ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 21, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 21, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:36:37 -0400

Phantom of the Paradise, tonight @ 7:30 at the Carolina! Paul Williams!

Friday, March 21
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Terrordactyls (http://www.myspace.com/theterrordactyls)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

snmnmnm have a tuba; Midtown Dickens regularly sport trumpet & trombone. Will Terrordactyls rock the French Horn?

Friday, March 21
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Pulsoptional (http://www.pulsoptional.org/)
DC/RK/ER
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This show still isn't on the Coffeehouse schedule, but the bands, at least, are sure it's happening. I guess they can always play out in the parking lot behind the building, if nobody shows up to let them in.

Certainly DC/RK/ER (pronounced dick-wrecker, of course) could do so: those initials stand for drummers Dave Cantwell (Cantwell Gomez & Jordan), Rob Koegler (Noncanon), and Evan Rowe (Maple Stave, Grappling Hook). Three drummers, nothing else.

Pulsoptional is Durham's own composers' collective; they make composed music (I'm not going to call it "21st-century classical" but I'm at a loss as to what else to call it) that's way too visceral to be called academic.

Friday, March 21
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Lovecraft (http://www.myspace.com/lovecraftnc)
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is a debut party, I think, for the Charlotte-based Southeast-focused music magazine Shuffle. I say "I think" because originally Shuffle was supposed to have its first issue out last fall, and I don't get out & about enough to know definitely whether that actually happened. Anyhoo. It's published by Chuck Morrison, the man who runs MoRisen Records (home of the Sammies & a bunch of other Charlotte-area bands), and edited by a feller who's written for Paste, among others.

I was skimming the first issue & saw a ton of familiar names in the bylines: Grayson Currin, Fred Mills, Chris Parker, Bryan Reed. And needless to say, many of the featured bands would be familiar to regular readers of this page.

Friday, March 21
Acid Mothers Temple (http://www.acidmothers.com/)
Danava (http://www.myspace.com/danava)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 21
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
The Young Antiques
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, March 21
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Samara Lubelski (http://www.samaralubelski.com)
Courtney Brown (http://www.myspace.com/courtneydbrown)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The more I listen to the decidedly lo-fi demo from Lam! Lam!, the more I like it.

Friday, March 21
Deer Tick (http://www.myspace.com/deertick)
Teenage Prayers (http://www.teenageprayers.com/)
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 22
The Connells (http://www.theconnells.com/)
Crave
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, March 22
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is another night of the Shuffle Launch Party. Not a lot of ads in the first issue, which the publisher's note calls "intentional" and which I call fairly standard for first issues, cuz there aren't many folks willing to shell out for an ad in a rag nobody's ever seen. It's the number of ads in the *second* issue that you gotta watch for.

Saturday, March 22
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Neptune (http://www.velvettabla.com/neptune/)
Invisible
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Neptune are the experimental band who build giant 40-lb guitars out of scrap metal and then struggle to play them. Invisible are a Greensboro band who modded an IBM Selectric typewriter to output control signals that feed a giant, solenoid-laden automatic piano-playing machine.

Clang Quartet is Scotty Irving's one-man noise/percussion show about Jesus. It's Easter weekend, of course, so expect something special, I guess.

Saturday, March 22
The Houstons
Nicole Atkins & the Sea (http://www.myspace.com/nicoleatkins)
The Parlor Mob (http://www.myspace.com/theparlormob)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 22
Wolverines (http://www.wolverinesrock.com/)
Whitman
Rob the Killing Tree
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 22
Hard Lessons (http://www.thehardlessons.com/)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Freshkills
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, March 23
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Blitzen Trapper (http://www.blitzentrapper.net/)
Fleet Foxes (http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Auxiliary House are the house band of Trekky Records, meaning they'll have anywhere from 6 to 20+ members, depending on who's around at that moment.

