ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 11, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 11, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:56:09 -0400

There's an art opening at Wootini tonight, with art by Beth Tacular of the Bowerbirds, plus 2 more. (there's also a screening of Day of the Dead at the Carolina Theatre in Durham in the 7-ish timeframe). Rock-wise:

Friday, May 11
Cowboy Junkies (http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/)
Teddy Thompson (http://www.teddythompson.com)
Carolina Theatre, Durham

Friday, May 11
David Bazan (http://www.davidbazan.com/)
Johnathan Rice (http://johnathanrice.com/)
Ben Gibbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gibbard)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, May 11
8 Eyes (http://www.eight-eyes.com)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

8 Eyes is the twisted pop band of Brad Newell, who has been teaching music & playing around NC since the 80s (he released the first 8 Eyes CD in 1989). Wry, witty, like a less classic-rocky Warren Zevon, maybe. Excellent Ricky Martin cover, too.

Killer Filler is southern twangy surfrumental spy-soundtrack fun.

Friday, May 11
Concrete Bombers (http://www.myspace.com/concretebombers)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Tooth
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Dry Heathens are snotty indie-rockers, Concrete Bombers are skate-punks, and Tooth are heavy, or so I'm told. Perfect for a warm Friday night in the city.

Friday, May 11
Pit er Pat (http://www.piterpat.com/)
The Tiny Meteors (http://www.myspace.com/thetinymeteors)
Priestbird (http://www.priestbird.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Greensboro's Tiny Meteors feature ex-members of such Triad luminaries as Geezer Lake, Urinal & Malabaster/All Astronauts.

Friday, May 11
The Men
Dogme95 (http://www.myspace.com/dogme95)
Yellow Fever (http://www.myspace.com/yellerfever)
Alexis Gideon (http://www.alexisgideon.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 11
Snatches of Pink (http://www.snatchesofpink.com/)
Chris Smith
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Another CD-release party for the new Snatches CD, their first on Michael Rank & John Howie's new label, 8th House.

Saturday, May 12
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
305 South, Durham

Good lord, this is a huge show. Midtown Dickens are supposed to be celebrating the release of their debut CD, but instead they decided to throw a huge party to celebrate all their talented friends & their bands. I pretty much have to quote this all verbatim:

2pm -- door ( i hear its fantastic)
3pm -- the tourist (hunter has a band and a new album and its sooooooooo good). i expect it to be drizzling outside but warm and a little sunny at the northern most corner of the sky.
3:30-- Vroom (vroom is my best friend in CA (she's comin all the way to d-town--ooot!) and she's so crazy awesome and Vroom is her real last name and she has a dirty little falda).
4-- midtown dickens kinder hour set (we wanted to have an early set-ya know-for tha kids)
4:30--kimya dawson kinder hour set (ah!)
5--the wigg report--the birth of a new baby! i mean ben and his wife are having a baby at any moment. but hey, i guess the wigg also sounds like the birth of a new baby.
5:30-- bicycats--straight from the sidewalk cafe, our antifolk buddy zach is the coolest
6-- megafaun--bluegrass experimental awesomism to the max. burly time records. also awesome.
6:30-- eberhardt--swampy run-away-from-home rock. distortion, drums, trombone, banjo and a little bit of hoo-ha... soooo good.
7-- The Future Kings of Nowhere (and the naughty palates) -- cut off all your hair acousticore punk and they have a new album coming out june 23rd on 307 knox! ooT!
7:30-- cantwell gomez & jordan--i wish there was a way to type in an alternate time signature. or to make all loud music so refreshing.
8-- beloved binge-the perfect example of why gender-balanced bands are so important: theyre totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence. oh yeah but all girls are totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence. but rob is totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence, too. hmm. theyre so good.
8:30-- charles latham--music writing used to seem like greek to me and then i saw charles play and was like "oh. so this is how its suppost to be." AFSE YEAH!
9-- The bowerbirds--nostalgic heart breaking (you can get your heart broken in good ways, too, like with going to the fair when you're 7) gypsy folk.( i hope you guys don't mind the word folk) and the coolest couple around. you guys should check out some of beth's art; it's incredible.
9:30-- malcolm rollick--gut exposing amazingness. she makes shit up onthe spot and yells the truth with nothing to hide behind but a guitar and to me that takes more than open mics when you're 14.
10:15-- Midtown dickens-- theyre ok.
11-- KIMYA DAWSON! (ah! ah! seriously, if you haven't yet been blessed go do so immediately!)
11:45-- the ex-members--poppy electronic/guitar/bass/goodness with the best lookin folks in town! yah! dance! dance!
12:15-- DJs Fancy Pants & Sneakers (awww shit.)

Saturday, May 12
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Blend, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the excellent new Bull City CD, "Guns and Butter." They've changed-up a little since their earlier demos; practice, woodshedding, just hanging out have increased the southern drawl in their pop-rock. The CD walks a crooked line between Alex Chilton/Big Star and Crazy Horse.

Saturday, May 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Hwyl (http://www.myspace.com/hwylmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 12
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Alina Simone (http://www.girlwithguitar.net/)
Paper Airplanes (http://myspace.com/paperairplanes)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Bickett is preparing to shut down, somewhere near the end of the month. It's a darn shame. Raleigh is so shell-shocked and tired from grieving Kings that I'm not sure it has given Bickett a proper going-away party yet; mebbe tonight's the night.

Schooner & Alina Simone are from here; Paper Airplanes are from Wichita. All three are labelmates on 54-40 or Fight, the label that released those fine Ticonderoga records.

Saturday, May 12
Mono (http://www.canal.ne.jp/~sound/mono/e_bio.html)
World's End Girlfriend (http://www.noble-label.net/artist/?en&weg)
Grails (http://www.myspace.com/grailsongs)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 12
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, May 13
Dale Watson & his Lone Stars (http://www.dalewatson.com)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Sunday, May 13
The Polyphonic Spree (http://www.thepolyphonicspree.com)
The Pierces (http://www.thepiercesmusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I will freely admit, I had a huge emotional upwelling when I saw the Polyphonic Spree. This was before the 2nd, less-excellent album came out, and I kinda stopped paying attention at that point. But I can only assume that if they're still traveling with a fukkin assload of people, all of whom sing and play french horns and flail around like happy cultists on E, it'll still be amazing to see.

Sunday, May 13
La Fraction (http://www.lafraction.org/)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Mothers' Day French Punk Rock!

Sunday, May 13
Tiger Bear Wolf (http://www.tigerbearwolf.com)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Ho-Ag (http://www.ho-ag.com/)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Maple Stave are standing on the verge of something, not sure what. Maybe not getting it on; they seem kinda worried about that, actually. There's a nervous tension in there.

Tiger Bear Wolf are from Greensboro, and they're a huge bellowing workingclass (Skynyrd meets Motorhead, let's say) rock machine.

Monday, May 14
Sloan (http://www.sloanmusic.com/)
Small Sins (http://www.smallsinsmusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

As if to say "hey, remember the 90s?" Nova Scotia's Sloan put out a monster 30-song CD last year, and it wasn't a best-of, it was all new material. Quick, what *was* the hit? And with that much new stuff to cover, wanna bet if they'll play it?

Tuesday, May 15
Audubon Park (http://audubonpark.blogspot.com)
Frog Eyes (http://www.angelfire.com/indie/infinite/frogeyes.html)
Alex Delivery (http://www.myspace.com/alexdelivery)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Audubon Park frontman David Nahm just made good on his longstanding threat to move to Harrisonburg, VA, so the AP shows are either going to be more or less frequent. I can't quite suss out which. They haven't exactly been prolific lately, so maybe homesickness will lead Nahm to come up with all kinds of convenient band-related excuses to come back & visit. It's not as though Harrisonburg is a hotbed of, well, anything.

Wednesday, May 16
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Lud have shaken off the chains of hibernation & emerged, blinking, into the dim Wednesday-night lights at Fuse, where they're holding down a monthlong weekly residency. Come see why, for the few hours they manage to perform publicly each year, they're the best band in Chapel Hill.

