ch-scene - Re: CD Balance

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CD Balance
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:33:12 -0500

VisArt puts stickers on all their DVDs, which rotate at a higher rate (AFAIK) than CDs, and they seem to do OK.

Having said that, stickers on CDs suck. They make it difficult, sometimes, to insert/eject in those slot-loading players that are common in cars. They *could* give cheap CD players balance issues, as you suggest. They're also affixed directly to the usually-flimsy top layer of lacquer or ink that protects the data on the CD . . . do you know for sure whether the adhesive won't either eat through that layer & into the data, or stick to it so firmly that it pulls some off if the sticker is removed?

Anyhoo, if you're gonna do it, put it as close to the center as possible to minimize the wobble it'll cause.

James Hepler wrote:
Would it ruin a CD to put a small, say 3/4 inch
sticker on it? That is to ask, do you think it would
throw off the balance of a cd to do that?

There are CD players with a mechanism that holds the
CD steady, so I think in those it would be fine, but
other CD players have the spindle that comes up from
below. That's the kind I'm worried about.

What say ye?