ch-scene - Re: Publishing

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Publishing
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:10:21 -0400

I recently helped a friend who helped me co-write a song to sign up with ASCAP.

I was a little unimpressed to find ASCAP recently began charging a $30 "application fee" for website sign-ups.

I would be the first to admit most new members never earn a penny for years, but shouldn't they actually be _encouraging_ new members to use the web to sign up, reducing overhead from a telephone/CSR and paper-processing standpoint? Wasn't that the whole point of using a website? 24-7 access, with less demand on customer service?

Or is it just another cash-grab in the wake of truly rapetastic, pay- for-access developments like Sonicbids ($40 application fee for CMJ, anyone?)

$40 APPLICATION FEE FOR CMJ!?!?! WTF?

I would love to see a breakdown of those economics.

Do they have to pay the clubowners or something? Those gosh darned New York rents?

Are the headliner bands asking for too much money? (Well, why not get back to the original concept... a free for all partay of mostly obscure, up and coming band showcases--not the functional equivalent of Trade Show Booths for new major and big indie label signings.)

Why does EVERYTHING have to be leveraged off the artists?

*sigh*