ch-scene - 10/31 - Dry Heathens, Pretty Boy Thorson - Halloween Party in Durham!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: chaz <bullcityrocks AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: 10/31 - Dry Heathens, Pretty Boy Thorson - Halloween Party in Durham!
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:45:37 -0000

Tired of dealing with the swarms of people that is Chapel Hill on
Halloween night?
Want to just stick around Durham and see some good bands and drink
some beer within stumbling distance to home/Cosmic Cantina??

Well, it's your night then!!
Come dressed, come undressed, doesn't matter to us.
Alls we're looking for is a bit of a Halloween hootenany.

------------------------------
Wednesday, October 31st. 9pm. 5 bucks.
@ Siren's Bar in Durham.
Halloween PARTY Get-Down!!
(and Chris' last night as bartender!)
------------------------------

PRETTY BOY THORSON & THE FALLING ANGELS
[http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson]
(yup yup, as seen stompin up a storm at the James Joyce and Bull City
Records!! these guys kick it out like a more dirty Merle Haggard
getting lost and accidentally playing at CBGBs with the Ramones and
the Dead Boys. heya! they got the fire in their souls, they do.
country punk at its very finest. you been missing Jason & the
Scorchers or Rank & File lately??? well look no further. there will
not be a sober face left in the bunch. smashed. promise. see 'em.
they're your best friends.)

DRY HEATHENS
[http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens]
(the Dry Heathens somehow get worlds better each time i see them. this
leads me to only one conclusion, the absolute recklessness and abandon
they churn out onstage is a product of only having band practice when
they're up there. yup. and this is not a slam, this is meant as a huge
compliment. these guys are the closest thing to the Replacements i
will ever get to see and i'm thanking my life that i live in the same
town with them. hell, maybe we can convince them into some old 'Mats
jams...it is Halloween afterall. or hell. i hear stirrings of Ramones
covers. garage, punk, rock, whatever you want to throw at them,
they'll drink it down. some of the catchiest songs the Triangle has to
offer.)

DEAR LANDLORD
[http://www.myspace.com/letslynchthedearlandlord]
(catchy as all hell, anthemic powerpop punk outta Carbondale, IL. this
band is made up of 1/2 the Copyrights and 1/2 Rivethead. yeah, that
equals good. no kidding. go listen to othem now. i'd like to dress up
in a banana suit and bounce around singing along to them. go listen to
"I Live in Hell" on their myspace page. you'll be a happier person.)

CORTEZ THE KILLER
[http://www.myspace.com/fightwasted]
(crap, i'm bad at promoting, i don't know much on these guys. just
that Pretty Boy Thorson likes 'em enough to take them on tour with
them...and that's good enough for me! sounds messy, sloppy and a
little drunk, so i have a feeling i'm gonna love these guys. they
remind me of that song that you always sing along to with your friends
in a bar or at a wedding ("Sweet Caroline"?) when you've had a few too
many...except they're a band made up of that song and feeling.
awesome. i dunno. but i'm happy with that description.)

See ya out!!
love, chaz.

  • 10/31 - Dry Heathens, Pretty Boy Thorson - Halloween Party in Durham!, chaz, 10/26/2007