ch-scene - [Internationalist] is shopping local in december

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] is shopping local in december
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:38:33 -0500

internationalist books & community center
405 w franklin street
chapel hill, nc 27516
internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

Happy December from all of us at Internationalist Books & Community Center!

It's been a busy year full of really great events. We've hosted Ariel
Gore (Hip Mama), Mykel Board (I, A-Me-Ist), Paul Ortiz (Emancipation
Betrayed), Sabrina Gschwandtner (KnitKnit), the editors of CHOICE, and
many more. If you haven't joined us for an event, you have one final
chance on Saturday, December 15. Leslie James Pickering will be here
to discuss "Mad Bomber Melville" at 6pm (details below).

It's been great having your support throughout the year, and we look
forward to seeing you in 2008. Make sure your memberships are renewed
so you can continue supporting Chapel Hill's only non-profit bookshop
and community space.

We have some great gifts to share with your friends and family this
holiday season. These reviews have been written by our volunteers.

In THE SECRET WORLD OF TERIJIAN (Crimethinc 2007), a book directed
towards children, a little boy Connor and his friend Moriko try to
destroy the machinery that is destroying the magical world of
Terijian, located in the woods behind Connor?s house. This story
illustrates how, especially at a young age, actions may speak louder
than words. The author begins his story addressing the youth of 2007,
saying:Little Ones,It will be years before you read this story, and
longer still before you find the messages I?ve smuggled to you in this
little book. By the time you read this, the world of Terijian will
probably be gone. It seems the elves who live there have
disappeared?I?ll let you in on something I wish that I had learned a
long time ago: no one is born an elf; there are only those who choose
to act as them. The author calls for activism from youth and a rebirth
of an energy advocating the decline of further urbanization and
industrialization.

CHOICE (MacAdam Cage 2007) is an edited volume of essays about
reproductive rights and reproductive choices. The stories are
powerful, moving, and question the very question of "choice": in a
patriarchal society, how do women find the room even to "choose"
abortions? Ultimately, the book argues that a woman's freedom of
choice is a necessity for women to be healthy in America. A portion of
the proceeds supports Planned Parenthood.

NIKKI MCCLURE'S COLLECT RAINDROPS (2007) is a large collection of the
beautiful papercuts she's become famous for. It makes a perfect gift
book. Also, we have calendars, posters, and other books by Nikki
McClure. Come in and check all of them out.

KNITKNIT (2007) is Sabrina Gschwandtner's epic collection of amazing
knitting projects from across the globe. Some projects are small and
some projects are gigantic, but they are all beautiful and
captivating. We still have signed copies!

And of course, we have SLINGSHOTS (both sizes! all sorts of colors!),
MOLESKINES, and many more great books, more and more coming in each
day. Stop in and and pick up yours and one for every friend! And as
always, think of gifting a 1-year membership. You're giving them 10%
off of every new book and magazine in the store, while simultaneously
supporting the mission.

We look forward to seeing you soon. Have a happy holiday season (or
happy December!) and a happy new year!

All best,
all of us at internationalist books & community center

----------

MAD BOMBER MELVILLE
by Leslie James Pickering
Saturday, December 15 2007 @ 6:00pm

Join us for Leslie James Pickering's latest book release, Mad Bomber
Melville, the long overdue biography of Samuel Melville, a white,
working class revolutionary. His guerrilla bombings of Manhattan
skyscrapers, housing government and corporate offices driving the
Vietnam War, set in motion a flood of armed revolutionary actions in
the United States during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Once
imprisoned, Melville became a key organizer and a crucial element of
the notorious Attica Prison rebellion, uniting prisoners across racial
barriers and making the ultimate sacrifice for revolutionary change.
Mad Bomber Melville traces Sam Melville s short life and rapid
political development, highlighting a much-needed example of an
undying and uncompromising struggle for justice and liberation. note
earlier time!

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: