ch-scene - [Internationalist] has a new manager, new events, and new titles in stock!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] has a new manager, new events, and new titles in stock!
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 16:26:56 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:
1) hello from the new co-manager!
2) upcoming events at the store!
3) new titles in stock!

1) HELLO!

Greetings Internationalist friends and supporters,

My name is Nick Shepard, and I'm just getting started as the new
co-manager of the store, as Daniel heads off for travel and graduate
school. After volunteering here for five years, it's an exciting
opportunity to take that experience to the next level while the store
continues to grow and develop. During the next months, I'm hoping to
expand the store's inventory, maintain a consistent schedule of
interesting and relevant events, increase volunteer involvement, and
help ensure that Internationalist realizes to the fullest extent of
its potential. But in order to do that, we need your support!

All of you can help keep the Internationalist a vibrant voice for
justice in the Chapel Hill community. By making sure that your
membership is current, you can help us continue to improve our
finances while receiving a 10% discount, access to our radical lending
library, invitations to special events, and a free Internationalist
tote bag. Also, we can always use donations of new and used books,
office supplies (tape/envelopes/stamps/etc), and time and energy.
Help spread the word about the Internationalist amongst your friends,
family, and community, and we'll continue to provide an inspiring
space to engage with progressive and radical ideas. I look forward to
seeing you!

yours in struggle,
Nick Shepard

2) UPCOMING EVENTS!

WED 5/28, 6 PM: HPV ZINE DISCUSSION GROUP
Join us for a discussion about sexual and reproductive health and the
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), centered around the HPV 'zine recently
released by the Washington, DC-area Down There Health Collective.
This 50+ page pamphlet examines current medical information and
research on HPV and the politics surrounding them, using a radical
empowerment approach oriented towards reclaiming our health and our
bodies. FREE copies of the zine are available for interested
participants from behind the counter at the Internationalist.

SUN 6/1, 6 PM: RADICAL MENTAL HEALTH COLLECTIVE
Join us for the weekly meeting of the Radical Mental Health
Collective, Sundays at 6pm. This group provides discussion and support
for people around mental health issues, based on a model developed by
the Icarus Project (theicarusproject.net). For more information,
please email rileysparkles AT gmail.com.

WED 6/4, 7 PM: EMERSON READING GROUP
Join us for our monthly Ralph Waldo Emerson reading group, the first
Wednesday of every month at 7pm. For more information, please email
Adrian at damion4895 AT yahoo.com.

3) NEW TITLES IN STOCK!

Here are just a few of the new titles that have arrived recently to
the Internationalist:

* "A People's History of the World" by Chris Harman

* "As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial"
by Derrick Jensen and Stephanie McMillan

* "Bomb the Suburbs" (new edition!) by Billy Upski Wimsatt

* "In Praise of Barbarians: Essays against Empire" by Mike Davis

* "The Cornel West Reader"

* "Pirates of the Caribbean: Axis of Hope" by Tariq Ali

* "The Essential Chomsky"

* "Post-Porn Modernist: My 25 Years as a Multi-Media Whore" by Annie Sprinkle

* "Defying Corporations, Defining Democracy: A Book of History and
Strategy" edited by Dean Ritz

...and many more. Stop in and check us out!

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: