ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of October 12, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of October 12, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:38:09 -0400

Friday, October 12
The Donnas (http://www.myspace.com/thedonnas)
American Bang (http://www.americanbang.net)
Donita Sparks (http://www.donitasparks.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's safe to say The Donnas couldn't exist, at least not in their present form, were it not for bands like Donita Sparks' L7. I guess it's just her bad luck that Donita's the diminutive of Donna, thus dooming her to the opening slot on this tour?

Friday, October 12
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
TWIN (http://www.wearetwin.com)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Three distinctive takes on the duo thing: Eberhardt bust out some des_arky gtr/drums angst-jams, but mix it up with trombone & banjo. TWIN, formerly King Cobra, are what Rachel Carns has been doing since The Need broke up. And Curtains of Night drop the wall-of-sludgebomb.

I'm told that the solo Aimee-only version of des_ark is also on this bill, so show up on time (9:30-ish).

Friday, October 12
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Scissors for Lefty (http://www.scissorsforlefty.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, October 12
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Tulsa (http://www.myspace.com/tulsamusic)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter are an unlikely mix of Durham rock vets, Chatham County survivalists, and young Cave-dwellers, bonded via common love for the Velvet Underground. And beer. Occasionally Sonar Strange gets up to sing a number, and time stops.

Western Civ, I'm told, are not the same as the Western Civilization who played Blend on Wednesday. The Abbreviated Ones just moved here en masse from Muscle Shoals (we really should get to pick one local band to exchange for every new band that shows up . . . who wants to move to Alabama?)

Friday, October 12
Sunset Rubdown (http://www.absolutelykosher.com/sunsetrubdown.htm)
Magic Weapon (http://www.myspace.com/magicweapon)
Johnny and the Moon (http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandthemoon)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 13
Jon Shain (http://www.jonshain.com)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Competent Drummer
Central Park, Durham

This is a benefit for the Coalition to Unchain Dogs, who are a direct-action group who offer to build fences for peeps who have dogs chained in their yards. It starts at 5:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 13
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show, 7:30 or so. Veronique Diabolique haven't gotten tired of being French Goths from Durham yet. Good thing the days are getting shorter, so they can make it to the show without having to be outdoors in the daylight.

Saturday, October 13
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Earlimart (http://www.earlimartmusic.com)
Office (http://www.reachoffice.net)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, October 13
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
The Pendletons
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the late (10:00-ish) show. Red Collar are the kind of band that spawns spontaneous audience singalongs. Fighting Poseidon are an offshoot of the defunct Greensboro 21st-century post-metalpunk technoparanoid band Kudzu Wish, and are, in fact, a lot like Kudzu Wish, albeit without the amped-up vocal antics of KW frontman Adam Thorn.

Saturday, October 13
Heads on Sticks (http://www.thisisstrange.org/)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Jay Reatard (http://www.myspace.com/jayreatard)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Heads on Sticks is the solo side-project of Dave Mueller of Strange/Birds of Avalon. Double Negative put out the best hardcore record of the decade a few months ago. Jay Reatard is from Memphis; he used to be a snotty punk in his band the Reatards, and since then has explored all the possibilities that you thought synthy post-punk had long since exhausted (yeah, no, it hadn't). Our own Ben Donnelly (Blackstrap) reviewed Jay's early-'07 solo album for Dusted: http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/3386

Saturday, October 13
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Russian Spy Camera (http://www.russianspycamera.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Russian Spy Camera are from Athens, I believe. Opening Flower Happy Bird are now 100% Carrboro. Given how much of their previous aesthetic was the result of their living in 2 different cities, I expect all kinds of new & exiting things from 'em now.

Sunday, October 14
Gainer (http://myspace.com/gainer)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, October 14
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The members of Hammer No More the Fingers grew up around here, and have been playing in bands together since middle school. So perhaps it's not surprising that they do more than a little channeling of '90s-style squirmy-guitars indie-rock. Sounds remarkably fresh, too, and there's no need to take my word for it: tune in 88.7 FM or wxdu.org at 5:00 p.m.

