ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #133

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #133
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:57:44 -0500

Rotation #133 - November 5, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

Jason Isbell's CD, Sirens In The Ditch, fell through the cracks of my
audtion process and just this week I rediscovered it underneath the seat of
my car. I'd been listening to it a lot but never got it into rotation
because I misplaced the CD. This is definitely one of those CDs that grows
on you with repeated listenings. At first my favorite track was "Down In A
Hole" but over time "Brand New Kind of Actress" and "The Magician" started
standing out. Amazingly, the track that was my least favorite on the first
listen has become my favorite/ "Grown" is the clearly the centerpiece track
of the CD and has some gut-wrenching lyrics. In fact I'd say that Isbell's
strenghts is in writing ballads that seem realistic and just a little bit
unsettling al at the same time.

Every time I htink I'm bored with rock music a band comes along to prove me
wrong. This time it's from Chicago-based country-rock veterans, The
Javelinas. Their latest release, Seven Sisters will knock you flat against
the wall and make you thank them for it too. It's all good, but the knowck
out track is "Red Shoes."

As always, the full rotation is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/11/taproot-radio-news-133.html>at
the Taproot Radio web site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video "SSA <http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/11/ssa-by-javelinas.html>" by
the Javelinas

Calendar: Nov 10
Two Dollar Pistols w/ Eilen Jewell @ The Hideaway
Spanking Charlene @ The Cave
The Rev. Horton Heat and Hank III @ The Lincoln Theater

Nov 11
Chris Berardo and the Desperardos @ The Hideaway
Recent Adds Fixin' To Fall / Robbie Fulks / Revenge / 2:55
Busy Not Cryin' / Robbie Fulks / Revenge / 3:16
That's A Good Enough Reason / Robbie Fulks / Revenge (Disc 2) / 4:10
Believe / Robbie Fulks / Revenge (Disc 2) / 3:45
I Like Being Left Alone / Robbie Fulks / Revenge (Disc 2) / 3:14

Brand New Kind Of Actress / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 5:35
Down In A Hole / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 4:23
Grown / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 3:47
Hurricanes And Hand Grenades / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 5:12
Shotgun Wedding / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 3:50
The Magician / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 4:20

Just Some Girl / Phil Lee / You Should Have Known Me Then / 4:04
Carl's Got Louise / Phil Lee / You Should Have Known Me Then / 3:46
2 For The Price of 1 / Phil Lee / You Should Have Known Me Then / 2:56
Jemima James / Phil Lee / You Should Have Known Me Then / 4:09
Daddy's Jail / Phil Lee / You Should Have Known Me Then / 3:46

El Microscopico Bikini (Dizzy Miss Lizzy) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en
Español Vol. One / 2:51
La Hiedra Venenosa (Poison Ivy) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en Español Vol.
One / 3:12
Hey Lupe (Hang on Sloopy) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en Español Vol. One /
3:19
Loco Te Patina el Loco (Wild Thing) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en Español
Vol. One / 2:44

Seven Sisters / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 3:58
High Horse / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 3:18
Red Shoes / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 2:54
Red Red Rain / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 4:16
SSA / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 3:38
Proud As A Peacock / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 2:25
Havana Hurricane Warning / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 2:59

NWT / 4:20 / The Zoo Human Project / Naissance
Naissance / 2:40 / The Zoo Human Project / Naissance

40 Days / The Hickups / The Hickups / 3:19
Time We Got Together / The Hickups / The Hickups / 3:02

This Week's Focus Tracks: Brand New Kind Of Actress / Jason Isbel / Sirens
Of The Ditch / 5:35
Seven Sisters / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 3:58
The Other Side / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 2:11
Nobody's Baby / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 2:28
If You Want Me To / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:33
Off The Blues / Sol / Volume: Blue / 3:16
Fixin' To Fall / Robbie Fulks / Revenge / 2:55
El Microscopico Bikini (Dizzy Miss Lizzy) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en
Español Vol. One / 2:51
Midnight Parade / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 3:38
Backin' Up On Peggy / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:17
Tortured Mind / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone Today / 3:53
Natural Wonder / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 3:08
The Last Time / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 2:59
Put It On Me / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 3:30
Way Out / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:07
Every 24 Hours / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 4:33
No Big Deal / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's Large / 3:30
Too Hot To Sleep / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers / 2:30
Happier Times / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 4:13
Block Of Wood / Carbon Leaf / Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat / 4:04
The Golden State / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 3:02
Fishnet Stocking / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hot & Live! /
5:14
Go To Sleep / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:04
Hard Times (Hard Times Come Again No More) / Jacob Sweet / Old Town School
Of Folk Music Songbook Volume Two & Three (Disc 2) / 4:18
When the Train Comes Along / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 2:45
Wang Dang Doodle / Howlin' Wolf / From Clarksdale to Cleveland Vol.1 The
Roadhouse / 2:19
How Will You Shine / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 5:12
Pay The Price / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:20
Highways And Cigarettes / Son Volt / The Search / 3:55
I Love You Because / Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price / Last Of The
Breed [Disc 2] / 3:04

DJ/Promo Tracks: NWT / The Zoo Human Project / Naissance / 4:20
The Cold Hard Facts Of Life / T.Tex Edwards & Out On Parole / Pardon Me,
I've Got Someone To Kill / 3:08
Oak Tree Girl / Powersolo / It's Raceday ...And Your Pussy Is GUT!!! / 2:22
Uncle Sam / Bill Staines / Old Dogs / 3:05
Blue Ridge Cabin Home / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 2:52
40 Days / The Hickups / The Hickups / 3:19
All The Roadrunning / Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris / All The Roadrunning /
4:49
Down to the Well / Kevin Gordon with Lucinda Williams / No Depression: What
It Sounds Like, Vol. 1 / 4:09
Natural Mean Lover / Grandpaboy / Dead Man Shake / 2:18
Righteously / Lucinda Williams / Live @ The Fillmore [Disc 2] / 4:56

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie