ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #121 - James Brown, Crooked Still, John Doe

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #121 - James Brown, Crooked Still, John Doe
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:50:39 -0400

Rotation #121 - July 30, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

I don't play nearly enough James Brown on Taproot Radio. I think part of it
has to do with the fact that so many of his songs are overplayed it starts
to sound cliche' to hear _any_ James Brown. In any case, I going to resolve
to play more James Brown's not-co-commonly hear songs over the next few
weeks. And I'll try to avoid the overplayed ones, but I'll just warn ya
know, I will have to play "Good Foot" before it's all over with. Speaking of
feet, someone posted to the guitar town mailing list a link to an old video
of James Brown showing us all the "latest" dance moves including the
Boogaloo and the Camel Walk. Woo Hoo. Check out the video link below.

On the twangy side of the fence, (actually the whole point of taproot radio
is to get rid of the fence but I'm sticking with the metaphor now anyway
becase I'm tired and late with the news), I have been enjoying Crooked
Still's latest effort, Hop High, quite a bit. They keep reminding me of The
Cowboy Junkies on speed.

If the Day Job doesn't interfere, I'm gonna do my best to see the John Doe
show at the Hideaway on the 3rd!

As always, the week's full rotation is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/07/taproot-radio-news-121.html>
.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Recent Reviews: Hop
High<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/07/hop-high-by-crooked-still.html>by
Crooked Still
Video: Got this from a recent post on the Guitartown mailing list
James Brown Teaches You To
Dance<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/07/learn-to-shake-your-booty-with-james.html>

Calendar: Aug 1 - Johnny Sketch @ The Pour House
Aug 2 - Hackensaw Boys CD Release Party @ The Hideaway
Aug 3 - John Doe @ The Hideaway
Aug 4 - Randy Whit @ The Saxapahaw Music Series

See The Taproot
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>for more
upcoming shows.

Recent Adds Darling Corey / Crooked Still / Hop High / 3:42
Last Fair Deal Gone Down / Crooked Still / Hop High / 4:29
Orphan Girl / Crooked Still / Hop High / 2:41
Old Virginia / Crooked Still / Hop High / 4:04 This Week's Focus
Tracks: Darling
Corey / Crooked Still / Hop High / 3:42
The Carolina Lady [aka "The Lady of Carlisle", "The Bold Lieutenant", and
"The Glove"] / Dillard Chandler / Dark Holler: Old Love Songs And Ballads /
4:17
Shake Sugaree / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 5:02
Oh Suzie / Ron Armstrong / Just Around The Bend / 3:03
Don't Think I Love You Anymore / Shoestring Strap / Mudgrass / 5:19
Love Or Delusion / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 4:06
Tears Of Gold / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 2:55
Promenade / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 5:30
Worth Dyin' For / Gurf Morlix / Diamonds To Dust / 4:42
River Fever / Joe Ely / Happy Songs From Rattlesnake Gulch (P) 2007 / 5:58
Not The Crying Kind / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 4:10
Up To The Mountain (MLK Song) / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through /
4:08
What Light / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 3:36
Tobacco Road / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan Favorites /
3:48
On A Roll / Scott Miller & The Commonwealth / Reconstruction / 2:51
Epitaph / Two Cow Garage / Three / 2:57
Highways And Cigarettes / Son Volt / The Search / 3:54
Lost Highway / Willie Nelson & Ray Price / Last Of The Breed [Disc 1] / 2:54
Turpentine / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 2:44
Passenger Side / Chris Berardo & The DesBerardos / Ignoring All The Warning
Signs / 3:02
DJ/Promo Tracks: Good Girl / The Soul Of John Black / The Good Girl Blues /
4:38
Party Tonight / Trevor McShane / Dizzy / 5:08
Marry Me / Drive-By Truckers / Decoration Day / 5:39
Touch My Heart / Mavis Staples / Touch My Heart: A Tribute To Johnny
Paycheck / 5:41
Mr. Big Stuff / Jean Knight / Stax 1968-1971 #7 / 2:34
I Can Get Off On You / Willie Nelson / Willie & Family Live / 2:08
Dry River / Knitters / The Modern Sounds of ... The Knitters / 3:23
Do Your Duty / Candi Staton / The Ultimate Fame Years Collection / 2:31
Silk Hope Road / Trailer Bride / Hope Is A Thing With Feathers / 3:03
'Cept You & Me Babe / Greg Brown / These Times We're Living In / 4:28

  • Taproot Radio News #121 - James Brown, Crooked Still, John Doe, Calvin Powers, 07/28/2007