ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of April 27, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of April 27, 2007
  • Date: 29 Apr 2007 09:37:15 -0700

> Saturday, May 5
> The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
> The Public Good
> Local 506, Chapel Hill
>
> This is an anniversary party for Local 506. Dunno which anniversary it
> is specifically, but there's no harm in celebrating. The Public Good
> features former members of the Popes, which might only be meaningful to
> you if you lived here in the late 80s.

Yeah, this is in celebration of my third year of ownership - kinda
hard to explain that in the billing so I just left it ambiguous since
the club has existed for much longer. Ideally, the show would be on
May 6th (5/06, geddit!) but thought a Saturday would be best.

And yes, I loved the Popes back in the day and believe their
unreleased album from 1990 is one of the best albums by any NC act -
it was the first cassette I transferred to digital. Sonically they
fall somewhere between Let It Be-era Replacements and Stamey-era dB's,
which sometimes comes across like Big Dipper (now I am really dating
myself.)

glenn