ch-scene - Now Booking Artists for Sessions@KNC!!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Stevo <djstevo AT wknc.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Now Booking Artists for Sessions@KNC!!
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:10:48 -0800 (PST)

Hey guys,
You've probably heard me incessantly hem and haw about this for going
on about 2.5 years now, but we've finally got our stuff together, and
I'm glad to report that Sessions@KNC is now (woooo) in the process of
booking bands!

So, in the off-chance that you haven't heard me talk about this
program, or if you're unclear about it, let me give you a rundown
about what Sessions is all about. Basically, we'll bring your band,
all people included, into our studios. Depending upon how big you
guys are, or the kind of music you play, we'll find an appropriate
room with good sonic characteristics for recording. There, we'll help
you set up, wire up all the gear with microphones and DI boxes, and
perform a sound check. We'll have you play what'll amount to a
typical live set, recording the whole thing, and then we'll help you
tear the stuff down.

A few weeks later you'll get back a CD or a link to the component
tracks of the recording along with a mastered copy, and that recording
is officially, legally yours, and you can sell it or rock it or do
whatever you'd like with it. The only stipulation about this is that
you'll give us a license to play it over KNC or include it with any
compilations, and all the tracks you receive will be licensed under
something known as Creative Commons. In a nutshell, Creative Commons
is a new way to deal with music copyright, wherein the artist keeps
the majority of their rights to a sound recording they make while
allowing for the recording to be traded freely around the Internet.

Creative Commons, like all copyright stuff, can be confusing, so if
you'd like to learn more, here are a few really good resources:

CC FAQ: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ
A good CC instructional video: http://creativecommons.org/support/videos#ccp
Explanation of CC Licenses: http://creativecommons.org/about/license/

After you get a listen to the recordings, you'll simply let us know
which ones you'd like us to distribute and which ones you don't (and
it's perfectly fine if you don't want to distribute any of them), and
we'll put them up on a site known as Jamendo (www.jamendo.com), a big
open-source music sharing site. You can, of course, distribute any
tracks you record as well, from your website, ReverbNation, anywhere.
Finally, we'll broadcast the recording in whole at a good prime-time
spot, so you'll get a lot of coverage, and a lot of new listeners can
hear what you sound like live.

All of the stuff we do will be totally free, everyone is welcome, and
we'd also love to get some bands in who'd like to record some good-
quality live stuff but can't afford or don't have the equipment to do
it themselves. To get booked, send me an e-mail at djstevo AT wknc.org.
It looks like, for each one we do, we'll likely do them on Sundays,
during the day, so if there'd be a good Sunday for you, let me know,
and I'll work it into the schedule.

Finally, the contract (which is basically all of this in legalese)
that you'll need to sign is located here:

http://thekobayashimaru.org/sessionscontract.doc

If you'd like to do this but have some reservations or issues with the
contract, let me know, and we'll work it out. Also, if you have any
questions or concerns about Sessions, the contract, CC, or any other
part of it, I'd be happy to answer them.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read my post, and if you're
interested, let me know!
-Stevo
djstevo AT wknc.org