ch-scene - repost from Dave Cantwell

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kim Gray <kim AT 307knoxrecords.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: repost from Dave Cantwell
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:43:22 -0800 (PST)

Folks:

The confusion!

You might know that there was to be a huge post-Troika
Fest Troika show this Friday with some out-of-town
bands. Well, the out-of-town bands canceled and
Troika decided to cancel the show altogether (or at
least their affiliation with the show).
But, the local bands from the bill (plus one) decided
that we have nothing else to do that nite, so we may
as well play. Because we love to play music for you.

And now we can have a rockshow at a real rockshow
price ( i.e., five bucks).

Friday, Nov. 16th
Duke CoffeeHouse (BYOB, y'all)
8:30 PM:

DES ARK
CANTWELLGOMEZANDJORDAN
VERONIQUE DIABOLIQUE
POLYNYA

OK. This should be fun. Durham gets things done.
--Dave C.

PS: Yes, they still sell Orangina

DES ARK=A solo set, in which a heckle-proof Aimee will
ask you to step closer so's to better hear the
brutally delicate, beautiful jamz that she seems like
she has to get out. Tenor guitars forever!!

CANTWELLGOMEZANDJORDAN=Myth Rock for the 21st Century.
(But only cute myths, none of this "Myth of the
Justice of the Capitalistic Society" business. We're
talking unicorns, mermaids, trolls. Shit like that.)

VERONIQUE DIABOLIQUE=Perhaps the weirdest band in
town. Oddly sincere, sorta gothic, lovely
choruspedalpostpunk (like, new wave) jams that create
a awesome cosmic dissonance with their somewhat
extreme stage personae. Truly a sight (and sound) to
behold.

POLYNYA=The not-really-new-anymore, sorta poppy, odd,
sometimes electronicish supergroup from...The
Triangle. This band features Amelia, one of my
favorite local drummers (any one remember Ready?), so
you'll have to have a heart of stone to not like this
band.

  • repost from Dave Cantwell, Kim Gray, 11/14/2007