ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #132 - Sharon Jones, Ryan Bingham, Power Solo

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #132 - Sharon Jones, Ryan Bingham, Power Solo
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:03:25 -0400

Howdy,

It's been another good week for me on the music front. I got my hands on the
latest Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings CD. This third CD from Sharon seems to
be just a touch mellower than her previous two and it shows that she can tug
at your heart strings as well as blow you away with the sheer power of her
voice and charisma. So it's a good rounding out of her previous efforts and
there's still plenty of music the move too. I think my favorite is "Let Them
Knock" For a nice slow burn check out "Nobody's Baby". And for a a great
gospel tune, check out "Answer Me."

If you were a PR flack inventing fictitious character backgrounds for the
perfect Americana Star, you couldn't write a narrative any better than Ryan
Bingham's. According to his press kit, he grew up in rural Texas doing ranch
work in the wilds. Basically lived on his own from an early age. Did the
rodeo circuit for a while, often sleeping in the bed of his pickup. Learned
to play guitar from a neighbor who played mariachi. Influenced by Dylan,
Marshal Tucker, and Bob Wills. Eventualy got a gig in a bar and then hit the
big time. The result is his debut on Lost Highway records called Mescalito
and the thing that impesses me the most about this music is that it's
basically a rock CD. Not a single honky tonk or Texas swing tune on the
entire CD as far as I can tell. There's all the trappings of a country band
there. Mandolin, slide guitar, some occasional harmonica. But even so, I
wouldn't even call this CD a "country rock" CD. I'd just call it a rock CD
set in Texas. Maybe the production help from Marc Ford had something to do
with it. I really got into the opening track, "Southside of Heaven" because
the band actually had the nerve to pause and change tempos in a song. I also
really liked "Bread and Water" and "Borracho Station." But the stand out
track that's gonna make the heavy rotation lists has got to be "Travelin
Jones."

I recently heard of a Danish band called Powersolo because they are touring
with Heavy Trash whose latest CD I've been playing over and over. These guys
have a similar sound, perhaps even rawer and definitely raunchier than Jon
Spencer and Matt Verta-Ray's show. I'm a sucker for this stuff. I just wish
I could figure out what to call it. psychobilly-meltdown?

As always, the full rotation is online
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/taproot-radio-news-132.html>at the web
site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
VideoRyan Bingham live in Austin
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/ryan-bingham-at-saxon-pub-in-austin.html>.

Calendar:Oct 29: Bobby Bare Jr. w/ Lucero @ The Cat's Cradle
Oct 31: Dexter Romweber @ The Local 506
Nov 2: Lour Ford @ Sadlacks
Nov 4: Jeffrey Dean Foster @ The Pour House

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music Calendar
<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>.
Recent Adds 100 Days, 100 Nights / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days,
100 Nights / 3:46
Nobody's Baby / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 2:28
Be Easy / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 3:04
Let Them Knock / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 4:30
Something's Changed / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights /
2:57
Keep On Looking / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 2:50
Answer Me / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 4:08

Southside Of Heaven / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 6:19
The Other Side / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 2:11
Bread And Water / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 4:09
Borracho Station / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 2:03
Sunshine / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 4:21
Ghost Of Travelin' Jones / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 4:09
Hard Times / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 4:38
Take It Easy Mama / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 3:03

Baby, You Ain't Looking Right / Powersolo / It's Raceday / 2:01
Oak Tree Girl / Powersolo / It's Raceday / 2:22
Nascar / Powersolo / It's Raceday / 1:34

Sweet Wyoming Home / Bill Staines / Old Dogs / 4:21
Uncle Sam / Bill Staines / Old Dogs / 3:05

Blue Ridge Cabin Home / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 2:52
By The Touch Of Her Hand / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 3:29
We'll Meet Again / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 2:44
So Long, See You Tomorrow / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 3:40

This Week's Focus Tracks: Southside Of Heaven / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito /
6:19
100 Days, 100 Nights / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights /
3:46
Heavy Load / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 3:29
Gotta Have Rain / Sol / Volume: Blue / 4:39
Sex, Lies and Money / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 3:14
High Rollin' Gambler / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 2:43
I Don't Know You (But I Don't Like You) / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow
Gone Today / 3:02
They Call It Love / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 3:58
Say You Will / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:58
That Ain't Right / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:21
Take A Chance On Love / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:02
Somebrightmorninblues / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 3:44
Up In Indiana [Acoustic] / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's
Large / 4:35
Where They Never Say Your Name / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners &
Strangers / 2:32
Rocket From The Crypt / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 2:29
As Long As I Have You / The Detroit Cobras / Tied & True / 2:58
Hotel Ghost / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 2:27
The Weight Of Lies / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:30
No Time To Waste / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 4:40
Hard And It's Hard (Hard, Ain't It Hard) / Katherine Hall / Old Town School
Of Folk Music Songbook Volume Two & Three (Disc 2) / 3:48
Mama, Nobody's Here But The Baby / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 0:53
Blues Hangover / Slim Harpo / From Clarksdale to Cleveland Vol.1 The
Roadhouse / 3:04
Rip Off / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 3:13
Cranky Mulatto / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:13
Not The Crying Kind / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 4:11
Jesus Is On The Main Line / Mavis Staples / We'll Never Turn Back / 6:32
Goin' Away Party / Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price / Last Of The
Breed [Disc 2] / 3:26
Circles / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 4:05
To The Angry Evangelist / Po' Girl / Home To You / 2:21
Soul Meets Body / Death Cab For Cutie / Broadcasts Vol. 14 (Disc 1) / 3:37

DJ/Promo Tracks: California Sky / Kenny Harlan / Waiting For You / 3:24
Friday, Sunday's Coming / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 3:00
Sunset / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The Green / 3:05
Twenty Fingers / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 6:04
Cold, Cold War / James Power / Real, Real Man / 2:36
You Ain't Never Gonna' Live To Love Saturday Again / T.Tex Edwards & Out On
Parole / Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill / 2:18
Baby, You Ain't Looking Right / Powersolo / It's Raceday ...And Your Pussy
Is GUT!!! / 2:01
Sweet Wyoming Home / Bill Staines / Old Dogs / 4:21
So Long, See You Tomorrow / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 3:40
Paper Wings / Gillian Welch / Revival / 3:58

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #132 - Sharon Jones, Ryan Bingham, Power Solo, Calvin Powers, 10/28/2007