ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 28, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 28, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:07:12 -0400

Anytime I say "I'm told," or "were described to me," I'm referencing conversations with the tiny pixie that rides everywhere on my right shoulder.

See if you can spot the exciting reunion-show news buried somewhere in this email!

Friday, March 28
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, March 28
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Dodos (http://www.myspace.com/mericlong)
Silje Nes (http://www.myspace.com/siljenes)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The more excellent press Megafaun get, the more amazed and gratified I am to see that they're still able & willing to play little hometown holes-in-the-wall like Bull City HQ.

Friday, March 28
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Manics (http://www.myspace.com/themanicsrock)
Dylan Gilbert
Brett Harris
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, March 28
Diplomat
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, March 28
Tiger Bear Wolf (http://www.tigerbearwolf.com)
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's Nightlight's 5th anniversary (really?! amazing!), and the party they're throwing is heavy on the heavy, with the twin olympian dead-lift barbells of Caltrop and Tiger Bear Wolf.

Friday, March 28
Delta Spirit (http://www.deltaspirit.net)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Port O'Brien (http://www.myspace.com/portobrien)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Soft Company feature a cast of 100s, all veterans of other local bands (Audubon Park, Piedmont Charisma, Razzle, Erie Choir), all united to present the chaotic pop stylings of Erin Ridings in as semi-coherent as form as possible. They remind me a bit of early Roxy Music in their simultaneous devotion to rock, suaveness, and utter chaos.

Friday, March 28
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Pour House, Raleigh

Three faces of modern pop, two from Raleigh & one, Citified, from over Triad way.

Friday, March 28
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 29
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, March 29
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Hate Prose (http://www.myspace.com/hateprose)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 29
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the brand-new Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies EP, which is pretty darn girl-group/wall-of-soundy.

Saturday, March 29
Ahleuchatistas (http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
High Rollers
Super Bowl Sunday
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Ahleuchatistas are sorta like Asheville's answer to Cantwell, Gomez & Jordan, only with a lot less singing, and more rubberbandy spazzmo freakout.

Le Weekend are sorta like Steely Dan, only with a lot less cocaine.

Saturday, March 29
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
Matt Nakoa Pryor (http://www.myspace.com/mattnakoa)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 29
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Sugar
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, March 30
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Paleface
Angelo Spencer (http://www.myspace.com/angelospencer)
Central Park, Durham

This is a free show, it starts at 3:00 p.m., and I believe Chef Shirle' will be catering the vegan goodies as well. Here's the complete lineup:

Kimya Dawson
Angelo Spencer
Malcolm Rollick
Paleface
Eberhardt
Midtown Dickens
The Future Kings of Nowhere

Sunday, March 30
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies have a new EP, "EP I," and it features five tracks of semi-pure '60s girl-group pop-psych. Lots of glockenspiel, which they've vowed to bring out in full force for the show today. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Tuesday, April 1
Caribou (http://www.caribou.fm)
Fuck Buttons (http://www.fuckbuttons.co.uk/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, April 1
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Chow Nasty
Aunt Dracula
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 1
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Mount Weather
Health (http://www.myspace.com/healthmusic)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Health (the semi-well-known one from California, not the criminally underappreciated one from Greensboro) were described to me as Krautrockish.

Savage Knights are a jazz/spazz/rock band from Raleigh with Crowmeat Bob switching off between guitar & sax. They're straight-up awesome.

Wednesday, April 2
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Finn Riggins (http://www.myspace.com/finnriggins)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 2
Handsome Furs (http://www.myspace.com/handsomefurs)
Violens (http://www.myspace.com/violensmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 2
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Antarctic (http://www.myspace.com/antarcticsounds)
Our Name is Legion (http://www.myspace.com/ournameisduval)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 3
Elf Power (http://www.elfpower.com/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Red Collar have local audiences drooling & shouting over their ultra-high-energy rock exhortation . . . which kind of leads me to wonder what comes next for them. The Warped Tour? Their own reality TV show? What does a base-clearing home-run even look like anymore, for a scruffy bar-rock band from Durham?

Thursday, April 3
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Illbotz (http://www.myspace.com/illbotz)
Doug Cheatwood & the Bastards of Fate
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Thursday, April 3
The Dirtbombs (http://www.thedirtbombs.net/)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Kelley Stoltz (http://www.myspace.com/kelleystoltz)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I saw the Dirtbombs a couple of years ago, and though I know it's sacrilege to admit, I didn't think the double-drummers thing worked. Felt like it actually reduced the total power coming off the stage.

Dirty Little Heaters only have one of everything, including Reese McHenry's powerful voice, but with eyes closed it sounds like so much more.

Thursday, April 3
Anton Sword
The Burned Out Stars (http://www.myspace.com/theburnedoutstars)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 4
Vetiver (http://www.vetiverse.com)
Gary Louris (http://www.myspace.com/garylouris)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I'm told everybody in the room cried like a baby last time Vetiver came through town, so maybe it's not even necessary to point out their local connection -- at least half of 'em are from Greensboro, including frontman Andy Cabic (ex-Raymond Brake) and guitarist Sanders Trippe (ex-Rebar).

Gary Louris was in the Jayhawks.

Friday, April 4
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Airspace (http://www.myspace.com/airspacemusic)
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Polynya merge the longtime Smiths/Cure obsessions of some of their members with a lighter, breezier synth-pop sound -- think little dashes of Stereolab or even Pizzicato Five.

Friday, April 4
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Shapiro (http://www.shapiropeople.com)
The Chuttesville Speak
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

I'm told the Chuttesville Speak[s] involves members of Sweater Weather.

Friday, April 4
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Howlin' Rain (http://www.birdmanrecords.com/howlinrain/index.html)
Nightstick (http://www.myspace.com/nightstickband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 4
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dexter's New Romans are his big band, with brass section, keys, multiple guitars & percussion. At their best, they're how his music was always meant to be heard.

Friday, April 4
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Rocket Cottage
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, April 5
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
The Sames (http://www.thesames.com)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a farewell party for Schoolkids Records, which has left East Franklin Street after 33 years. In addition to the bands listed above, you've got North Elementary, Michael Rank & Mark E. Smith of Snatches of Pink, ColaSC's Heist & the Accomplice, and (apparently) more. All the proceeds go to Orange County Elementary Music Program.

And yes, you read that correctly: The Sames are reuniting to play this show. Glory be!

Saturday, April 5
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a triple-CD release party for Eberhardt, Beloved Binge & Cantwell, Gomez & Jordan. I've heard the latter two bands' CDs, and I have to say that in both cases it's their best work yet. Beloved Binge are really perfecting their weird cadences and their "we both sing different things at the same time" thing, and fewer of the songs sound like two dissimilar songs chopped up & Frankensteined back together.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan are so completely in control of their sound that there's never any doubt about who you're hearing, or about the intentionality of what they're playing, no matter how fucked-up it gets. Magisterial.

Saturday, April 5
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Boxbomb
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pour House, Raleigh

Hearts & Daggers are an honest-to-goodness cowpunk band, although they don't have the '80s-style matching-black-denim sartorial discipline of their forebears.

Saturday, April 5
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Pico vs Island Trees (http://www.picomusic.com/)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Bass Invadurrz (http://www.myspace.com/bassinvadurrz)
DJ Ron Morelli
$tinkworxx
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Our Velvet Revolution
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Once again Slim's provides a dose of the dark murky Chapel Hill/Carrboro sound to the starving ears of Downtown Raleigh.

Sunday, April 6
David Dondero (http://www.futurefarmer.com/davidd.html)
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, April 7
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Shag Athlete (http://www.myspace.com/shagathlete)
Hell, Chapel Hill

It's Hell's 11th-anniversary week, and all week long they're showcasing bands that feature current & former Hell staffers.

Tuesday, April 8
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
The Chuttesville Speak
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for Advocates for Grassroots Development in Uganda.

Tuesday, April 8
Anaturale (http://www.myspace.com/anaturale)
Athens Boys Choir (http://www.myspace.com/athensboyschoir)
Scream Club