ch-scene - Re: Mayor of the City of Durham, NC proclaimed September 7, 2007 to be "Bombadil Day".

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Mayor of the City of Durham, NC proclaimed September 7, 2007 to be "Bombadil Day".
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

That's absolutely the wrong take. You need to
acknowledge the absurdity of a thing like this and
say,

"How appropriate that on the 185th anniversary of
Brazil's independence, the 71st anniversary of the
death of the last marsupial 'tiger', the birthday of
Gloria Gaynor, Eazy-E, and baseball great Nap Kloza,
Mayor William V. 'Bill' Bell has proclaimed it
'Bombadil Day'. Let us reflect that, on this day in
1251 BC, Heracles might have been born, and now, 3257
years later, as we mourn Madeline L'Engle, it is
Bombadil Day in Durham. Thus, through the cycle of
fickle fame, are eternal verities unveiled."

Nate