ch-scene - Mike Evin at The Cave tonight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area and culture local music <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Mike Evin at The Cave tonight
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:02:33 -0500

I caught a really fantastic Mike Evin gig in Charlotte last night, and he's playing again at the Cave tonight.

I'd never seen Mike play before, after being aware of his music for a few years. He's originally from Montreal although he currently lives in Halifax, and many of my Canuck indie rock peeps talk about his 2005 record "I'll Bring The Stereo" in the hushed tones reserved for Zumpano and early Ron Sexsmith records.

Veering between Randy Newman (cynical) and Jonathan Richman (earnest), often within the same song, fans of wry, cynical/earnest piano pop should catch his shit. Mike posesses phenomenal hooks and truly awesome stride-y piano chops -- that is, when he's not finger snapping and hand clapping the audience into some otherworldly bliss.

I was sort of surprised his shows didn't get written up locally this week (he played the Broad St. Cafe this past Thursday), so don't say I didn't tell you!

http://www.myspace.com/mikeevin

dB

  • Mike Evin at The Cave tonight, Bryk, 11/10/2007