ch-scene - [Internationalist] good folk music! sat march 15 @ 6pmi

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] good folk music! sat march 15 @ 6pmi
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:14:36 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

Internationalist Books and Community Center is hiring a part-time
manager for our small volunteer-run non-profit collective to start
May 2008. The bookstore manager is responsible for bookkeeping and
finances, inventory, and volunteer coordination. Other
responsibilities include fundraising, public relations, and event
coordination. Quickbooks experience a plus. Successful candidate will
be organized, self-motivated, and a committed advocate for social
justice. The two-year position is for 20 hrs/week at $10/hr.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume by March 21 to
ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org.

If you are an accountant and willing to work pro bono, please email
Daniel AT internationalistbooks.org to help us with our taxes! Thank you!

Come check out our new arrivals, coming in soon from AK Press, Last
Gasp, and more!

GET A GRIP ON GREENBRIDGE
Greenbridge, a gold-certified green condominium complex, is scheduled
to arrive on Rosemary Street in Carrboro any day now. With this
controversial construction project looming, I?ll present a weekly
review of a book that deals with facts and theories behind the
multitude of issues that surround the building.
For starters, I recommend ?The Color of Wealth? by Lui, Robles, and
Leondar-Wright. For every dollar owned by the average white family in
the United States, the average family of color has less than a dime.
Why do people of color have so little wealth? The Color of Wealth lays
bare a dirty secret: for centuries, people of color have been barred
by laws and by discrimination from participating in government
wealth-building programs that benefit white Americans. This accessible
book?published in conjunction with one of the country's leading
economics education organizations?makes the case that until government
policy tackles disparities in wealth, not just income, the United
States will never have racial or economic justice. Written by five
leading experts on the racial wealth divide who recount the
asset-building histories of Native Americans, Latinos, African
Americans, Asian Americans, and European Americans, this book is a
uniquely comprehensive multicultural history of American wealth. With
its focus on public policies?how, for example, many post-World War II
GI Bill programs helped whites only?The Color of Wealth is the first
book to demonstrate the decisive influence of government on Americans?
net worth.
Although I am very excited about the concept of an
environmental-impact-free living project, one of the key concerns that
I have with Greenbridge is the drastic difference in property price
that it will cause in the surrounding neighborhood, a traditionally
lower-income African American community. Condos that begin at $350K
are already raising property taxes and forcing long-term residents to
move out of what had been family-owned houses. Of course, Greenbridge
will not be the first uprooting of the group of people who get called
the Northside Community. Rather, it comes as the next chapter in a
long history of oppression and displacement that would potentially
continue without Greenbridge?s construction. The neighborhood has
sustained itself against the harsh currents of the wealthy off-campus
student and townie population, and hopefully will continue to do so.
These condos, although they may be environmentally sustainable, are
not socially sustainable. Though surely we must constantly consider
the long-term environmental impact of our actions and projects, we
must also consider our neighbors, who might not be able to afford the
same token ?environmentally-friendly? lifestyles. Hopefully we can
work toward an environmentally, historically, and socially responsible
to exist together on this small planet and in this small town.
(thoughts: daniel AT internationalistbooks.org)

Saturday, March 15 @ 6pm
MATT CALLAHAN AND YVONNE MOORE
Musician, author, producer, activist Mat Callahan was the lead
singer/songwriter of award winning world-beat pioneers the Looters and
now has released his first solo CD A Wild Bouquet
featuring Les Claypool of Primus and other indy music icons. His most
recent book ?The Trouble with Music? is a comprehensive outlook on the
problems with and solutions for pop music today and a fascinating take
on what to do about musician copyrights. Recently seen collaborating
with Pete Seeger on Public Domain reform in Geneva and touring the
States with Swiss blues maven Yvonne Moore in support of their duet
release Welcome. Mat & Yvonne will show you what
their "new folk" is all about: Beautiful songs with intimate
harmonies and messages from an intriguing mind. Should make for a
very distinctive evening.

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: