ch-scene - seeking synth/whatever player

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT blackstrap.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: seeking synth/whatever player
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:56:56 -0400

I'm in a new project, and we're starting to sketch out the sound. So far it's been just guitar and drums. Past projects have been punk- ranging from garage punk and surf to screamo spazz. We both keep hearing room for synths in this new band, and occasionally one of us will switch to an old Casio. But that leaves one of the other instruments unplayed. We want it sparse, but not that sparse. We want it to rock, but not in an obvious way.

Music from past bands here- Blackstrap and Black Castle:

http://blackstrap.org/mp3/
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid

We'll never actually get a set finished if there isn't at least one more leg on the table.

The ideal person would be into messing around on keys and have at least one rock instrument at their disposal too- bass would be great, but more drums or guitars could work too. Maybe three synths playing all at once on some occasions, sometime none at all. We'll worry about vocals later. Unless all you can do is sing, and this description interests you.

The A Frames are great. So are Young Marble Giants. Devo, of course. The Fall. High on Fire, The Locust, The Gossip. Both of us agree that it's really great that the government has developed a non-lethal weapon where you can train a beam on someone and they'll collapse to the ground writhing all over like they're burning. There should be songs about that. And not necessarily loud songs. The best way to describe what I'm going for is to take the balls off _Freedom Rock_ and graft 'em onto _Pure Moods_ while maintaining the ambiance of being up at 2AM watching infomercials for compilations of crap music.

Interested parties can email:

synth-at-blackstrap-dot-org

- bendy

  • seeking synth/whatever player, bendy, 10/08/2007