ch-scene - [Internationalist] the magical & amazing mykel board TONIGHT! at ibooks

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] the magical & amazing mykel board TONIGHT! at ibooks
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:23:50 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
www.internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

Stop by Internationalist Books for all your radical school supplies!

MYKEL BOARD
I, A-Me-Ist
TUESDAY AUGUST 14 @ 7pm
Internationalist Books is really excited to announce that Mykel Board is coming to the store tonight, Tuesday August 14. World renown columnist for Maximum Rocknroll will be here to discuss his collection of essays, I A-Me-Ist, as well as his life’s worth of work. Also: "Even A Daughter is Better Than Nothing", which also came out in '05, about his travels & adventures in Mongolia. Mykel will bring copies of his book to read from, sign, and otherwise discuss. This will be an amazing evening – you should be sure to join us. Really, scratch all other plans and show up.

OPEN MIC NIGHT
TUESDAY AUGUST 21 @ 7pm
Bring your poetry and other creative thoughts and performances. Join us for an open environment to share your latest work and thoughts. Everyone is invited. The evening will be a free-form evening based on the needs and desires of those who come. Try to bring a small snack to share with fellow performers.

WEAVER STREET MARKET COOKOUT
Join us for another one!
THURSDAY AUGUST 23 @ 6-8
Come dance and enjoy the evening and support Internationalist Books on the lawn at Carrboro’s Weaver Street Market. We’re taking suggestions for the menu (a good meat & veggie options, anyone?) but we can tell you that Dom Casual Band will be rocking the lawn with their “50s influenced modern rock between surf and Spy.” Coming and eating our food helps us out more than you can imagine, and we really value your support.

elin o’hara slavick
BOMB AFTER BOMB
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 29 @ 7pm
UNC Art Professor elin o’hara slavick has created a masterpiece for her book, “Bomb After Bomb”. The cartography of American destruction is illustrated in breathtaking images on page after page. Join us on Wednesday August 29 to hear her speak, and discuss with her the process of her work. Go here for a sneak peak & a review of the work: http://www.arthurmag.com/magpie/index.php?s=slavick

SEPTEMBER 5 @ 6: Surge Film Festival: AFTER STONEWALL (more information coming soon!)

PAUL ORTIZ
Emancipation Betrayed
WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 12 @7pm
UC-Santa Cruz professor Paul Ortiz will be here to discuss his latest work on the hidden history of black organizing and white violence in Florida from the 1870s to 1920. The work is a major work in African American history in the American south, and has recently become available in paperback from UC Press. Join us for a night of horrifying stories from a past we’re still fighting to fix.

SEPTEMBER 19 @ 6: Surge Film Festival: MANUFACTURING CONSENT (more information coming soon!)

DAVID JOHNSON
Voices of Sudan
WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 26 @ 7pm
David Johnson will present and discuss his photographs and essays from his travels in Sudan. All – yes, all – sales of the book go directly – yes, directly – to programs in Sudan that struggle against oppression, hunger, and violence that threatens every member of Sudanese society. Join us in support of this important fight.

OCTOBER 3 @ 6: Surge Film Festival (more information coming soon!)

In the fall, we’re hosting and sponsoring a series of important book groups and studies at the bookstore. More information will come in September, but you should email the addresses below for more information and to RSVP for the discussion. All the book groups are at the bookstore and all books will be available through bookstore as well. We hope to expand these book & discussion groups, so please come and support the pioneering steps!

OCTOBER 4 @ 6:30
Embodied Sexuality Book Group
Amy Stapleford will lead a monthly book group on sexuality and gender.
Email: amy AT embodiedsexuality.com

OCTOBER 17 @ 6:30
Queer Theory Book Group
Queer theory is for everyone!
Email: kaelin.Alexander AT gmail.com

  • [Internationalist] the magical & amazing mykel board TONIGHT! at ibooks, internationalistbooks, 08/14/2007