrop. Hammer No More the Fingers are a taut indie-rock trio who have as much chance as anybody of breaking through to whatever comprises the Next Level nowadays.

Friday, July 11
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 11
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Sea Cow
Captain of Industry
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, July 11
Grass Widow (http://www.myspace.com/grasswidow)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Cross Eyes
The Barberries (http://www.myspace.com/thebarberries)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, July 12
Les Savy Fav (http://www.lessavyfav.com)
Nasher Museum of Art, Durham

This is another in the summer Music in the Garden series sponsored by Duke Performances. It has been 4 years since Les Savy Fav graced the Triangle (since they had to cancel last year's Troika appearance). I ran into drummer Harrison Haynes at Branch Gallery, and he was concerned that none of their fans would either hear about the show, or be able to find it, but I think he underestimates Derm LSF fans.

But for the record: the show will be outdoors on the lawn behind the Nasher.

Saturday, July 12
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/)
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The weeklong Club Is Open festival finally makes it home to Cat's Cradle (the festival is an offshoot of the Cradle's monthly free local-music series). You've got the summery pop of Roman Candle, the over-the-top anthemic bar-rock of Red Collar, the acoustipunk of Future Kings of Nowhere, and the greatest living band in Orange County, Lud. (yes, that means I've never seen American Aquarium & thus can't pigeonhole 'em)

Saturday, July 12
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Misty Lynn & the Big Beautiful
Matt Jones
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 12
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Yardwork (http://www.myspace.com/wetdigitalredstorm)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This show will be timed to start after the Les Savy Fav show has ended (and the audience has hightailed it back across town), so no need to worry. des_ark are still one of the best bands I've ever seen, and if you've seen 'em you've likely said the same.

Saturday, July 12
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Pillow Fighter (http://www.myspace.com/joeseely)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 12
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Barberries (http://www.myspace.com/thebarberries)
Echoes From the Vaults (http://www.myspace.com/echoesfromthevaults)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, July 13
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Schooner put out an excellent album, "Hold On Too Tight," last year. They seem to go on & off hiatus on a fairly regular basis, but they're firing on all cylinders now (or so they tell me). Find out for sure: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 13
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Salvo Hunter (http://www.myspace.com/salvohunter)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The final night of the Club Is Open festival brings you the sophisticated indie-rock of Ben Davis & the Jetts, the high-tech indie/emo-pop of I Was Totally Destroying It, the warbly post-British Invasion indierock of Shakermaker, and a couple of bands I've never heard of.

Sunday, July 13
The Ergs (http://dorkrockcorkrod.com)
Hunchback
The Drowsies (http://www.drowsies.com/)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, July 13
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Big Easy
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 15
The Graves of Fairmount (http://www.myspace.com/thegravesoffairmount)
The Boy Bathing
Andrew Octopus (http://www.myspace.com/andrewoctopus)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Graves of Fairmount are a indie-rock band (major audible influences, near as I can tell from their EP, anyway: Portastatic, Replacements, Elliott Smith, Belle & Sebastian) that consist primarily of a single guy, Paul O'Keefe, who moved here from Berkeley after a youth misspent listening to Chapel Hill bandes like Superchunk.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of July 6, 2008, grady, 07/05/2008