ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 23, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 23, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:13:46 -0500

Saturday, February 23
$2 Pistols (http://www.myspace.com/twodollarpistols)
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Hickry Hawkins (http://www.myspace.com/hickryhawkins)
Reverend D-Ray and the Shockers (http://www.myspace.com/revdrayandtheshockers)
Pee Wee Moore & the Awful Dreadful Snakes (http://www.peeweemoore.com/)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

This is night two of the Garage's annual Cash Bash.

Saturday, February 23
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

You probably don't need any encouragement nowadays to check out Bowerbirds, or Midtown Dickens; 2008 is going to be their year, both of 'em.

Lost in the Trees is the solo thing of Ari Picker (ex-Never), and his 2008 is, according to the Indy, going to involve taking orchestral music to the masses.

Saturday, February 23
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Garage-surf mayhem with Killer Filler, plus more generalized spazz-out speed-blues mayhem with Dynamite Brothers.

Saturday, February 23
The Nein (http://www.thenein.com/)
Impossible Arms
Reservoir, Carrboro

Nein drummer R. Biggers had this update for us:

"It's been quite a while since our last show. We have some new songs, and we are a trio. Impossible Arms is a group Mike Meyerson plays guitar in; they're also a trio. The show is FREE, although you must be a member or signed-in by one, according to The Reservoir's website. The show may start later, like 10:30. One of our new songs is entitled "Hot Lunch." Another, "Soundgardenz." You'd be well advised to bring ear plugs to The Reservoir -- it's a loud room. There's also one we're calling "Crouton Polvo," but it's not finished . . . We should have some of our new material on myspace soon."

Saturday, February 23
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, February 23
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Trophy Wives (http://www.myspace.com/trophywivesmusic)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 24
Mountain High (http://myspace.com/themountainhigh)
Grass Widow (http://www.myspace.com/grasswidow)
Coyote
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, February 25
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 26
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Selmanaires (http://www.myspace.com/theselmanaires)
Anna Kramer & the Lost Cause (http://www.myspace.com/annakramer)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 26
Hard Luck Stories (http://www.myspace.com/hardluckstoriesmusic)
Tiger Piss (http://www.myspace.com/tigerpissrock)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 27
Dutchess Headbanger (http://www.myspace.com/leyvvonluxe)
Tiger Piss (http://www.myspace.com/tigerpissrock)
The Ropes
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 27
Cool Ethan (http://www.myspace.com/coolethanrock)
En Serenade (http://www.myspace.com/enserenade)
Kris Roe (http://www.myspace.com/theataris)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Internets tell me that Kris Roe is/was in a "punk" band called the Ataris, and furthermore that he'll be performing their 1999 masterwork album "Blue Skies, Broken Hearts . . . Next 12 Exits" during this show. Presumably if you were born in the '80s that all might make sense to you.

Wednesday, February 27
Barn Burning (http://www.barnburning.net/)
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
The Wading Girl (http://www.thewadinggirl.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, February 28
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Walking Dead (http://www.myspace.com/wearewalkingdead)
The Independents
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

I continue to be thrilled & amused by the incongruity of punkrock shows being held at street level on this section of East Franklin St. Go Jack Sprat, Go!

Thursday, February 28
Paleface
Jeff Crawford
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, February 28
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Freedom Hawk (http://myspace.com/freedomhawk)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Colossus are a metal band of the "loves Iron Maiden above all" variety. Fighting Poseidon are coming from the same school of big, technically-challenging post-hardcore as At The Drive-In, only I guess, unlike ATDI, they haven't gotten bored & dissolved & reformed as a prog-rock band yet.

Friday, February 29
The Whigs (http://www.thewhigs.com)
Spinto Band (http://www.spintoband.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, February 29
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If you're a devoted follower of the underground Greensboro <-> Durham musical axis, then you're already down with Wood Ear, which is the new-ish project of Nate Tarr, ex-Dirty Version/Killing Frost.

Friday, February 29
Sedona (http://www.sedonarock.com/)
Annuals (http://www.myspace.com/annuals)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
The Brewery, Raleigh

Friday, February 29
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Paper Cuts (http://www.myspace.com/thepapercuts)
Beach House (http://www.myspace.com/beachhousemusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 29
The Sibling Project (http://www.thesiblingproject.com/)
Cool Ethan (http://www.myspace.com/coolethanrock)
Hey Euphony (http://www.myspace.com/heyeuphony)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 29
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
All the Saints (http://www.myspace.com/allthesaints)
Hell, Chapel Hill

It does seem somehow apropos to celebrate Leap Day with a massive slab of heaviosity.

Friday, February 29
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Somewhat improbable lineup, sure . . . Dirty Little Heaters, despite their evolution into a power trio, are still a fairly straightforward/stripped-down blues-garage-rock band. Whereas Tooth are the best metal band in North Carolina, and they've got the burly beards & full-stacks to prove it.

Nevertheless, the show actually makes perfect sense, as there are still some folks in Raleigh who don't give Durham no respect, and this show packs more than enough firepower to pummel those folks into submission.

Saturday, March 1
Tom Maxwell (http://www.tommaxwell.com)
Snuzz (http://www.snuzz.com/)
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for Tom Maxwell's son Esten, who was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 3. The lineup:

Jimmy Magoo
Baron Von Rumblebuss and Redd Zeppelin
Old 86
Buddha Cat
Velvet
The Allen Boys
Dirty Little Heaters
Opening Flower Happy Bird
Midtown Dickens
Snuzz
Tom Maxwell

Saturday, March 1
Vincent Black Shadow (http://www.myspace.com/vbskicksoutthejams)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Saturday, March 1
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Auxes are the newish Chapel Hill supergroup assembled by Dave Laney (Milemarker, Griver). Kerbloki are the long-running Beastie-esque party-hip-hop band who just happen to have a rhythm section assembled from members of some of the finest metal & punk bands in town.

Hundred Air are the country/folk/rock-ish outfit fronted by Adam Price (ex-Mayflies USA). If you liked the Cub Country lineup with Jeff Clarke on Tele & backing vocals, you'll love this (and not just because it too features Jeff).

Saturday, March 1
Beat the Devil (http://www.beatthedevil.com)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 2
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Kingsbury Manx are rumbling back into motion, after some child-rearing-related downtime. They've got a new album on the verge of release, and they've worked up an acoustic set that, based on current evidence, should more than make up for violating my longstanding rule against acoustic sets.

Tune in & find out: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Monday, March 3
Matt Pond PA (http://www.mattpondpa.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, March 4
The English Beat (http://www.myspace.com/officialbeatspace)
RX Bandits (http://www.rxbandits.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Otherwise known as Dave Wakeling and a bunch of other people who weren't in the English Beat the first time around.

Tuesday, March 4
Dr. Dog (http://www.drdogmusic.com/)
A. A. Bondy (http://www.myspace.com/aabondy)
Local 506, Chapel Hill