Wednesday, May 16
DJ Nasty Boots
Pykrete Percussion Unit (http://www.myspace.com/pykrete)
Tussle (http://www.tussle.org)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tussle are from S.F. This show is being promoted by Tuba Frenzy/DJ Twombly, so you know it's funky.

Thursday, May 17
tommygun (http://www.tommygunrock.com)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Fan-Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tommygun are from Winston-Salem, and feature Geoff Abell, who was in Capsize 7 back in the 90s. They're kinda like that, only more stripped-down. I forget which local celebs are in Fan-Tan, except I bet Kuki's in it, because he's in all the new bands.

Maple Stave I just mentioned earlier; they're a three-piece, elastic, winding up & then flying everywhere.

Thursday, May 17
Moros Eros (http://www.myspace.com/moroseros)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 18
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
305 South, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the new Bull City CD, "Guns & Butter." It's Southern in a broad sense that encompasses bits of Neil Young (yeah yeah, Canada, yadda yadda), Big Star & Wilco. Good stuff. Also on the bill, Charlotte's Sammies, who're southern-rock meets 80s-UK-postpunk. And Django Haskins, leader of the Old Ceremony.

Friday, May 18
The Vibe Killers (http://www.myspace.com/vibekillers)
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Pour House, Raleigh

The Vibe Killers are the nasty bar-rock band of Backsliders frontman Chip Robinson. The Cartridge Family are just about exactly midway between Blonde On Blonde-era Dylan & the New York Dolls, with just a dollop of Elton John on top.

Friday, May 18
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for North Elementary. Schooner have a CD in the can, but due to complicated label release schedules (it's being released by 54-40 or Fight), you'll have to wait until August, although I think you can order it online now. *SONS already released their new CD, ~3 weeks ago; it's a big echoey slab of psych-rock, part Syd Barrett & part wah-drenched freakout.

Friday, May 18
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Gondoliers are the ultra-mack garage band who spawned within the still-warm corpses of The Spinns & the Young Idea. Spider Bags are a buncha foul-mouthed drunken motherfuckers who never heard a copy of Exile on Main Street they didn't like.

Friday, May 18
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Friday - Saturday, May 18 - 19
Soundscape Movement Fest (http://www.soundscapefest.org/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Soundscape Movement Fest is an ambitious weekend-long festival of dance, movement, music, art & the intersection of all those things. Bands, DJs, dancers, performance artists, etc: soundscapefest.org. The website seems to contain nothing but last year's info, so I can't give you more details, but keep checking it.

Saturday, May 19
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Motorbilly (http://www.myspace.com/motorbilly)
Brenna & the Blacktones (http://www.myspace.com/brennaamptheblacktones)
305 South, Durham

Saturday, May 19
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The Rosebuds are heading out on the road after this, to play their new wave disco hits for the masses. The new CD, in case you've been avoiding all mention of it, has a lot of danceable beats & a heavy bass presence. It has all the fetishistic guitar-pop fanatics all panty-wadded, but I think it's A-OK. Kelly sings on a couple of numbers in a low menacing voice that's just about the best thing ever.

Ben Davis & the Jetts are such a huge rockband nowadays, they ruled the school at their split-CD release party even though Ben had a broken foot & had to play half-seated.

Noncanon are just plain sexxxy.

Saturday, May 19
The Wusses (http://thewusses.com/)
Bringerfits
Local 506, Chapel Hill

How can you not love The Wusses? When you get a big live band (with or without wigs & moustaches) playing soft-rock hits onstage, the end result rocks a lot harder than you woulda thought possible.

Saturday, May 19
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Adam Thorn & the Top Buttons (http://www.myspace.com/thetopbuttons)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Adam Thorn used to be the frontman for Kudzu Wish. The Top Buttons are a little more buttoned-up new-wave/postpunk pop-style. He still has a dirty mouth, though. This is their CD-release party.

Saturday, May 19
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If all the bars were filled with bar-rock bands this good, nobody would ever get any work done, and the world would be a happier place. Adult Film Makers feature Bad Checks drummer Rock Forbes getting his Mick on out in front of the band. Transportation put their Queen & Wings LPs (along with dashes of T. Rex, Allmans & maybe a little Sweet Baby James) to good use.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of May 11, 2007, grady, 05/11/2007