Monday, March 24
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
New Model Army (http://www.myspace.com/newmodelarmymyspace)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 25
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Goes Cube (http://www.myspace.com/goescube)
Hell, Chapel Hill

HNMTF are the Band To Watch for 2008, and I woulda told you that last year (I did, in fact), even before all the blogs caught on.

Tuesday, March 25
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Bisc 1
Domer Beats
Metermaids (http://www.myspace.com/metermaids)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 26
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is part of the Cradle's "The Club is Open" free local-music series. All three of these bands are metal bands, in one sense or another of the word. Of the three, Tooth are my favorite, which isn't really meant as a slight on the other two. Tooth are simply one of the best bands in the Triangle, period, of any genre, so I'd likely pick 'em as my fave out of just about any lineup they wound up on.

Thursday, March 27
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a free show, but donations will be accepted for the UNC Victims Assistance Fund.

Thursday, March 27
Dave Fischoff (http://www.secretlycanadian.com/secretlycanadian/fischoff/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 27
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is part of TNN/WKNC's weekly local bands, local beers series. Future Kings of Nowhere are just getting back from Austin, where I assume they made quick work of any jaded SXSW hipsters they encountered.

Thursday, March 27
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
The M Coast (http://www.marshmallowcoast.com/)
Diplomat
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 27
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Raleigh has nothing to worry about, as long as they've got Slim's booking shows this great.

Thursday, March 27
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Worn in Red (http://www.myspace.com/worninred)
Young Livers (http://www.myspace.com/younglivers)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, March 28
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, March 28
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Dodos (http://www.myspace.com/mericlong)
Silje Nes (http://www.myspace.com/siljenes)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The more excellent press Megafaun get, the more amazed and gratified I am to see that they're still able & willing to play little hometown holes-in-the-wall like Bull City HQ.

Friday, March 28
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Manics (http://www.myspace.com/themanicsrock)
Dylan Gilbert
Brett Harris
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, March 28
Diplomat
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, March 28
Tiger Bear Wolf (http://www.tigerbearwolf.com)
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's Nightlight's 5th anniversary (really?! amazing!), and the party they're throwing is heavy on the heavy, with the twin olympian dead-lift barbells of Caltrop and Tiger Bear Wolf.

Friday, March 28
Delta Spirit (http://www.deltaspirit.net)
The Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Port O'Brien (http://www.myspace.com/portobrien)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Soft Company feature a cast of 100s, all veterans of other local bands (Audubon Park, Piedmont Charisma, Razzle, Erie Choir), all united to present the chaotic pop stylings of Erin Ridings in as semi-coherent as form as possible. They remind me a bit of early Roxy Music in their simultaneous devotion to rock, suaveness, and utter chaos.

Friday, March 28
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Pour House, Raleigh

Three faces of modern pop, two from Raleigh & one, Citified, from over Triad way.

Friday, March 28
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 29
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, March 29
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Hate Prose (http://www.myspace.com/hateprose)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 29
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the brand-new Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies EP, which is pretty darn girl-group/wall-of-soundy.

Saturday, March 29
Ahleuchatistas (http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
High Rollers
Super Bowl Sunday
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Ahleuchatistas are sorta like Asheville's answer to Cantwell, Gomez & Jordan, only with a lot less singing, and more rubberbandy spazzmo freakout.

Le Weekend are sorta like Steely Dan, only with a lot less cocaine.

Saturday, March 29
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
Matt Nakoa Pryor (http://www.myspace.com/mattnakoa)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 29
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Sugar
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, March 30
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies have a new EP, "EP I," and it features five tracks of semi-pure '60s girl-group pop-psych. Lots of glockenspiel, which they've vowed to bring out in full force for the show today. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Tuesday, April 1
Caribou (http://www.caribou.fm)
Fuck Buttons (http://www.fuckbuttons.co.uk/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, April 1
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Chow Nasty
Aunt Dracula
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of March 21, 2008, grady, 03/21/2008