ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #128

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #128
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:13:28 -0400

Taproot Radio News #128
Rotation #128 - October 1, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

I hadn't been keeping up with Ben Harper since the CD he put out with the
Blind Boys of Alabama a couple of years ago. So I popped his latest CD,
Lifeline, into my player with little to no expectations and was immediatley
captivated by his soul-baring delivery. By far my favorite track on the CD
is "Fool For A Lonesome Train," which perhaps doesn't break any new ground
in terms of format for soul songs. But he nails the delivery unlike so many
other soul/r&b singers today. This week's video is a live acoustic version
he did as part of a press interview.

Speaking of nailing the delivery, the opening track of Bettye LaVette's
latest CD, Scene Of The Crime, gave me goose bumps the first time I heard
it. I had big fears about this CD. There's been a run of CD's lately where
up and coming artists produced CDs of legends, with very mixed results. I
thought the Ryan Adams produced Willie Nelson CD, Songbird, was a big
success. But the Jack White produced Loretta Lynn CD, Van Lear Rose didn't
quite gel despite very good work by both parties. So when I heard that
Bettye LaVette's latest CD was produced by Patterson Hood of the Drive By
Truckers, I was skeptical. I didn't see how the Southern Gothic Rock sound
was going to work with Bettye LaVettes' soul. But as it turned out, the band
morphed themselves to fit her style and delivery and I'm happy to say that
the CD is very strong and I highly recommend it.

This week's full rotation is online
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/09/taproot-radio-news-128.html>at the
Taproot Radio web site:
Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video Live, acoustic version of "Fool for a Lonesome
Train<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/09/fool-for-lonesome-train-by-ben-harper.html>"
by Ben Harper.
Calendar: October 3: Dexter Romweber @ The Pour House
October 4: Marc Ford (of Black Crowes) @ The Pour House
October 5: Patty Hurst Shifter @ The Pour House
October 5: Blue Mountain @ The Hideaway
October 6: Scott Miller and the Commonwealth @ The Hideaway
October 7: The Brunette's @ Local 506

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds Drugs & Alcohol (Bullet Holes) / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus
Track] / 4:57
Take A Chance On Love / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:02
Broken Down Piece Of Junk / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:44
We Are The Maurauders / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:29
Don't Say You Love Me / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 3:19
Really Rockabilly / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 3:10
Rocket Cathedrals / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:52
Mini Bar Blues / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:04
Bad Bad Girl / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:29
When Hepcat Gets The Blues / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:50
Back Streets Of Tokyo / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:48
Everybody's Up To Somethin' / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 2:47
Rock Your World / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:50
The Hennepin Avenue Bridge / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 3:09

Fight Outta You / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 4:10
In The Colors / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:57
Fool For A Lonesome Train / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline /
3:30
Needed You Tonight / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:46
Say You Will / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:58
Put It On Me / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 3:30
Heart Of Matters / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 4:31

I'm Paying Now / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 3:31
Pave My Grave / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 2:55
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 2:42
Friday, Sunday's Coming / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 3:00

Five More Minutes Alone (Time Bomb) / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The
Green / 2:29
Sunset / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The Green / 3:05
Play The Bay / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The Green / 2:32

Still Want To Be Your Baby (Take Me Like I Am) / Bettye LaVette / The Scene
Of The Crime / 3:46
Jealousy / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 5:36
You Dont Know Me At All / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 3:58
They Call It Love / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 3:58
The Last Time / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 2:59
Before The Money Came (The Battle Of Bettye LaVette) / Bettye LaVette / The
Scene Of The Crime / 4:30

This Week's Focus Tracks: Pure Gold / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:14
Fight Outta You / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 4:10
Underneath The Stars / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 3:51
All Downhill / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's Large / 3:30
Dusty Boxcar Wall / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers / 2:43
On The Outside / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 2:39
Love Train-Big Shanty / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 4:18
Heaven Only Knows / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 4:28
Love Loss Hope Repeat / Carbon Leaf / Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat / 4:19
Unforgiven / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 3:00
Put Your Cat Clothes On / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hot &
Live! / 3:19
The Ballad Of Love And Hate / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:21
Leavin' On My Mind / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 3:38
Down In A Hole / Audrey Auld Mezera / Lost Men And Angry Girls / 3:56
Melon Jelly / Soul Ensemble / Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label / 2:33
Through The Stratosphere To The Bars / The Loose Salute / Tuned To Love /
3:36
Sportin' Life Blues / Mary Peterson / Old Town School of Folk Music Songbook
Volume Two & Three (Disc 1) / 3:17
Fare You Well, My Darling / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 2:03
Listening To Jimmy Reed / Ron Armstrong / Just Around The Bend / 2:30
This Ain't Love / Shoestring Strap / Mudgrass / 4:23
I Discovered America / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 5:34
Everybody Knows / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 2:27
Cranky Mulatto / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:13
Baltimore / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 3:54
Girl In The Checkout Line / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:18
Up To The Mountain (MLK Song) / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through /
4:09
Barstool / Chris Berardo & The DesBerardos / Ignoring All The Warning Signs
/ 4:38
Hate It Here / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 4:34
Te Ni Nee Ni Nu / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan Favorites /
3:19
Goodbye / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 2:58
DJ/Promo Tracks: Wrong, Wrong, Wrong / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk /
2:42
Red's Place / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 2:43
Once Upon A Kiss / Trevor McShane / Dizzy / 2:51
Get What You Deserve / Jon Shain / No Tag, No Tail Light / 3:21
Jackson / Johnny Cash / Johnny Cash- Greatest Hits Volume 1 / 2:48
Ashes / Bucktown Kickback / Speakeasy / 3:44
Funny How Time Slips Away / Al Green And Lyle Lovett / Rhythm Country &
Blues / 4:34
Either Side Of The Same Town / Elvis Costello & The Imposters / The Delivery
Man / 4:00
Pretty Polly / Creech Holler / With Signs Following / 3:51
Home Cookin' / Junior Walker & The All Stars / Ultimate Collection / 2:59

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #128, Calvin Powers, 09/30/2007