ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #126

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #126
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 07:33:14 +0900

Rotation #126 - September 3, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

Lots of additions to the music library this week. The big find was a rare
recording of a live show done in Houston in 1961 headlined by Johnny Cash
but featuring a then-up-and-coming guy by the name of Roger Miller! Great
show! I'll be working in tracks from this show into rotation over the next
few weeks.

I've been in traveling in Asia this week for my day job and managed to carve
out a couple of days of vacation in Tokyo. Of course I've been prowling
through every record store I can find. So far I've only found new music
stores and I'm still looking for a used store. But it's been interesting to
see what they are and aren't selling on the twangy front. I've seen several
modern folk types on the sheves and some soul acts such as Ben Harper and
the Innocent Criminals. The pleasant surprise is that Rockabilly is fairly
popular and my big find today awas Brian Setzer's released called 13, in a
prominent end-cap display with a hand written recommendation sign next two
it obviously written by a store employee. Pretty impressive considering that
the CD came out in 2006. I have to say though that it distresses me to see
how big an influence rap still is on the pop culture here. Sigh.

As always, the full rotation is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/09/taproot-radio-news-126.html>.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video
"Caravan<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/09/caravan-by-van-morrison-and-band.html>"
by Van Morrison and The Band
Calendar: Sep 6: Jasn Isbell @ The Cave
Sep 7: Chatham County Line @ The Lincoln Theater
Sep 7: Mark Olson Band @ The Hideaway
Sep 8: John Shain @ The Six String Cafe

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds recent releases:

Everything That I Loved Best / Spartacus Jones / A Cowboy For You / 3:21
At The Ritz / Spartacus Jones / A Cowboy For You / 4:35

Heaven Only Knows / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 4:28
Oxygen Kiss (Mudtown Remix) / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 3:44
Gypsy / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 3:27
Happier Times / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 4:13

Weird Dancing Woman-Little G. Weevil / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3
/ 3:23
She's The One-Little G. Weevil / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 /
3:00
No More Love-Liz Melendez / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 3:25
Can't Hold Out-Big Shanty / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 5:37
Love Train-Big Shanty / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 4:17

A Fighting Chance / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 2:28
Red's Place / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 2:42
That's Just A Thought / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 2:22
Who / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 3:31

Highway One / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 3:15
On The Outside / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 2:39
Rocket From The Crypt / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 2:29
Pretty Disaster / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 3:38
Don't Worry About Me / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 3:11
Burning House Of Love / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 4:01

backfill

Guitar Town / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] / 2:34
Goodbye's All We've Got Left / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] /
3:24
Good Ol' Boy (Gettin' Tough) / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] /
3:59
Someday / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] / 3:47
Think It Over / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] / 2:15
Fearless Heart / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] / 4:06
Down The Road / Steve Earle / Guitar Town [Bonus Track] / 2:46

In The Summertime / Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
4:22 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
Wild Honey / Gordon Terry / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 2:43 /
8/26/2007 8:21 AM
Tall Tall Trees / Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
1:37 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
Intro\Footprints In The Snow / Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show - March
14, 1961 / 3:34 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
Invitation To The Blues / Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14,
1961 / 1:40 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
It Only Hurts For A Little While / Johnny Western / The Johnny Cash Show -
March 14, 1961 / 5:16 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
That's The Way I Feel / Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961
/ 1:35 / 8/26/2007 8:21 AM
Goodbye Little Darling / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961
/ 3:38 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Luther's Boogie / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 2:00
/ 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
I Walk The Line / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 2:47
/ 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Folsom Prison Blues / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
2:01 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
I Got Stripes / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 1:20 /
8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Big River / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 1:42 /
8/26/2007 8:20 AM
I Guess Things Happen That Way / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March
14, 1961 / 1:36 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Rock Island Line / Johnny Cash / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
3:14 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Philadelphia Lawyer / Rose Maddox / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
4:14 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Gotta Travel On / Rose Maddox / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 2:59
/ 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
North To Alaska / Rose Maddox / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 2:16
/ 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Tramp On Your Street / Rose Maddox / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
2:18 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Down Down Down / Rose Maddox / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 / 1:56
/ 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Treasure Of Love / George Jones / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
3:35 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
White Lightnin' / George Jones / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
2:56 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Long Time To Forget / George Jones & Roger Miller / The Johnny Cash Show -
March 14, 1961 / 2:36 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Ragged But Right / George Jones / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14, 1961 /
2:25 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
I'll Just Have A Cup Of Coffee, Then I'll Go / Claude Grey / The Johnny Cash
Show - March 14, 1961 / 3:13 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
I Just Want To Be Alone / Claude Grey / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14,
1961 / 3:00 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Start Draggin' The River For Me / Claude Gray / The Johnny Cash Show - March
14, 1961 / 2:14 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM
Orange Blossom Special / Gordon Terry / The Johnny Cash Show - March 14,
1961 / 4:58 / 8/26/2007 8:20 AM

Midnight Ramblin' Man / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 3:04
Life Is Just A Circle / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 3:26
Life Without You / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 4:07
Get Hip / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 3:11
Dangerous Man / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 3:11

This Week's Focus Tracks: Hotel Ghost / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness
/ 2:27
Get It Off Your Mind / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! /
3:00
The Weight Of Lies / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:29
No Time To Waste / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 4:40
Ain't Gonna Run / Royal Esquires / Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label / 2:14
John Henry / Foghorn Stringband / Old Town School of Folk Music Songbook
Volume Two & Three (Disc 1) / 3:10
Neighbor Girl / Lee Wallin / Dark Holler: Old Love Songs And Ballads / 2:14
Quarter In The Jukebox / Shoestring Strap / Mudgrass / 3:36
Hard Side Of The Rain / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 4:21
Goodnight Rose / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 3:20
Red Letter Day / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 2:50
F.D.R. / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 2:35
On Faith Alone / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 2:59
Heavenly Day / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 3:45
Side With The Seeds / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 4:16
Funnel Of Love / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan Favorites /
2:38
Is There Room On The Cross? / Scott Miller & The Commonwealth /
Reconstruction / 6:31
Sweet Memories / Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price / Last Of The
Breed [Disc 2] / 3:24
Stage Fright / Steve Reynolds / Endless Highway: The Music Of The Band /
3:44
Can't Hide The Tears / Pete Berwick / Ain't No Train Outta Nashville / 4:05
DJ/Promo Tracks: It's True / Dave Desmelik / Unheard Of / 2:54
Let The River Keep The Time (For John Hartford) / Luke Powers / Picture Book
/ 3:01
Party Tonight / Trevor McShane / Dizzy / 5:08
Midnight Communion / Delbert McClinton / Cost Of Living / 4:10
Tulsa Sounds Like Trouble To Me / Shawn Camp / Fireball / 3:34
Doreen / Old 97's / Wreck Your Life / 3:43
This Day Is Mine / Heavy Trash / Heavy Trash / 3:06
Stella Blue / Willie Nelson / Songbird / 6:23
The Sky is Crying / Elmore James / Shake Your Moneymaker - The Best of the
Fire Sessions / 2:49
Inn Town / Whiskeytown / Strangers Almanac / 5:51

  • Taproot Radio News #126, Calvin Powers, 09/03/2007