ch-scene - Re: Schooner, Eric Choir, etc.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Schooner, Eric Choir, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:54:08 -0400

Amen! to Erie Choir. They were _so_ on, I really hope they can afford to play some out-of-town shows with that line up because (especially with "Jon Grives") they really brought their shit TO LIFE last night. The horn section reminded of the T.K.O. Horns/Dexy's Mk. II for some reason, but that was just icing -- EC were clearly so rehearsed, so at ease that they just nailed everything. Holy shit, Bob Wall is my new guitar hero.

I've never seen Schooner with projections before. Usually I approach that with suspicion as a cop-out for "we really don't want to have to bother with all that stage craft stuff" (Sparklehorse, take a bow!) but in this case, the images were just so complementary, so plangently moving that they really enhanced what was already a beautiful set. I wish they'd gave a shout out to their projectionist (or, perhaps I wish I'd caught their shout out.)

Dan