ch-scene - Re: Rolling Stone article: The Record Industry's Decline

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: johngreenSF AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Rolling Stone article: The Record Industry's Decline
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:24:03 -0000

On Jun 24, 3:27 pm, local... AT gmail.com wrote:
> Great article in the current RS about the state of major labels. Of
> course, I wish I had recordings of my various conversations since I
> graduated from business school in 2000 because this basically serves
> as summary of what I've been screaming for years (such as Napster
> being the best thing to ever happen to the industry, and then they
> killed it!) - glenn

How often do I see Merge records up on Rapidshare ---- 2 to 3 even 4
months before they are released...... Would the Arcade Fire have
humped it up to Number 1 if people bought the album instead of
downloading the advance copy......?

I wonder why the industry hasn't tried to shut down or block access to
all the blogs, and download sites? Google must know they are earning
ad revenue from these sites with the free downloads.... (Mp3 player
manufacturers, too... keeping their prices artificially high because
they know that people will justify the higher cost with free music)

An interesting time in recorded music these days...

>From my own personal perspective, I am quite sure in the next few
years, someone is going to "invent" a new higher bit rate file that
will make WAV, MP3 and the IPod obsolete, maybe it's already
happening? quadraphonic sound baby!

And these high end files will be sold on memory sticks at Best Buy,
and there will be a new HiDef compatible component to plug the music
into.... wait and see....

maybe the industry has conceded Rapidshare and filesharing in the
short run, to nail us in the long.....

cheers, matt