ch-scene - stuff to do, week of July 27, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of July 27, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:55:36 -0400

Friday, July 27
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Eagle Ager (http://www.eagleager.com)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Friday, July 27
Hwyl (http://www.myspace.com/hwylmusic)
The Drownout (http://thedrownout.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 27
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 28
Girls Rock NC Grand Finale (http://www.girlsrocknc.org/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the big week-ending showcase show for the older girls' (12-15)
session of the Girls Rock NC rock-n-roll summer camp for girls.
Attendees were split into bands at the beginning of the week, and
they've spent the week not only writing songs, but also making zines,
designing their own merch, and flyering around town. It's a crash-course
in indie-rock, with heavy riot grrrrl influence, and the big week-ending
show at the Cradle is about the most fun you can have at a rockshow.

Saturday, July 28
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Illbotz (http://www.myspace.com/illbotz)
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, July 28
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
John Harrison
Ghosts I've Met (http://myspace.com/ghostsivemet)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Regina Hexaphone are due shortly to put out a new album on Raleigh's
Superfan label. John Harrison's band North Elementary has just put out
an EP on Durham's Pox World Empire. All I know about Ghosts I've Met is
that they're from Brooklyn, and contain Margaret White, who did time
with both Regina Hexaphone and North Elementary, back when she lived
around here.

Saturday, July 28
The Comas (http://www.thecomas.com)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Great Northern (http://www.myspace.com/greatnorthern)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wembley are a new band with member[s] of the late lamented Laramie UK.
The Comas don't live around here anymore, although I read in the Indy
that Andy Herrod is contemplating a move to Tennessee.

Saturday, July 28
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
The Degenerettes (http://www.myspace.com/thedegenerettes)
Pariah Piranha (http://www.myspace.com/pariahpiranha)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Queercore + crazy queer boy/girl hip-hop electro dance jamz = ???

Saturday, July 28
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, July 28
The Vibe Killers (http://www.myspace.com/vibekillers)
The Nevers
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, July 29
Dan Bryk (http://www.bryk.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Dan Bryk is a wry, witty singer-songwriter who moved to Raleigh from
Canada a few years ago, but has only just now got his work visa
situation straightened out such that he's able to play shows & sell CDs.
Because, being Canadian, he'd never dream of doing such things illegally.

He's been in the news a bit lately thanks to his tribute to NC
Commissioner of Labor Cherie K. Berry, "Cherry Berry" (not to be
confused with the Torch Marauder's earlier tribute, "Cherie K. Berry").

Hear him (hopefully) perform that hit, along with many others, at 5:00
p.m. at 88.7FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 29
Kelly Willis (http://www.kellywillis.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, July 30
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Giant
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

des_ark have been on tour for the past month or so. I heard from Aimee a
couple of days ago; she was in Phoenix, killing time waiting for the
replacement of the van's [seemingly inevitably] destroyed rear axle.
Despite that utterly classic tour snafu, she was full of crazy stories &
seemed in high spirits, so I fully expect this homecoming show to be
mindblowing.

[And with Cantwell Gomez & Jordan on the bill, it's pretty much
guaranteed to be either way.]

Monday, July 30
Priestbird (http://www.priestbird.com/)
Pelican (http://www.hydrahead.com/pelican)
Clouds (http://www.myspace.com/cloudsrock)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, July 31
Stan Ridgway (http://www.stanridgway.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Stan was the frontman for Wall of Voodoo. This is some sort of
celebration of some sort of anniversary, I guess of the release of that
band's big hit album "Call of the West." (you know, the one with
"Mexican Radio" onnit?)

Tuesday, July 31
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 2
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Concrete Bombers (http://www.myspace.com/concretebombers)
Mothguts (http://www.myspace.com/mothguts)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 2
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Adam Thorn & the Top Buttons (http://www.myspace.com/thetopbuttons)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Four of NC's best and brightest up-and-comers: Future Kings of Nowhere
make acoustic guitar-driven pop-punk, which I'm told makes them 'emo,'
but that word means nothing to me now that it doesn't mean Rites of
Spring, so whatever. The songs are catchy, as are the riffs.

Red Collar make working-class postpunk. Hammer No More the Fingers are
an indie-rock band, '95-style. And Adam Thorn & the Top Buttons are a
buncha snotnosed Mods from Greensboro.

Thursday, August 2
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, August 3
Black Skies (http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
The Rho Band
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Black Skies are a big ol' hardrock band, featuring Cat's Cradle doorman
Kevin Clark on guitar and suitably hoarse bellow. *SONS are a psych-rock
band who can space out Syd Barrett style one minute, and bring down the
18-guitar wah-wah deluge the next.

This is the debut of the Rho Band, which is what happens when local
rockers get dayjobs: suddenly the company pickup band has Chuck Garrison
on drums.

Friday, August 3
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)