Sunday, October 14
The Octopus Project (http://www.theoctopusproject.com/)
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sunday, October 14
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Hex Machine (http://www.myspace.com/hexmachine)
Qui (http://www.myspace.com/qui)
Prize Country (http://www.myspace.com/prizecountry)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Big bill for a Sunday night. Hazerai are state-of-the-art freakout screamo postpunk from Chapel Hill. Qui used to be just another gtr/drums duo from the West Coast until David Yow unexpectedly joined them a year or two ago.

Sunday, October 14
Summerbirds in the Cellar (http://www.summerbirds.com/)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
The Makes Nice (http://www.myspace.com/themakesnice)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

I saw some photos of Sir Arthur & his Knights over at Mann's World, and everything was a blur of velvet jackets, big moustaches, and giant curly wigs. At least I *hoped* they were wigs, but Rawls has informed
me that they're the real thing. shudder.

I really liked the ultra-grungy garagerock of the Makes Nice, but the fuckers didn't have download enabled, so fuck 'em. Or go see 'em.

Sunday, October 14
El Sucio
Cobra Khan
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Hell, Chapel Hill

The mighty Luke Herbst (Cursor, Ben Davis Band, El Sucio, Cobra Khan) is coming through town, so the remaining local members of El Sucio (Sam Taylor & Murat Dirlik, both of whom now play in Caltrop) and Cobra Khan (Billy Buckley and the ubiquitous Lee Waters) decided to put together a reunion show. The final Cobra Khan show was one of the most chest-poundingly loud shows I've ever heard/felt. I'm told that Lee & Billy also figured what the hell, they'd throw in some tunes by their other late lamented band Panzer, as well, so this is truly an unmissable evening. Opening the show is Auxes, a new band put together by Dave Laney. Here's what he says:

"Auxes is a new band I'm doing. I played in Milemarker/Challenger/etc. I recorded a record playing everything, now it's expanded to a 6 piece with two drummers including John from Caltrop/Hazerai (he's doing a double that night with Hazerai at the 506) and Noah from Milemarker. Also involved is Ben Davis, Mike from Fin Fang Foom, and my friend Pete (Summer Sorcerer). It's the first show for us."

Monday, October 15
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Mouthus (http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/artist.php?id=7)
Yellow Swans (http://www.jyrk.com/yellowswans/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Yellow Swans & Mouthus are both noise from outta town. Clang Quartet is from here, if here includes the outskirts of Greensboro. Scotty has been doing his solo-percussion-and-noise tribute to Christ for 10+ years now, and it's still never the same show twice.

Monday, October 15
Jen Richelson (http://www.myspace.com/jenrichelson)
Arkadelphia (http://www.myspace.com/arkadelphia)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 15
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 16
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Darkmeat / Vomit Lasers Family Band (http://www.myspace.com/darkmeats)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Long Legged Woman (http://www.myspace.com/longleggedwoman)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Good lord, way too much show for a Tuesday night. Athens' Dark Meat have built up quite the giant freakout reputation around here, for their shambling 47-people-playing-Neil-Young live shows. Opening Flower Happy Bird are only two people, but they have a computer. Hammer No More the Fingers meld 90s Chapel Hill-style weirdo guitar with a super-tight postpunk rhythm section. Add Duncan Webster's quirky on.the.notes vocal phrasing, and you've got something way more distinctive than the sum of its parts.

Tuesday, October 16
Cat Power (http://www.catpowermusic.com/)
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This time around, Cat Power left the Memphis Rhythm Band at home, and has hit the road with Dirty (Dirty Three's Jim White) Delta (Delta 72's Gregg Foreman) Blues (Blues Explosion's Judah Bauer). Teh Internets suggest we should expect a lotta R&B covers, Cat Power-style.

Joe Romeo & his Orange County Volunteers, newly invigorated by the addition of ex-Two Dollar Pistols guitarist Scott McCall, and Mitch Rothrock of the Dynamite Bros. on bass, open the show.

Tuesday, October 16
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Promute (http://www.promute.com/)
Reverse Osmosis
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 16
Richard Bacchus (http://www.richardbacchus.com/)
The Foxes
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Wednesday, October 17
Billy Joe Shaver (http://www.billyjoeshaver.com)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Billy Joe Shaver will be appearing with a full band for this show. Plus I've heard that the Hideaway has a new chef who's intent on bringing the menu up to the same high standard as the booking.

