ch-scene - stuff to do, week of June 8, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of June 8, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:14:30 -0400

Friday, June 8
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Jeff Hart & The Ruins (http://www.jeffhartweb.com/)
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Dom Casual are a surf/garage/punk band from Durham. Jeff Hart & his Ruins have been plying the singer-songwriter rock around the Triangle for longer than I've lived here. Stratocruiser are a Power Pop band from Chatham or Alamance or one of those rural counties where, mysteriously, all the Power Pop lives nowadays.

Friday, June 8
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Locks (http://www.locksism.com)
The Whaling Arts
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Whaling Arts are Dave Heller (Analogue, Cheap Heat, Grappling Hook) and Rob Koegler (Cheap Heat, Noncanon). They're basically 2/3rds of Cheap Heat, with more of an improv focus.

Friday, June 8
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
The Ts
Pour House, Raleigh

The Ts are one of Karen Mann's favorite bands. Patty Hurst Shifter are an alt-country-inflected bar-rock band. Or they just like Neil Young (they cover "Mr. Soul" on their new EP).

Saturday, June 9
Legendary Shack*Shakers (http://www.cockadoodledont.com/)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
The Clutters (http://www.myspace.com/theclutters)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 9
The Fucking Champs (http://www.dragcity.com/bands/fchamps.html)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Red Fang (http://www.redfang.net/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Fucking Champs you know about; they sorta invented college-radio instru-metal. Birds of Avalon are a Raleigh Rock supergroup, with an ex-chunk of Cherry Valence, plus Craig Tilley of The Weather & all sorts of other folks.

Red Fang are a Portland band, but they're full of ex-Carolinians, including John Sherman, the powerhouse ex-drummer of Resol and Mercury Birds, and guitarist David Sullivan (ex-Shiny Beast, ex-Mercury Birds).

Saturday, June 9
A is Jump (http://www.myspace.com/aisjump2)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Sparta Philharmonic (http://www.myspace.com/spartaphilharmonic)
Jonathan Badger (http://www.nicepromo.com/artists/jonathanbadger)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 9
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Fan-Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
CR Rollyson (http://www.myspace.com/crrollyson)
Ponie Heart (http://www.myspace.com/ponieheart)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, June 10
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Shows at Sadlacks occur in the afternoon/evening timeframe. Bull City are a Durham band (duh) with Scott Carle (ex-Dillon Fence) and Jim Brantley (ex-Ashley Stove, ex-Balance); they take their cues from Crazy Horse, Wilco & Big Star.

Sunday, June 10
Great Lake Swimmers (http://www.greatlakeswimmers.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Eleni Mandell (http://www.myspace.com/elenimandell)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, June 11
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This kicks off "Magic Mondays" at the Local 506, which involves local bands and magician Michael Casey. I can sorta imagine Snmnmnm involved in this, since Seamus is quite the showman/spotlight hog. But my mind's eye is refusing to picture Rob Beloved & Eleni Binge getting sawed in two.

Tuesday, June 12
The Mansions (http://www.themansions.tv/)
Jeremy Lev (http://www.jeremylev.com/)
Chris Garneau (http://www.myspace.com/chrisgarneau)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 12
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Pacific Before Tiger
Magic Apron (http://www.myspace.com/thesoulraydio)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, June 13
Los Straitjackets (http://www.straitjackets.com/)
Big Sandy (http://www.bigsandy.net/)
Iguanas (http://www.iguanas.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, June 13
CJ Boyd (http://www.cjboyd.com/)
Small Life Form (http://www.silbermedia.com/smalllifeform/)
Promute (http://www.promute.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 14
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Elefante Elegante (http://www.myspace.com/elefanteelegante)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Noncanon are a three-piece lately, or so I'm told; the one time I've seen them since this development, their third was nowhere to be seen. Even just a phantom third member is more musical genius than you can handle anyway.

Thursday, June 14
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

HNMTF make indie-rock the old-fashioned way, with wry vocals and screwy-sounding guitars. Never goes out of style.

The Future Kings of Nowhere write a lot of catchy songs about breaking up; they'd totally be a pop-punk band were it not for the fact that their primary instruments are acoustic guitar & keyboards plus bass+drums. And accordion, saw, and trombone. Singer Shayne O'Neill has a voice that manages to be deep and yet nasal at the same time; it's perfect for what they're doing, and the result is catchy breakup songs for people who don't even like catchy breakup songs.

Friday, June 15
Wolverines (http://www.wolverinesrock.com/)
Steeples
Damezumari
Tarantuloco
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Friday, June 15
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 15
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Three different takes on bluesy garage-swamp stomp. The Moaners recorded their 2nd album in Mississippi, and it's flooded with Deep South swamp stank. Adult Film Makers are a Bad Checks offshoot, with Checks drummer Rock Forbes stepping out front to sing.

Saturday, June 16
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Barghest (http://www.myspace.com/jesseainslie)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Megafaun emerged from the ashes of DeYarmond Edison. They make trad/oldtime style music that's separated/fused via bursts of drone/ambient noise.

Will Hackney from Trekky Records sent this along:

Barghest is the work of Jesse Ainslie. Jesse used to be in a band with Josh Kimbrough (Butterflies) and Joe Norkus (Embarrassing Fruits) back in the day called Straight No Chaser. He moved to New York for a couple years and joined Castanets and toured the world. Now he's back and playing as Barghest. Its sort of psych-ambient barnfolk music. He's the newest official artist on Trekky Records (although he's not new, we've known him for 7 years). This will be sort of the release show for his EP "Thanateros" (if we can get enough assembled in time). Wil Donegan and the Apologies is led by Wil Donegan who's been a Schoolkids Chapel Hill clerk for a couple years and just starting writing these charming self-aware folk songs. The Apologies are me on bass and Jon Mackey and Casey Trela (Sweater Weather) on guitar and drums.

Saturday, June 16
Asylum Street Spankers (http://www.asylumstreetspankers.com/)
The Mad Tea Party (http://www.themadteaparty.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh