ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] celebrate independence - don't shop at chains!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] celebrate independence - don't shop at chains!
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:28:26 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
www.internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

We need your help!
Internationalist Books needs your support to keep our store and community
space alive.
Throughout June, we're having plenty of fun events at various locations.
Stop by and
support Internationalist Books – and have a good time doing it! With your
help, we've
stayed around for 26 years – with your continued help, Internationalist
Books will be
around for many more years!

04 JULY! Unlike our government, Internationalist is tired of having
restrictions on
who gets the benefits. So, on the Fourth of July, instead of celebrating the
independence that has allowed restrictions the American government to place
on hopeful immigrants (or non-men, queer people, non-whites, people of lower
socioeconomic status...), Internationalist Books is offering membership
benefits to everybody! For 04 July, stop by the Internationalist and get 10%
of any new book or magazine.

NEW SUMMER MAGAZINE SHIPMENTS! New magazines and journals have just arrived
this past
week. Come check out our new collection!

SATURDAY 14 JULY @ 7PM
COMING OUT COMING ALIVE by Grace Lawson
Grace Lawson will be here to discuss how she, after being in a conservative
Christian
marriage, came out as a lesbian and has since found a partner, love, and
happiness. She
now wants to help out as well as hear your successful (and maybe not so
successful)
coming-out stories. Join us as she discusses ways to maintain positivity in
rough times,
and help her collect positive stories of queer successes.

SATURDAY 21 JULY @ 7PM
VOYEURISTIC REGIME: Surveillance and Countersurveillance Ethics/Praxis
Join us for a discussion group about the politics of surveillance. We will
be discussing
how surveillance and countersurveillance works, as well as the various
possibilities for
the group's future. This discussion group is open to everyone. If you missed
the first
meeting, email
daniel AT internationalistbooks.org<http://internationalistbooks.org:2095/horde/imp/message.php?index=16#>to
catch up!

WEDNESDAY 25 JULY @ 7PM
THIS IS MY HOME by Adam Rust
Rust tells the stories of North Carolinians in manufactured, low-cost
housing. These
low-income families describe the successes of the manufactured housing
program in eastern
North Carolina, and the author will discuss how this program can help
overcome the
failures of other housing programs. It will serve as a solution, an asset in
combating
our nation's affordable housing crisis.

THURSDAY 26 JULY @ 6-8PM
WEAVER STREET MARKET COOKOUT in Carrboro!
Come support Internationalist Books and enjoy a nice evening on the lawn!

PROFESSORS & INSTRUCTORS: Please consider selling your Fall Semester
textbooks at
Internationalist Books. It is a great way (and easy way!) for you to support
the
bookshop. Email
daniel AT internationalistbooks.org<http://internationalistbooks.org:2095/horde/imp/message.php?index=16#>for
more information and to find out how.
STUDENTS: Tell your awesome professors/instructors to sell their books for
the Fall
Semester at Internationalist Books. Tell them it is a great and easy way for
them to
support the bookshop. They can email
daniel AT internationalistbooks.org<http://internationalistbooks.org:2095/horde/imp/message.php?index=16#>for
more
information.

And support our friends, too! Here are some other upcoming events that we
think you
should check out as well:

Athens, Ohio
July 26-31, 2006