Wednesday, October 17
Kevin Devine (http://www.myspace.com/kevindevine)
Owen (http://www.myspace.com/mybandowen)
Andy Hull (http://www.myspace.com/rightawaygreatcaptain)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Wednesday, October 17
The Loft (http://www.myspace.com/theloft)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 18
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Houstons
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, October 18
Bio Ritmo (http://www.bioritmo.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 18
Minchia (http://www.myspace.com/minchianc)
The Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Coffinberry (http://www.myspace.com/coffinberry)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Soft Company contains a lot of the same personnel as Le Weekend: Matt Kalb, Ben & Erin Ridings, Bob Wall (plus a couple of extras, including Eric Roehrig on lap steel). But where Le Weekend showcases Kalb's (Hotel Motel, Audubon Park) obsessions with prog, Steely Dan, key changes and general amusing obtuseness, Soft Company was conceived as a showcase for the songs of keyboardist Erin Ridings (ex-Piedmont Charisma). They lurch & swing & romp in a way that left me a little dizzy, and thinking fondly of Roxy Music. I'm eager to see 'em again.

Thursday, October 18
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
The Longshoremen (http://www.myspace.com/thelongshoremen)
Pistalero
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 18
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Sick Electric (http://www.sickelectric.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, October 19
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Brimstone Howl
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Three bands who consistently hold my interest, even at my most jaded moments. Cantwell Gomez and Jordan write shape-shifting songs where you can see the weight floating in the air over their heads, being tossed back and forth between the three of them. Beloved Binge have this habit of cramming two songs into every song, and then flipping back and forth between 'em, like a married couple sitting on the couch, fighting over the remote.

Clang Quartet: Scotty Irving loves Jesus, and after seeing his Clang Quartet, you'll be left believing that Jesus loves metallic percussion & intermittent squealing noise-blasts.

Friday, October 19
Einum Bynum (http://www.myspace.com/bryceclaytoneiman)
Soundpainting Orchestra
Good Luck Buddy
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is another installment of Recess; here's a blurb:

"Let's begin with Soundpainting Orchestra, the brainchild of Shannon Morrow. This project promises to be a well-rehearsed and clearly defined intuition based creation of the intersection between visualization, auditory stimulation, and orchestral improvisation. Highly conceptual and highly recommended. Continue with Nightlight loyal patron Bryce Clayton Eiman, who creates sophisticated yet pastoral compositions through a cleverly tailored quilt of found sounds, textures, static, and light. The site-specific feedback loopery and joyous choral singing of Hispanic Dance Club has eaten itself for breakfast and has come out the other end as Good Luck Buddy, a dialectic sound/text experiment rooted in laptop drones, analog electronics, and tape collage."

Friday, October 19
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Tim Lee 3 (http://ww.myspace.com/timleemusic)
Junior League (http://www.myspace.com/juniorleaguetunes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 19
Horsehead (http://www.horseheadmusic.com)
Octane Saints
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, October 20
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 20
Mingus Young (http://www.mingusyoung.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 20
Film School (http://www.myspace.com/filmschool)
Division Day (http://www.myspace.com/divisionday)
Eulogies (http://www.myspace.com/eulogiesmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 20
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
The Griefs (http://www.myspace.com/thegriefs)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, October 21
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monotonix are from Tel Aviv, IIRC. No clue what that means in 2007. Blag'ard are from Chapel Hill, and they sound like what you'd get if the guitarist from one of those squirrelly-guitars indie-rock bands of the '90s emerged from hiding/cocoon 10 years later & picked up where he left off, only with just a drummer to back him up. Joe Taylor, guitarist for Capsize 7, to be precise.

Sunday, October 21
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
The Griefs (http://www.myspace.com/thegriefs)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 22
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Georgie James (http://www.myspace.com/georgiejames)
Le Loup (http://www.myspace.com/leloupmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sweater Weather just released a debut CD full of their intimate/exhilarating orchestral art-pop. They're all (or mostly) UNC undergrads, so check this out if you're under the mistaken impression that "the kids" don't do live music nowadays.

Monday, October 22
Table (http://www.myspace.com/table)
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of October 12, 2007, grady, 10/12/2007