ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of September 7, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of September 7, 2007
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 14:00:27 -0400

On Sep 7, 2007, at 6:00 PM, grady wrote:

Thursday, September 13
Dan Bryk (http://www.bryk.com/)
Michael Holt (http://www.mommyheads.com/holt.html)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show. Mike Holt was in the 2nd, somewhat-more-famous
incarnation of The Mommyheads. Dan Bryk is currently in his own,
somewhat-more-famous incarnation, as a Southern American Political Satirist.

Uh-oh. Don't oversell me on the politics. Unless you mean personal-as- political, as in navel-gazing singer-songwriter-narcissus.

Besides (Mort Sahl notwithstanding) don't you have to be an American Citizen to be an American Poiitical Satirist?

I got to know Mike Holt when he moved to Toronto after the Mommyheads broke up, and he is a musical force of nature totally not to be missed.
I love the way he fuses improvisational playing and jazz voicings into his inventive, piano-driven pop. it should be an awesome set.

Assuming anyone's not going to be in Cary watching Elvis Costello with the Symphony. *Sigh*