ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 1, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 1, 2009
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:49:31 -0500

It's a leap year, don't forget. 29 days of rock, and presidential primaries.

Don't forget as well, though they aren't listed here because I'm lazy, the awesome Soul Power series of shows at Duke: http://dukeperformances.duke.edu/programs/soulpower/

Friday, February 1
Michael Rank (http://www.sleazegrinder.com/teensleazehanoi.htm)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the Early (8:00-ish) Show. Michael Rank will be joined by his Snatches of Pink bandmate Marc E. Smith for this set.

Friday, February 1
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Annuals (http://www.myspace.com/annuals)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is the umpteenth-annual WKNC Double Barrel Benefit, which was held in many previous years at dear departed Kings Barcade. Tonight is the first of two nights, and is the catchy/poppy night of the pair.

Friday, February 1
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Nina Nastasia (http://www.myspace.com/ninanastasia)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 1
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the CD-release party for the new Bringerer CD, "'fflicted." I haven't heard it, but last week I heard quite a few of the new songs live, and I can safely say that they're the same old ragged-but-right Bringerer that you know & love.

Friday, February 1
The Sibling Project (http://www.thesiblingproject.com/)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Dylan Gilbert
American Tourist
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 2
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Tooth
Pour House, Raleigh

This is the second night of the WKNC Double Barrel Benefit, and it's by far the heavier of the two. Red Collar and Sorry About Dresden will still provide plenty of catchy singalong choruses with their Big Rock Action, but Fin Fang Foom like to stretch out & brood like a horizon-filling thunderhead. And Tooth? They're the force-five tornado.

Saturday, February 2
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 2
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
The Black Sheep (http://www.myspace.com/anuphillbattle)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 2
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Pony Pants (http://www.myspace.com/ponypants)
Vytear (http://www.myspace.com/vytear)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The monthly FrequeNC Records nights at Nightlight are purportedly the Dance Party of the Month--I wouldn't know, I'm from the early '90s.

Saturday, February 2
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Freedom Hawk
Hell, Chapel Hill

If you're going to brave the toxic smoke cloud that is Hell, you may as well do so for some Big Rock Action.

Sunday, February 3
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Ben Davis & his Jetts I'm sure you know about by now. What started out as some lullaby-esque songs written on piano for his son Rick have morphed over the years into a big, highly distinctive rock machine. Though I'm told that Ben's just about to become a Double Dad, so mebbe it'll be back to the quiet piano lullabyes for a while.

Either way, you'll hear it here first, because the show's an hour earlier now: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, February 3
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Doog
Grampall Jookabox
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, February 4
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Midnite Sun (http://www.myspace.com/midnite_sun)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All, meaning there's no cover, and thus precious little excuse for you to not go drink a pint & watch some young up-and-comers.

Tuesday, February 5
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 6
Amps Do Furnish a Room (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Read Underwater (http://myspace.com/readunderwater)
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Marvell Building, Durham

Amps Do Furnish a Room are the local project-band of a bunch of longtime music veterans. They learn an album every year, and then play it through a few times at local venues. I'm told this is your last chance to see/hear 2007's album, Television's Marquee Moon. (For 2008: The Byrds' Notorious Byrd Brothers)

Wednesday, February 6
Pacific Before Tiger
Darsombra (http://darsombra.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 7
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is part of TNN's weekly "local beers, local bands" series. The Loners are Raleigh's favorite gtr/drums stripped-to-the-bones garage-rock outfit. The Dirty Little Heaters have left the world of gtr/drums duos behind; they're a power trio now, and the term is most definitely apt.

Thursday, February 7
Ecstatic Sunshine (http://www.ecstaticsunshine.com)
White Williams (http://www.myspace.com/whitewilliams)
Rings (http://www.myspace.com/firstnationlove)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 7
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 7
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Adam Thorn (http://www.myspace.com/thetopbuttons)
The Unholy Four (http://www.myspace.com/unholyfour)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Hazerai are a screamy technoparaoid post-Fugazi precision-punkrock band. Adam Thorn used to sing for Kudzu Wish; now he makes ragged but brilliant Mod-obsessed rock-n-soul.

Friday, February 8
$2 Pistols (http://www.myspace.com/twodollarpistols)
Jason Ringenberg (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rmhodge/index.html)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Earlier this year, the Two Dollar Pistols announced they're going to be breaking up, so assuming they're still playing this show (they said they'd try to squeeze a few more in), this is one of your last chances to see 'em. Don't fritter it away.

Friday, February 8
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, February 8
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Blood Red Sun (http://myspace.com/bloodredsun)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Transportation were Just Another Band Outta Amherst, back years & years ago when they first moved to Chapel Hill. They've been here so long that I reckon just about everybody, including me, has forgotten they ever lived anywhere. Although I do think they are the only local band to wear their Wings & Queen influences so boldly on their sleeves.

Friday, February 8
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Lonely H.
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, February 9
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, February 9
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
The Humboldt Current (http://www.myspace.com/thehumboldtcurrent)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez: "This show is a kick-off and benefit for the ambitious ProjectSymphony initiative, which aims to support composers in writing original concert music for orchestra, while simultaneously benefiting a local charity!! Look out for the first ProjectSymphony performance in the fall of 2008."

Saturday, February 9
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Jen Richelson (http://www.myspace.com/jenrichelson)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Erie Choir's 2006 album, "Slighter Awake," is likely going to go down as one of the finest local releases of the decade. Given the usual pace at which they write & record new material, it may also go down as their *only* release of the decade. At least they play out a bit more frequently.

Saturday, February 9
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Lovecraft (http://www.myspace.com/lovecraftnc)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 9
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Warm in the Wake (http://www.warminthewake.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter sport a clear Velvet Underground influence, but it's filtered through a rural Orange/Chatham sensibility that makes it come out *more*, not less, screwy.

Saturday, February 9
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

HUGE-osity.

Monday, February 11
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Hugs and Kisses
Rage Against the Cage
Twink Billy
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

As I was typing this up, I thought to myself "how does one know whether these bands are fake or not?" & immediately answered myself "what difference does it make?"

Monday, February 11
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Grey Market (http://www.greymarketband.com)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)