ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of March 2, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of March 2, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:56:15 -0500

Friday, March 2
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
305 South, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the new Red Collar EP. Cassandra Project used to be on the bill, but they're feeling poorly, so Durham allstars Beloved Binge are stepping in.

Friday, March 2
Sparklehorse (http://www.sparklehorse.com)
Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter (http://www.jessesykes.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 2
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Heads on Sticks (http://www.thisisstrange.org/)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Kings, Raleigh

Kingsbury Manx we all know, of course; they are the Triangle's finest purveyors of slow-n-pastoral psych-pop. Hundred Air are the new band of Adam Price (ex-Mayflies USA). Heads on Sticks is the solo side-project of Strange's Dave Mueller.

Friday, March 2
Red Sparowes (http://www.redsparowes.com)
William Elliott Whitmore (http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW)
US Christmas (http://www.uschristmas.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 2
Electric Sunshine
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 3
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Bombadil (http://www.bombadilmusic.com/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is Dorkfest Two. A Durham band called Salt To Bitters is also on the bill. It's up to you to determine what the word "dork" means to you, and to act appropriately. I know what it means to me, and it's probably in this photo somewhere: http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/photos/dorkfest2.jpg

Veronique Diabolique, when they aren't dressed like dorks, dress like French Goths, and act accordingly. Beloved Binge are dorky in that cute "self-deprecating jokes about themselves" kinda way. Clang Quartet is kind of ultimately dorky, in the sense that Scotty travels all over the southeast performing an intense noise/percussion show about Jesus.

Gates of Beauty bill themselves as "three women . . . three instruments . . . three time signatures"

Saturday, March 3
The Fake Accents (http://thefakeaccents.com)
The Binary Marketing Show (http://www.myspace.com/thebinarymarketingshow)
Josh Abbott (http://www.myspace.com/joshuadavidabbott)
The Sheave Room, Carrboro

The Sheave Room is a collective practice/art/showspace on the 2nd floor of the Main St Carrboro building that houses Nested. Old-timers will remember when Merge Records used to be up there, as well as some of the Mammoth folks (I think the first time I met Lane Wurster, in 1992, it was up there).

The Binary Marketing Show is a Problem of Alarming Dimensions side-project.

Saturday, March 3
AOK (http://www.myspace.com/aoknc)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
305 South, Durham

Saturday, March 3
Dirty on Purpose (http://www.dirtyonpurpose.com/)
Grizzly Bear (http://www.grizzly-bear.net/)
Papercuts (http://www.myspace.com/papercutsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 4
Earl Greyhound (http://www.myspace.com/earlgreyhound)
Apollo Sunshine (http://www.apollosunshine.com)
Moros Eros (http://www.myspace.com/moroseros)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 5
Of Montreal (http://www.angelfire.com/ga/ofmontreal/)
Grand Buffet (http://www.grandbuffet.com/)
Mixel Pixel (http://www.mixelpixel.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, March 6
Elvis Perkins (http://www.elvisperkins.net/)
Patrick Watson (http://www.patrickwatson.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 6
Across the Elementary (http://www.myspace.com/acrosstheelementary)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
These United States (http://www.theseunitedstates.net)
Revival (http://myspace.com/revivalx)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 7
Frank Gratkowski (http://www.gratkowski.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

German reedman Frank Gratkowski has been making regular stops in the Triangle for most of the past decade, thanks to the efforts of the original AIM cabal, as well as Micro-East Collective mastermind/Umbrella Recordings impresario/obsessive improvising percussionist Ian Davis.

Frank has in the past stopped over in the Triangle for a period of a few days to a couple of weeks, playing with different groups of local improvisers, doing workshops, etc. One such stopover from 2004 was chronicled on this CD, which features a mix of "out" skronks-and-creaks, and slightly more "in" but still-challenging melodic work.

For this show he'll be playing with a local pick-up group called, at present, the Triangular Quartet.

Wednesday, March 7
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

I've only heard a couple of songs from the new/upcoming Rosebuds CD, and they were much more spacey & beat-oriented than any previous Rosebuds stuff. Is this an organic new direction, or just a reflection of their long history of drummer troubles? And how will it translate live?

I got a copy of the upcoming Un Deux Trois EP in the mail the other day, and it sounds like, well, Bellafea, which is singer/guitarist Heather McEntire's other band. Not sure how she divvys up the song ideas (or if Bellafea is even still a going concern), but regardless, in terms of songwriting & performance, it's the best Heather McEntire music yet.

Wednesday, March 7
That One Guy (http://www.that1guy.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 8
Cities (http://www.citiesmusic.com)
Pattern is Movement (http://www.patternismovement.com/)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Blend is the new name of the bar formerly known as Wetlands; they've turned the backside of the wraparound bar into a cafe, apparently, and they've formalized their schedule such that certain nights are for dancing, certain nights are for chilling, and only one or two nights a week are for live music.

Pattern is Movement are from Philly, and they make crazy proggy mathy indie-rock that manages to push me right on through the annoyance caused by the weird vocal stylings of their singer, into a kind of perverse appreciation of just how obtuse they manage to be. Plus the guy's kind of amusing to talk to.

Cities are almost certainly not the same well-dressed & cute young band who released their postpunk-dancey debut album on Yep Roc last year. Are they another year wiser, or just older?

Thursday, March 8
The Big Sleep (http://thebigsleep.net/)
The Thermals (http://www.myspace.com/thethermals)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Thermals' "Here's Your Future" made the Pitchfork top-100 singles of 2006 list, and I suppose there's always a first time for everything, so here's (as far as I can recall) my first-ever Pitchfork quote:

"Picture Jesus Christ Superstar soundtracked by the Ramones, and you're pretty close to "Here's Your Future", which spins a dystopian fascist nightmare of the future with Christian folklore, while remaining vague and spiteful enough for anyone to rock out to."

Thursday, March 8
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (http://www.myspace.com/devilandthesea)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 8
Deep Sea Diving (http://www.myspace.com/deepseadiving)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 9
The Drowsies (http://www.drowsies.com/)
Witches With Dicks (http://www.witcheswithdicks.com)
Legion of Supervillains (http://www.myspace.com/thelegionofsupervillains)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

This is the last show at Chaz's; not because he's closing (he's not!), or because the floor caved in (it hasn't, yet), but because Bull City HQ opens tomorrow! Whoo-hoo!

So to celebrate, Chaz is [perhaps unwisely] giving the punkrockers one more chance to destroy his floor.

Friday, March 9
Castanets (http://www.asthmatickitty.com/musicians.php?artistID=2)
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Shapes and Sizes (http://www.shapesandsizes.ca)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's getting close to SXSW time, so we're getting our annual influx of smaller touring bands on their way to Texas. I dunno anything about any of them; I just know that this is one of those periods when it's a pain in the ass to maintain this website.

Physics of Meaning & Auxiliary House I do know about; Physics are one of the bands of Bu Hanan, and they're fronted by violinist Daniel Hart. Auxiliary House is the large house band of Chapel Hill's Trekky Records; last time I saw them at Nightlight there were like 12 people on the Nightlight stage, which is actually physically impossible, so I dunno how that worked, but work it did. That was one of the better shows I've seen in the past 6 months, actually; every inch of the room that wasn't full of band was full of audience.

Friday, March 9
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
The Whigs (http://www.thewhigs.com)
Wax Fang (http://www.myspace.com/waxfang)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 10
Dead Elephant Bicycle (http://www.myspace.com/deadelephantbicycle)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Mandarin Dynasty (http://www.mandarindynasty.net)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is the Grand Opening of Bull City HQ, a new art/music/whatever co-op space on Mangum Street in Durham, opened by a buncha folks (like Chaz, and the Midtown Dickens, and a lot of other peeps). Go by, hang out, ask questions, get involved, or just see some music. (I think it gets rolling early-style, like 7:00) Here's Chaz's rundown of the bands:

Dead Elephant Bicycle - moody, amazing, drunk poetness. Durham/Winston.
Mandarin Dynasty - folky, psychedelic, pretty, awesome. outta San Diego.
Eberhardt - swampy, barroom blues swing outta Durham.
Beloved Binge - quirky all-over-the-board, strange indie duo. Durham.
Future Kings of Nowhere - smiley, acoustic pop punk all doped up on They Might Be Giants and Elvis Costello.

Saturday, March 10
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
Alina Simone (http://www.girlwithguitar.net/)
Tigersaw (http://www.tigersaw.com)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, March 10
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an EP-release show for Un Deux Trois, who've just released a 4-song EP on their own Holidays for Quince label. It's good stuff; if you're familiar with singer Heather McEntire's other band, Bellafea, then this stuff may sound familiar.

Bowerbirds are one of my favorite bands, and as great as their "Danger at Sea" EP was last year (top-3 of the year for me, easily), their live show is even better.

Saturday, March 10
Boner Machine (http://www.unc.edu/~smith99/bm)
Lexie Mountain Boys (http://www.myspace.com/mountainlex)
WZT Hearts (http://www.wzthearts.com)
Ecstatic Sunshine (http://www.ecstaticsunshine.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 10
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Coydogs (http://www.myspace.com/thecoydogs)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of March 2, 2007, grady, 03/02/2007